GDT: Islanders @ Devils 7:00 PM Retro night

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of PK, he notched his 10th point tonight...wish it hadn’t taken him 42 games to get it.  

He's been using his shot much more effectively lately. Hopefully all part of the post-Hynes improvement the team is going through. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't want to take all the credit , but ever since I called Nico out in my festive Devil's song he has basically been on fire.  That's the player we were all hoping we drafted, he is trying thi

He's been using his shot much more effectively lately. Hopefully all part of the post-Hynes improvement the team is going through. 

Posted Images

I don't want to take all the credit , but ever since I called Nico out in my festive Devil's song he has basically been on fire. 

That's the player we were all hoping we drafted, he is trying things again and looks confident. That goal he showed skill determination and strength.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I don't want to take all the credit , but ever since I called Nico out in my festive Devil's song he has basically been on fire. 

That's the player we were all hoping we drafted, he is trying things again and looks confident. That goal he showed skill determination and strength.

5 G and 5 A in his last 10 GP

10 G and 14 A in his last 30 GP

Given that he's emerging as the "the man" and is signed here for 7 years after this one...I have a feeling that he's going to be wearing the C next year.  And for many years beyond.  

Even with the last two losses, Devils are 6-3-2 in their last 11 GP...still ragged at times, but nice to see some guys like Nico and their game evolving.  And others like Palms who just do their thing.  

Then there's the friggin' Severson and Mueller types...bleech.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

Nope, they've been 6-4-0 in their last 10  and are on a 4 game winning streak and we've been 5-3-2 in our last 10.

So hockey wise they’ve both gotten 12 points since the trade. Wouldn’t consider that to be “Taylor hall having fun!!!!!!!!!l 

25 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Good Lord is Severson actually brain dead or just terribly unlucky?

A little unlucky on the deflection that led to the tying goal, but I'm just done with him.  Minus Man is your classic "bad team" player...he can have a nice career eating up minutes as a transitional stopgap on bad teams and he'll have his moments, but if/when you're serious about being a contender, Severson is the kind of guy you look to upgrade from.  

He's in his sixth NHL season with over 400 GP under his belt, and he hasn't really shown any improvement.  He is what he is.  Not good.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Good Lord is Severson actually brain dead or just terribly unlucky?

The deflection is unlucky. The pass directly to the slot on the second goal was as close to brain dead as it gets. I'm pretty sure they tell you never to pass the puck through the center of the ice on your first day of defense school. 

If Severson and Blackwood are ever on opposing teams, Severson will break Daryl Sittler's points in a single game record. 

• Like 1

Agreed on Severson:  He's proven after 6 years he's just not good (mostly mental mistakes) at playing defense at an NHL level.

Why not try him on RW?  He's big, can skate, has some offensive ability, good shot.  Would he be any worse than Hayden?

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

5 G and 5 A in his last 10 GP

10 G and 14 A in his last 30 GP

Given that he's emerging as the "the man" and is signed here for 7 years after this one...I have a feeling that he's going to be wearing the C next year.  And for many years beyond.  

Even with the last two losses, Devils are 6-3-2 in their last 11 GP...still ragged at times, but nice to see some guys like Nico and their game evolving.  And others like Palms who just do their thing.  

Then there's the friggin' Severson and Mueller types...bleech.  

Yep, he is taking the step, which is all I was really hoping to see from players on the team for the rest of the season, any wins are a bonus. 

Severson I think is one of the biggest disappointments for me in my time following the Devil's. I thought we had found a really good player to build around. Its so frustrating because there are flashes of a truly talented player there, especially in the opposition end. 

I am hoping Ty Smith doesn't follow the same path, it would be nice to actually hit a home run on one of our picks for a change. 

54 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Yep, he is taking the step, which is all I was really hoping to see from players on the team for the rest of the season, any wins are a bonus. 

Severson I think is one of the biggest disappointments for me in my time following the Devil's. I thought we had found a really good player to build around. Its so frustrating because there are flashes of a truly talented player there, especially in the opposition end. 

I am hoping Ty Smith doesn't follow the same path, it would be nice to actually hit a home run on one of our picks for a change. 

I remember Tri fawning over Severson quite a bit early on...and others were hopeful too.  I just can't wait any longer for him to stop playing like a friggin' project with some potential.  He's forever stuck in neutral.  

He's shown just enough though that I can see a rebuilding team looking for relatively young pieces take a shot at him via trade...cost-controlled over the next three years at a not-terrible hit (though his actual salary will be higher than the hit itself)...Seves will probably get the "change of scenery and still fairly young" benefit of the doubt at least once in his NHL career, where some team thinks that they can get more out of him than the Devils could.

I could see Devils picking up a little of the money (say, to make up the difference between Seves' actual salary vs the cap hit), to get a couple of picks back (or a pick and a middling prospect).  Would likely mean that Shero would have to pick up another D of course (though as Daniel has mentioned quite a bit lately, Shero appears to have a plan that will see this D change over significantly over the next couple of seasons).  Seves has been so disappointing this season that he may have already written himself out of the "Devils as a future contender" plans.  

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

I'm on board now for no more green Jerseys for a while. We lose too much in them, in general overall, but let's do a original third jersey concept. I'm ready for it.

As much as I like the look, man do they seem cursed.  Can't argue against not wearing them anymore. 

20 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

We should have an interesting unprotected list for this expansion draft..

The draft isn't this off-season, it's next, so there's still a lot that can happen between now and then in terms of shaping our roster.  For starters, will Hughes, Boqvist, and Smith still all be exempt at that point?  Assuming they are, and with the rules being the same, I feel like our list of protected would be something like:

Nico - Palms - Coleman - Gusev - Bratt - Zacha - Simmonds | Vatanen - Severson - Subban | Blackwood

Zajac and Greene will probably be gone, so the only players of value that I think we risk exposing are Wood and Butcher.  We can live without Hayden, Rooney, Mueller, and Carrick. 

15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The draft isn't this off-season, it's next, so there's still a lot that can happen between now and then in terms of shaping our roster.  For starters, will Hughes, Boqvist, and Smith still all be exempt at that point?  Assuming they are, and with the rules being the same, I feel like our list of protected would be something like:

Nico - Palms - Coleman - Gusev - Bratt - Zacha - Simmonds | Vatanen - Severson - Subban | Blackwood

Zajac and Greene will probably be gone, so the only players of value that I think we risk exposing are Wood and Butcher.  We can live without Hayden, Rooney, Mueller, and Carrick. 

I don't see us trading Zajac and I believe he has a full no trade clause so it would be up to him as well.

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't see us trading Zajac and I believe he has a full no trade clause so it would be up to him as well.

Zajac will be a UFA after next season, when the expansion draft is. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Zajac will be a UFA after next season, when the expansion draft is. 

Ah totally missed that part. Probably right then but I could see him signing here again if he gets an offer. He seems to like it here and might not wanna uproot his family at this point. 

22 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's more complicated than you're making it. 

For starters: Palmieri, Coleman, Gusev, Simmonds, Vatanen will all be unrestricted Free Agents between now and then. If some of them re-sign that changes things, but I doubt very much the Devils will be in the business of protecting 33-year-old Wayne Simmonds at any draft ever. 

Second; Cory Schnieder must be protected unless he retires / is LTIRed between now and then. That puts us into the precarious situation of Blackwood being wide open to getting poached. I'm assuming the Devils will need to make some sort of trade to protect him -- as an upcoming RFA I wonder if it would be against the rules to preemptively give him an NMC on his next contract? That might be circumvention. I don't know. 

Regardless, it's silly to even start this discussion now when so much will change in the next two years. 

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Ah totally missed that part. Probably right then but I could see him signing here again if he gets an offer. He seems to like it here and might not wanna uproot his family at this point. 

He's gonna be 35 this year, 36 when his contract is up.  I don't know all the rules, but I know if we were to give him another that post-35 is when some weird rules come into play that can make contracts bad or hard to move, right?  What would be offer him, a 1 year deal, maybe 2 at most, for like a million a year, and relegate him strictly to 4th line duties and maybe some PK2?  

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

It's more complicated than you're making it. 

For starters: Palmieri, Coleman, Gusev, Simmonds, Vatanen will all be unrestricted Free Agents between now and then. If some of them re-sign that changes things, but I doubt very much the Devils will be in the business of protecting 33-year-old Wayne Simmonds at any draft ever. 

Second; Cory Schnieder must be protected unless he retires / is LTIRed between now and then. That puts us into the precarious situation of Blackwood being wide open to getting poached. I'm assuming the Devils will need to make some sort of trade to protect him -- as an upcoming RFA I wonder if it would be against the rules to preemptively give him an NMC on his next contract? That might be circumvention. I don't know. 

Regardless, it's silly to even start this discussion now when so much will change in the next two years. 

Exactly.  I did say that ;)  Was only writing it out at a very high level for the sake of discussion, since EdgeControl brought it up.

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

He's gonna be 35 this year, 36 when his contract is up.  I don't know all the rules, but I know if we were to give him another that post-35 is when some weird rules come into play that can make contracts bad or hard to move, right?  What would be offer him, a 1 year deal, maybe 2 at most, for like a million a year, and relegate him strictly to 4th line duties and maybe some PK2?  

Depends on his quality of play but if his play doesn't drop too much we will still need to have some sort of veteran presence on the team so might not be a bad thing to do. 

51 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Depends on his quality of play but if his play doesn't drop too much we will still need to have some sort of veteran presence on the team so might not be a bad thing to do. 

True.  I'm not totally against it, and by then he could be right with Daneyko, Brodeur, and Elias in terms of GP for us.  In another year and a half though, we'll have some guys who are turning into veterans in Subban, Coleman, Vatanen, etc.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True.  I'm not totally against it, and by then he could be right with Daneyko, Brodeur, and Elias in terms of GP for us.  In another year and a half though, we'll have some guys who are turning into veterans in Subban, Coleman, Vatanen, etc.

Vatanen likely will not be here.