GDT: Islanders @ Devils 7:00 PM Retro night

MadDog2020

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Palms has actually been pretty consistent this season...less streaky.  Some big goals too.  Goose has improved steadily since his sitdown with Elias.  And Coleman has a stubborn nose for the net.  I agree that they need MORE help, but there’s guys contributing.  

Yeah, I’m not even talking about just points and goals though. Palms, Goose, and Coleman have been good on that front. But we only have one guy right now who looks dominant night after night and is a total pain for the other team on a consistent basis. 

It's really too bad, Gusev was possibly the Devils' best or second best player all night tonight - he had a really good game - and then ultimately he went full Gusev at the end and it cost the Devils. A better decision with the puck there probably keeps the game going.

That said, the Devils lost their legs in the second period again - big time - but they picked it back up and got enough luck to stay in the game and the chances for the Devils were pretty good at the end there - they weren't limited to a perimeter game. Still, the Islanders were the better team for most of the game.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Disagree completely.  They were trailing and had to battle back twice to tie the game and then again to get the lead. Yes they gave it up and it went to OT, but the Isles are no slouch, and played just as tough and better.  If we fix a few of the issues from tonight, we're a very solid team. 

This team really should be celebrating the fact that, over the past two weeks or so, not only have they been playing much better overall and consistently, but they've been doing it against basically the best teams in the league.  The Caps, the Bruins, the Stars, the Avs twice, the Isles twice, I mean c'mon...

This coaching staff has a huge opportunity to encourage this group of players and build some big time morale.  It's been well earned. 

Yep just 6 defensemen and we'll be a much better team on a consistent basis? 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I mean, Vatanen and Subban are starters on any team in the league, so more like 4... :P

Speaking of PK, he notched his 10th point tonight...wish it hadn’t taken him 42 games to get it.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I mean, Vatanen and Subban are starters on any team in the league, so more like 4... :P

yeah but Vats sh!t the bed big time tonight so he can piss off for now too 💩. Plus I still think he gets dealt.

Actually Severson, Greene and Butcher could start on most teams too but the sum of the parts here is a major liability game in and game out.

Edited by titans04

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Don’t care what happened, hope Sami Varanen steps on a fvcking LEGO tonight. 3-1 you have to at least GET A PUCK IN THE VICINITY OF THE GODDAMNED NET

And Boqvist flubbing the breakaway without getting a shot on net.  That's almost inconceivable, getting both a 3-on-1 and a breakaway and nary a shot on either.

Yet it still shouldn't have even come down to that if Brainless Severson wasn't directly responsible for two goals against.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

You were lucky then, was miserable near me. 

I had quite a few Isles fans near me tonight, but they were fine. All they did was cheer for their team, and they they managed to do that without being overly obnoxious, vulgar, or confrontational. The worst that happened was they tried getting a ‘Let’s go Islanders’ chant going with the other Isles fans in our section, but we shut them down with an opposing ‘Let’s go Devils’ chant every time they tried. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

I don't want to take all the credit , but ever since I called Nico out in my festive Devil's song he has basically been on fire. 

That's the player we were all hoping we drafted, he is trying things again and looks confident. That goal he showed skill determination and strength.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I don't want to take all the credit , but ever since I called Nico out in my festive Devil's song he has basically been on fire. 

That's the player we were all hoping we drafted, he is trying things again and looks confident. That goal he showed skill determination and strength.

5 G and 5 A in his last 10 GP

10 G and 14 A in his last 30 GP

Given that he's emerging as the "the man" and is signed here for 7 years after this one...I have a feeling that he's going to be wearing the C next year.  And for many years beyond.  

Even with the last two losses, Devils are 6-3-2 in their last 11 GP...still ragged at times, but nice to see some guys like Nico and their game evolving.  And others like Palms who just do their thing.  

Then there's the friggin' Severson and Mueller types...bleech.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Good Lord is Severson actually brain dead or just terribly unlucky?

A little unlucky on the deflection that led to the tying goal, but I'm just done with him.  Minus Man is your classic "bad team" player...he can have a nice career eating up minutes as a transitional stopgap on bad teams and he'll have his moments, but if/when you're serious about being a contender, Severson is the kind of guy you look to upgrade from.  

He's in his sixth NHL season with over 400 GP under his belt, and he hasn't really shown any improvement.  He is what he is.  Not good.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Good Lord is Severson actually brain dead or just terribly unlucky?

The deflection is unlucky. The pass directly to the slot on the second goal was as close to brain dead as it gets. I'm pretty sure they tell you never to pass the puck through the center of the ice on your first day of defense school. 

If Severson and Blackwood are ever on opposing teams, Severson will break Daryl Sittler's points in a single game record. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

5 G and 5 A in his last 10 GP

10 G and 14 A in his last 30 GP

Given that he's emerging as the "the man" and is signed here for 7 years after this one...I have a feeling that he's going to be wearing the C next year.  And for many years beyond.  

Even with the last two losses, Devils are 6-3-2 in their last 11 GP...still ragged at times, but nice to see some guys like Nico and their game evolving.  And others like Palms who just do their thing.  

Then there's the friggin' Severson and Mueller types...bleech.  

Yep, he is taking the step, which is all I was really hoping to see from players on the team for the rest of the season, any wins are a bonus. 

Severson I think is one of the biggest disappointments for me in my time following the Devil's. I thought we had found a really good player to build around. Its so frustrating because there are flashes of a truly talented player there, especially in the opposition end. 

I am hoping Ty Smith doesn't follow the same path, it would be nice to actually hit a home run on one of our picks for a change.