Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately

NJDevils1214

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm with you for most of this, because when you are assessing things you have to include ALL of the young talent no matter where they were drafted, but we have no way of knowing the bolded. 

My speculation re Lou but my point was that Nico was no consensus pick. Glad Shero was wise enough to pick him.

I think some very poor recent decision making has cost Ray his Job. I think this comes down to Ray taking too long to right the wrongs of the early season and basically wanting to burn another year and ownership not agreeing. 

Not firing Hynes early into this season I think got ownerships back up. The fact that the team has looked much improved in recent weeks had actually cost Ray I think.

His reluctance to deal with Cory in a timely manner hurt the team as well. 

The whole Hall situation was a horrible mess, ownership can't have been pleased with losing one of the biggest draws to the team for not much return. 

It will all come out in the wash and Ray will 100% find another gig. He is IMO a good GM. But in sport I don't think you get to make that many fvck ups in quick succession without consequences. Ray has paid the price for all of his missteps coming in a 5 month span.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

just heard the owner talk... based on what they said i'm scared they have the same logic some fans here have... they can only look at results and absolutely ignore context. Which is the worst possible way to look at things

That was downright scary. 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Well on their way to the third consecutive playoff birth; playoff series wins in consecutive seasons and took the eventual champion Raptors to 7 games (who needed a buzzer beater to end it)... that’s the way. 

They were historically bad for MANY years to get there though. Hopefully there’s a more efficient and prideful way to get there.

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

just heard the owner talk... based on what they said i'm scared they have the same logic some fans here have... they can only look at results and absolutely ignore context. Which is the worst possible way to look at things

Your logic is also that half a decade isn't a very long time. 

1 hour ago, devlman said:

You can’t be evaluating this season strictly based on points when we are REBUILDING.

That's exactly what the owners just called out though, not winning.   So my question to them is what is it then? They can't have it both ways.

Just now, mikepeluso8 said:

I don't catch any Ranger games out here in CA.

How has Kakko looked this season in relation to Hughes?   Curious to hear some insight here...

Bad should be in Hartford, invisible and showing no signs of coming on. And I was a Kakko guy.

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

That's exactly what the owners just called out though, not winning.   So my question to them is what is it then? They can't have it both ways.

Which is why the firing was completely ridiculous and unfair. The team has been winning lately.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Bad should be in Hartford, invisible and showing no signs of coming on. And I was a Kakko guy.

even though he's even with Hughes in stats?

14 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I think some very poor recent decision making has cost Ray his Job. I think this comes down to Ray taking too long to right the wrongs of the early season and basically wanting to burn another year and ownership not agreeing. 

Not firing Hynes early into this season I think got ownerships back up. The fact that the team has looked much improved in recent weeks had actually cost Ray I think.

His reluctance to deal with Cory in a timely manner hurt the team as well. 

The whole Hall situation was a horrible mess, ownership can't have been pleased with losing one of the biggest draws to the team for not much return. 

It will all come out in the wash and Ray will 100% find another gig. He is IMO a good GM. But in sport I don't think you get to make that many fvck ups in quick succession without consequences. Ray has paid the price for all of his missteps coming in a 5 month span.

Very thoughtful post. Hasn’t thought of it this way. Is the improvement in play an indictment?

20 minutes ago, devlman said:

Luck or not (Which Nico was not. Lou would’ve drafted Nolan), they were our first round picks those two years. You can’t complain about having a lack of good young players while ignoring the two best ones we have (who btw will be perennial all stars for many years to come). You’re essentially saying, ‘Shero has drafted poorly, look at the passed five years minus two first rounders.’ How is that fair to judge any GM?

You know good players can be found after the 1st round right? Hell, look at the team we’re playing right now. 

Kucherov 2nd round, Point 3rd round, etc  

I and others have given Shero credit for Bratt, but problem is after that it’s slim pickings. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You know good players can be found after the 1st round right? Hell, look at the team we’re playing right now. 

Kucherov 2nd round, Point 3rd round, etc  

I and others have given Shero credit for Bratt, but problem is after that it’s slim pickings. 

Post-first round players tend to take a little longer to develop and again we have some of those guys developing nicely in the minors/juniors. Btw Boqvist looks like he’ll be a nice player, doesn’t he?

Edited by devlman

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

yeah. Neither lighting it up but Kakko literally has done nothing over the last 20-25 games.

got it.

thank you.

My parents live in South Seaside Park--my heart is still there--in fact, met my wife there.

best to you--anyone from SSP is good in my book!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mikepeluso8 said:

I don't catch any Ranger games out here in CA.

How has Kakko looked this season in relation to Hughes?   Curious to hear some insight here...

Been fairly invisible the few games I’ve watched. Even when Hughes isn’t scoring he’s at least noticeable.