Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately

NJDevils1214

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I don’t think this team needs another post-Lou full rebuild. Are we a few pieces away? Absolutely. 

I’d say we’re a good forward signing, a 2018 Smith to return to form away, plus having a back-up/1B like a Lehner away from being a playoff team.

We are definitely not a full re-build away.  We just need to deal with the back end.  Asset accumulation inevitably is talent and is leaned towards forwards.  We need to deal with Defensemen and getting a solid goalie, both of which that takes time.  We just need someone that knows how to build a team to get them together.

I don’t think this team needs another post-Lou full rebuild. Are we a few pieces away? Absolutely. 

I’d say we’re a good forward signing, a 2018 Smith to return to form away, plus having a back-up/1B like a Lehner away from being a playoff team.

I tend to agree.  There should be some good free agents and not that many teams left that have cap space available to sign them.  You would think that the Devils will get a good return for Vatanen.  Hopefully there will be a good coach on the way, and maybe we once again get lucky with the lottery balls.

As I've said, the only thing that makes it curious is that Shero would be a guy you can count on to accomplish most of those tasks since he's good at the wheeling and dealing part of the job.  So it really sounds like he was pushing a full on fire sale which ownership didn't want.  I think Harris and Blitzer might also be really spooked about the drastic decline in season ticket renewals. I imagine they expect it to be bad, but if the Devils traded Palmieri, we'd be talking Panthers attendance from three years ago.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I tend to agree.  There should be some good free agents and not that many teams left that have cap space available to sign them.  You would think that the Devils will get a good return for Vatanen.  Hopefully there will be a good coach on the way, and maybe we once again get lucky with the lottery balls.

As I've said, the only thing that makes it curious is that Shero would be a guy you can count on to accomplish most of those tasks since he's good at the wheeling and dealing part of the job.  So it really sounds like he was pushing a full on fire sale which ownership didn't want.  I think Harris and Blitzer might also be really spooked about the drastic decline in season ticket renewals. I imagine they expect it to be bad, but if the Devils traded Palmieri, we'd be talking Panthers attendance from three years ago.

So looking at the UFA class next summer:

-I’d kick the tires on Backstrom and see if he wants to play wing (assuming we’re locked with Nico/Hughes as our 1/2)

-Granlund

-Galchenyuk

-Hell, I’d even call Hoffman at this point to play top 6.

The 2020 UFA class isn’t bad at all, before guys start re-signing and/or getting moved for a shot at the Cup...

So looking at the UFA class next summer:

-I’d kick the tires on Backstrom and see if he wants to play wing (assuming we’re locked with Nico/Hughes as our 1/2)

-Granlund

-Galchenyuk

-Hell, I’d even call Hoffman at this point to play top 6.

The 2020 UFA class isn’t bad at all, before guys start re-signing and/or getting moved for a shot at the Cup...

One guy I always expected them to sign at the first opportunity was Joel Edmundson to the point that I wouldn't have been surprised if they traded Carolina a draft pick for his negotiating rights.  I also have speculated that they would try and trade for Dylan Samberg, perhaps as part of a Sami Vatanen trade.  You look at the 2019 draft, the trade for Bahl and the rumblings that the Devils were trying to trade for Edmundson in the offseason, and you get the sense that they want a different kind of defense for the long run than they've had for the past three or four years.  Perhaps that'll still be the strategy if it was more Fitzgerald's idea (who is closer to the scouting aspect) than Shero's. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Did you read one page and then talk about what we are and aren’t discussing? The 76ers in specific have been mentioned multiple times already. 

you haven’t made a single coherent and non-hyperbolic point yet. We’re all eagerly awaiting; but I guess you’ll just go away again because we’re all idiots.

OMFG you think that real people are have time to read 12 pages in a couple hours' time?! The real answer is that the owners ARE the problem if they were brought up that often.  You go live the 6ers plight with these douchebag owners and live it again with the Devils like i am.  I'm sure you read it on this thread but that's it.  Live it and you'll understand in another few years.  Judging off this board, it'll take you a bit more.

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Since you clearly have the reading comprehension of a third grader, I’ll save you the trouble of having to use your pointer fingers to type out any more messages and just add you to ignore. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Wow; Ok.  So I'm supposed to respond to do the Devils how?   This is purely ad hominem.  If everyone was were this way the Devils are going to be in deep shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.  Oh wait.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I’d say we need another top 4 d-man more than a forward. Our top 6 is playing great right now. Even if Smith does crack the lineup he’ll have to be eased in, likely on the 3rd pairing. 

2 hours ago, themightyall said:

I gave up on this website because how pro the ownership they were and randomly looked to see what people said with this.  Only @dvelman is making sense.  This ownership is a dumpster fire.  They don't know how to build a team.

At least on topic:  What did Shero do that made this team ostensibly better?  He tanked his way to some draft picks; anyone can do that.

All you have to do is look at the 6ers.  This ownership takes a GM to follow tanking to build talent.  That GM knew how to build it up and then they fire them because of whatever reason good or bad (you think 6ers fans aren't saying the exact same thing you did a few years ago with Hinke?).  This ownership doesn't want to win; they want to tease winning. 

You literally complain that Shero did nothing but tank in this post then complain about the owners who just fired the guy who did nothing but tank. If they were content with tanking they could have just left Shero in then.

Firing the coach and GM in the same season sure as hell doesn't tease winning anytime soon even if it needed to be done. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, devlman said:

"A great leader isn't with us anymore and he's the reason we're all in this room, and we owe him a ton of credit for the job he did and obviously the future is extremely bright here thanks to Ray Shero.”

- Blake Coleman

When's the last time an NHL player said "that guy sucked and deserved to be fired" lol

The vast majority of these guys say the right things, whether they are true or not

I'm still happy with this move. I also don't think I said a bad thing about Ray before this season. He lost me completely this season when he gave Hynes and Cory way too long of a leash. Hynes should have been fired last year.

It sure is interesting to see so many saying that it could be oh so much worse with other GMs when we have finished...

2015-16 - 7th out of 8 in the division

2016-17 - 8th out of 8 in the division 

2017- 18 - 4th out of 8 in the division with a one of a kind mvp season by Hall which still barely got us into the playoffs before getting crushed by Tampa in 5

2018-19 - 8th out of 8 in the division 

2019-20 - are on pace for 8th out of 8 in the division when the firing took place.

Doesn't get much lower than that. Last in the division 3 out of the 5 years and only 1 playoff appearance with 1 measly playoff game win.

Can't say I'm really concerned that someone can do much worse than that in a 5 year stretch. It's really not a high bar to beat. 

• Like 2

I guess depending on what's happening in the next few months... we'll automatically know what direction the owners wanted and what direction Shero wanted...

But i guess it's not hard to guess that the owners want to win now and Shero was willing to be patient making sure to make the right steps at the right time to build an actual team that could win a cup, not only a team able to make the playoffs.

Which is scary cause making win-now moves if you're not ready usually translate into sacrificing the future, taking a step back or getting stuck being a perennial bubble team not able to get to the next level.

29 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm still happy with this move. I also don't think I said a bad thing about Ray before this season. He lost me completely this season when he gave Hynes and Cory way too long of a leash. Hynes should have been fired last year.

It sure is interesting to see so many saying that it could be oh so much worse with other GMs when we have finished...

2015-16 - 7th out of 8 in the division

2016-17 - 8th out of 8 in the division

2017- 18 - 4th out of 8 in the division with a one of a kind mvp season by Hall which still barely got us into the playoffs before getting crushed by Tampa in 5

2018-19 - 8th out of 8 in the division 

2019-20 - are on pace for 8th out of 8 in the division when the firing took place.

Doesn't get much lower than that. Last in the division 3 out of the 5 years and only 1 playoff appearance with 1 measly playoff game win.

Can't say I'm really concerned that someone can do much worse than that in a 5 year stretch. It's really not a high bar to beat. 

You know that no GM given this sh!t roster and no prospects or assets with any value for trades could have done much better in only 5 years right? 

You do understand the first few seasons were about getting rid of the deadweight, getting rid of the bad contracts and building a young core that could eventually win a cup. Then most players you draft takes a few years to make the NHL and have an impact. 

Honestly what's so hard to understand here? LOOK AT THIS GODDAMN ROSTER!!! Our top scorer had 42 pts the year before Shero took over and they were all seconds away from retiring, with no prospects to take over !!! Not a single core player you can build around in there either.

How can anyone point out to the first few seasons with Shero and blame him is mindblowing to me. What Shero is leaving to the next GM is a LOT better than what he got when he came in

Cammalleri (33) - Henrique (25) - Jagr (43)

Ryder (35) - Zajac (29) - Brunner (29)

Elias (39) - Gomez (34) - Zubrus (37)

Tootoo (32) - Josefon (24) - Bernier (30)

Ryder (35) - Gionta (32) - Havlat (34) - Ruutu (32)

Greene (33) - Larsson (23)

Zidlicky (38) - Merrill (23)

Severson (21) - Salvador (39)

Gelinas (24) - Harrold (32)

Schneider (29)

Kinkaid (26)

Edited by SterioDesign

One can argue either way on Ray.  I think he was was a bit unlucky that some of his moves that looked very good on paper didn’t pan out - like Mojo, Grabner a few more come to mind. You’d think that they all needed to pan out in order for this franchise to either have won a playoff series by virtue of getting a higher seed (they sure weren’t Tampa-level) or be much better team last 1.5 years. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

You know that no GM given this sh!t roster and no prospects or assets with any value for trades could have done much better in only 5 years right? 

You do understand the first few seasons were about getting rid of the deadweight, getting rid of the bad contracts and building a young core that could eventually win a cup. Then most players you draft takes a few years to make the NHL and have an impact. 

Honestly what's so hard to understand here? LOOK AT THIS GODDAMN ROSTER!!! Our top scorer had 42 pts the year before Shero took over and they were all seconds away from retiring, with no prospects to take over !!! Not a single core player you can build around in there either.

How can anyone point out to the first few seasons with Shero and blame him is mindblowing to me. What Shero is leaving to the next GM is a LOT better than what he got when he came in

Cammalleri (33) - Henrique (25) - Jagr (43)

Ryder (35) - Zajac (29) - Brunner (29)

Elias (39) - Gomez (34) - Zubrus (37)

Tootoo (32) - Josefon (24) - Bernier (30)

Ryder (35) - Gionta (32) - Havlat (34) - Ruutu (32)

Greene (33) - Larsson (23)

Zidlicky (38) - Merrill (23)

Severson (21) - Salvador (39)

Gelinas (24) - Harrold (32)

Schneider (29)

Kinkaid (26)

We don't have a single goal scorer that has hit 20 goals yet and our highest scorer has 31 points. 

I've clearly stated that Lou deserved to be fired and that I agree he left this team in rough shape but last season and this current season have been absolutely disasters and someone has to be held responsible for it. Ray showed he isn't the guy to turn this around when he didn't fire his buddy Hynes last season. 

I'd rather not wait another 5 years to see what Ray might do with this team. When is the Lou excuse going to die off since the team barely has anyone left from that era? 

From tonight's game but what has basically been the same roster as last season and we have barely any Lou leftovers. When does that well excuse finally run dry when Sheros roster that is mainly made up of his own guys that finished dead last in the division last year and were on pace to do so again this year at the time of his firing? 

We have 6 of Lou's leftovers left and Cory barely counts anymore and Coleman is our second highest goal scorer and our hardest competing guy every game...

Zacha (Shero) Nico (Shero) Bratt (Shero)

Coleman (Lou) Zajac (Lou) Guzev (Shero) 

Wood (Lou) Hughes (Shero) Simmonds (Shero) 

Boquist (Shero) Rooney (Shero) Hayden (Shero) 

Greene (Lou) Subban (Shero) 

Severson (Lou) Vatanan (Shero) 

Butcher (Shero) Carrick (Shero) 

Domingue (Shero) Cory (Lou) 

Scratches

Palms (Shero)

Mueller (Shero)

Blackwood (Shero) 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

Very thoughtful post. Hasn’t thought of it this way. Is the improvement in play an indictment?

It has to have factored in. 

I mean we could all see they this team was going nowhere under Hynes at least a month before he was let go, if not longer. 

If I was the owners and I saw the up turn in play after such a straight forward decision I would certainly be thinking "ok why didn't we try this when there was still a season to be played". Ray left it to the point where it basically became impossible to salvage the season. 

Ownership are recieving a lot of stick for the timing of this, but I think if they were going to part ways at the end of the season then they are better doing it now before Ray has the chance to make more changes. 

The decision seems to have been made a lot easier by having Fitz on board. The guy was basically touted to take over somewhere every time there was a GM vacancy. He has been directly involved behind the bench, so he is aware of that locker room. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

we have young players doing well in juniors, we didn't even have that in 2015 we had no players in the world juniors

Wood played that year for USA. The world juniors don't always equate to NHL success either. Jeff Frazee was amazing in that tournament and look how that turned out. 

Edited by Satans Hockey