Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately

NJDevils1214

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Lou's last few years is also a reason why this franchise is garbage right now. We all knew it would end that way the way he ran it

"last few years" vs. 20+ of being a perennial powerhouse is fine by me...I would take those Lou days (good, bad, ugly) over this GARBAGE any day of the week.  This is a downright embarrassment now.

15 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

1 playoff win and 1 playoff appearance in 4 of the past 5 seasons. A guy who held onto a bad coach and an even a worse goalie for far too long and was one of the worst speakers I've ever seen in his role.

See ya and thanks for nothing! 

Not trying to pile on since I actually did like Shero, but he also botched the Hall situation pretty badly. And other than Nico and Hughes he literally hit on one draft pick that I can think of right now (Bratt). 

He made some good trades (Palms, Hall), but yeah, overall his time in NJ has to be summed up as fairly disappointing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrBreeze said:

The statement says mutual decision so maybe he wasn't fired, maybe it was him that wanted out

Yea I agree. They prob sat down to discuss things and they couldn't agree and decided it was time to move on.

1 minute ago, mikepeluso8 said:

Look at Lou now...I'll wait...

You are so unlikable-- it's incredible you manage to continually raise the bar higher. 

GM's have a philosophy as to how to build a team. I thought Ray did a good job overall, but some things needed to fall into place. It didn't for this team.  Not sure what Hall had to do with   this,  but I agree the timing baffles me.  Anybody ever wonder why Marty was brought in?  I think Castron has done a good job as well, giving Ray what he wanted. (speed/skill) until he went for physicality last year. Let's see how it unfolds.  

Marty will be our next GM imo. And he'll get a couple St. Louis guys (mgmt) to jump ship.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Not trying to pile on since I actually did like Shero, but he also botched the Hall situation pretty badly. And other than Nico and Hughes he literally hit on one draft pick that I can think of right now (Bratt). 

He made some good trades (Palms, Hall), but yeah, overall his time in NJ has to be summed up as fairly disappointing. 

How can you assess his draft pick record when most of his picks are still developing?

5 minutes ago, devlman said:

The owners could sh!t on your lawn and you’d still defend them. If you’re firing him because of the PK deal then that’s really harsh.

lol yes let's totally ignore the Mueller, MoJo, Grabner, Hall pt 2, and other trades.  It's all because of PK.

We are on our way to a bottom 5 finish again for the 3rd time in 4 seasons.  We are actually on our way to roughly the same or less points than Lou's last season.  Somehow Ray escapes responsibility and the owners are unreasonable?  Give me a break.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea I agree. They prob sat down to discuss things and they couldn't agree and decided it was time to move on.

You are so unlikable-- it's incredible you manage to continually raise the bar higher. 

that's life kid.

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean no GM could have done a better job than what shero did with what he had? what the fvck were they expecting?

You can’t make a definitive statement like that. We don’t know what another GM would have done the last few years. Someone else might have drafted a little better, fired Hynes sooner, etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol yes let's totally ignore the Mueller, MoJo, Grabner, Hall pt 2, and other trades.  It's all because of PK.

We are on our way to a bottom 5 finish again for the 3rd time in 4 seasons.  We are actually on our way to roughly the same or less points than Lou's last season.  Somehow Ray escapes responsibility and the owners are unreasonable?  Give me a break.

I’m sorry your expectations were raised by Ray when he made his offseason moves to accelerate the rebuild and go for it. It’s not his fault prospects take time to develop and you were expecting a deep playoff run. I’m also not going to fire him for Grabner and Mojo because that would be ridiculous.

Edited by devlman

Just now, Nicomo said:

You can’t make a definitive statement like that. We don’t know what another GM would have done the last few years. Someone else might have drafted a little better, fired Hynes sooner, etc. 

if you go through every seasons and all the moves that were made. Keeping in mind what he had to start with. It was going to take more than 4-5 years to rebuild a strong team. It was simply impossible to do it faster. 

Unless you have some sort of time machine and draft guys with hindsight.

Almost all his trades were "deals" too that had potential. We couldnt do more cause we had no fvcking assets to do anything

• Like 1

From the Devils statement "However, Ray and I are in agreement that the Devils need to move in a new direction and that this change is in the best interest of the team". Definitely sounds to me like ownership wanted to go in one direction and Shero wasn't prepared to do that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, devlman said:

How can you assess his draft pick record when most of his picks are still developing?

Well the farm team sure as hell sucks. Anyone down there you think will be a difference maker? McLeod? Anderson? Jury is still out on Ty Smith, but even then that’s not much. 

• Like 2

Just now, Nicomo said:

Well the farm team sure as hell sucks. Anyone down there you think will be a difference maker? McLeod? Anderson? Jury is still out on Ty Smith, but even then that’s not much. 

The farm has been on fire of late and yes I do think there are some NHL players down there, including McLeod and Anderson.

Just now, Nicomo said:

it sucks but it's still better than it was. Remember our top prospect was Reid Boucher for the longest time.