Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately

NJDevils1214

Just now, Nicomo said:

I don’t understand why people are so against this. If he sucks he sucks. It’s not going to hurt having to replace him as much as it did seeing him play in another jersey. 

He could become our Sakic though...

He's not dumb. In fact he was well known for scouting other players when he played. I never assume good players will automatically be a good GM or coach (usually the opposite), but there's also nothing telling us he can't be a good GM either. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Every time I hear Josh Harris talk, I’m baffled that he is a billionaire.

that's the case with 85% of billionaires.

all cut from the same mold.

this is what happened: a major disagreement took place regarding a key decision and they both said, "fvck it, we are over it".

and walked away.

5 minutes ago, devlman said:

I don’t even know what ‘difference maker’ means but I’m realizing now that your argument is centering around having the next Nikita kucherov and Connor mcdavid in Bingo, so this is another overly-emotive reaction to unrealistic expectations.

I think you’re the one being emotional, and unfair tbh. 

I originally said “difference maker” so I’ll expand on what I meant. I’m talking about players that will move the needle a bit. Guys like Bratt for example. Ofc it doesn’t mean Connor McDavid level players. Just guys that can step in and contribute sooner rather than later. 

i like Joey Anderson, but he’s never going to be more than a bottom 6 role players. Those guys are not hard to come by. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It's hard to believe that you have no hate towards Lou when you can't bring yourself to give him even a shred of credit when it comes to turning the Islanders around.

The fact is that a lot of us liked what Shero was doing but clearly ownership didn't. The cupboard was bare and now it's slightly less bare, which is great. Regardless, something must have occurred to go from beating the best team in the east 5-1 and then firing your GM 45 minutes before a game. 

It's gotta be more than just what he's done since 2015 for him to be out tonight and not out tomorrow morning or afternoon. 

I can give him credits for doing what any GM would have done if they needed a coach and call the stanley cup winning goal who wants to take on another challenge. You wouldn't have done the same? lol

A GM letting his captain walk right after losing his franchise player is simply not a smart move. He's lucky Lee wanted to stay there in the end.

Then just for fun swap Zacha for Barzal and the Islanders are not that successful. It's all luck to some extent

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I think you’re the one being emotional, and unfair tbh. 

I originally said “difference maker” so I’ll expand on what I meant. I’m talking about players that will move the needle a bit. Guys like Bratt for example. Ofc it doesn’t mean Connor McDavid level players. Just guys that can step in and contribute sooner rather than later. 

i like Joey Anderson, but he’s never going to be more than a bottom 6 role players. Those guys are not hard to come by. 

Joey Anderson can be a difference maker. You need bottom six players to win. And for the record, I’m not just talking the AHL kids but also the kids in juniors in saying that they’re still developing and progressing nicely.

Also, why are Nico and Hughes not allowed to be included? Those are, obviously, first round picks where you get your real talented guys.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

Just now, devlman said:

Joey Anderson can be a difference maker. You need bottom six players to win. And for the record, I’m not just talking the AHL kids but also the kids in juniors in saying that they’re still developing and progressing nicely.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I don’t think anyone we currently have in the system other than maybe Ty Smith will amount to much at the NHL level. I hope I’m wrong. 

I didn't get to read everything yet because I was heading out the door to get to the game. Ray didn't lose me until this season when he gave Cory and Hynes way too long of leashes.

I just don't get how anyone can be upset by firing a guy who had 5 years to improve this franchise and his biggestb successes ended up being 2 lottery draft wins of Nico and Hughes which had nothing to do with him and a great trade for Hall and Palms. Hall is the only reason we even made the playoffs once in his tenure here. 

5 years might not be long to some of you but it's more than enough time for me to see that Ray isn't the one to turn this ship around anymore. What has he done to show anyone otherwise? 

Are we really going to risk another half a decade on Shero trying to figure it out? As a season ticket holder I'm absolutely thrilled that we finally got some accountability here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm await @Daniel's vigorous "I told you so".

Unless there's something we don't know, I'm not crazy about this happening now even if I don't think the world of Shero.  While the Devils shouldn't be selling off everything like some people have speculated, they should be selling some pieces and being a wheeler dealer is one thing Shero does very well.  I figured they would give him the offseason and would only fire him if next year was a disaster too, but I guess there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than even I figured.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, devlman said:

Also, why are Nico and Hughes not allowed to be included? Those are, obviously, first round picks where you get your real talented guys.

Because any one of us posters here would have picked Nico and Hughes #1 overall because we won a lotto. That didn't take any skill or real knowledge of anything. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Because any one of us posters here would have picked Nico and Hughes #1 overall because we won a lotto. That didn't take any skill or real knowledge of anything. 

Half the posters here wanted Nolan in 2017. But, either way that was Shero’s first round picks those two years. It’s unfair to rate his draft picks when you ignore the 2017 and 2019 first round picks we had. You take away any GM’s first round picks from two years in a five year span and it won’t look as rosy.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, devlman said:

I don’t even know what ‘difference maker’ means but I’m realizing now that your argument is centering around having the next Nikita kucherov and Connor mcdavid in Bingo, so this is another overly-emotive reaction to unrealistic expectations.

Lol that's silly.  Of course you have to use generational talents to make your argument.

Our best players are what? McLeod and Anderson?  Great, two fourth liners lol.

If that is what is considered a success in your book then I guess forever rebuilding is up your alley.

• Like 3

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Lol that's silly.  Of course you have to use generational talents to make your argument.

Our best players are what? McLeod and Anderson?  Great, two fourth liners lol.

If that is what is considered a success in your book then I guess forever rebuilding is up your alley.

Our two best young players are in the NHL making the core of what will be built around.

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I’ll give Shero credit for going Nico over Patrick, but every GM in the league would have picked Hughes over Kakko. Idc what anyone says. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

it has to be that the owners wanted to tank and no real GM would do it.

So we're going with a job posting that starts with "Must be willing to tank!"

very comforting, I mean what could go wrong?

only the most experience tankers need apply.

Just now, devlman said:

Our two best young players are in the NHL making the core of what will be built around.

Who we lucked into lol.  I am not saying they aren't helping, but like we bash Lou for lucking into Mathews when he was in Toronto I'm not going to pretend Ray landing Nico and Jack are anything but luck.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I can give him credits for doing what any GM would have done if they needed a coach and call the stanley cup winning goal who wants to take on another challenge. You wouldn't have done the same? lol

A GM letting his captain walk right after losing his franchise player is simply not a smart move. He's lucky Lee wanted to stay there in the end.

Then just for fun swap Zacha for Barzal and the Islanders are not that successful. It's all luck to some extent

So Lou took over the Islanders with the worst defense in the league. In one year they were one of the best defensive teams and won a playoff round. This is all luck to an extent.

Ray took over a very old uninspiring team. In 5 years and 42 draft picks and 35 trades, it is still a fairly uninspiring team, though one with an admittedly slightly better farm system. I like Shero, and I defended Shero plenty. But there just wasn't enough improvement from the end of 2017-2018 until now. 

• Like 4

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Who we lucked into lol.  I am not saying they aren't helping, but like we bash Lou for lucking into Mathews when he was in Toronto I'm not going to pretend Ray landing Nico and Jack are anything but luck.

Luck or not (Which Nico was not. Lou would’ve drafted Nolan), they were our first round picks those two years. You can’t complain about having a lack of good young players while ignoring the two best ones we have (who btw will be perennial all stars for many years to come). You’re essentially saying, ‘Shero has drafted poorly, look at the passed five years minus two first rounders.’ How is that fair to judge any GM?

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Luck or not (Which Nico was not. Lou would’ve drafted Nolan), they were our first round picks those two years. You can’t complain about having a lack of good young players while ignoring the two best ones we have (who btw will be perennial all stars for many years to come). You’re essentially saying, ‘Shero has drafted poorly, look at the passed five years minus two first rounders.’ How is that fair to judge any GM?

I'm with you for most of this, because when you are assessing things you have to include ALL of the young talent no matter where they were drafted, but we have no way of knowing the bolded. 

And let's not forget Bratt who was a 6th round pick who stepped right into the NHL. That's impressive.

Also Shero got us Hall which is the reason we made the playoffs.

We just had 2 guys winning gold in juniors. We use to have no players or 1 playing in the world juniors.