Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately

NJDevils1214

7 minutes ago, nessus said:

This doesn't surprise me. If the philosophical differences were centered around whether to go into another rebuild, I would bet that Shero wasn't the tank proponent. Harris can say a lot of things in press conferences, but we'll see if he actually cares about winning this season. It doesn't seem like he had that philosophy with the Sixers.

The NBA is a different beast.  Never liked that comparison...just don't think that it's fair.  

If anything, I think you have proof that they do indeed care about winning here...once they decided that Shero wasn't the right guy to see this thing through, they let him go, no hesitation.  Like I said earlier, how many dead-men-walking GMs and HCs have you seen get the rest of the year in lost seasons, at which point there's going to be an "evaluation", where we all know they're already toast?  Obviously the fact that Shero being fired came as a shock to many of us shows that this isn't exactly that type of a situation...but even if ownership had decided that Shero was no longer their man, they wouldn't be the first group to wait until after the season was over to can him.   

Do not want Marty as GM. 

First, just because he was an all time great goaltender for us doesnt mean Marty is going to be a competent GM and im very worried that the majority of our fanbase wont be able to be objective about the job hes doing... which will lead to an even longer period of suckage. Who wants to be the President/owner that is going to fire Marty? 

Edited by Toasterleavins
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Toasterleavins said:

Do not want Marty as GM. 

First, just because he was an all time great goaltender for us doesnt mean Marty is going to be a competent GM and im very worried that the majority of our fanbase wont be able to be objective about the job hes doing... which will lead to an even longer period of suckage. Who wants to be the President/owner that is going to fire Marty? 

What does it matter? Owners own, they can hire and fire whomever they want. If the team stinks and it's Marty's fault - believe me -e veryone will be on the fire him bandwagon. 

Sakic, Neely, Shanny, Francis, others - these guys have been positive.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Do not want Marty as GM. 

This ownership has no loyalties or connections to Marty. I don’t see why they would hesitate to replace him if he wasn’t getting the job done. 

im praying to god the owners are not pushing for a full win-now approach.

First of all in the situation we're in how to you even do that? Signing players in the offseason to bad contracts is usually the way to go but there's no guarantee that anyone we'd "really" want be available or want to come here.

fvck sakes, we had a GM with the right mentality to at least make the "right steps" and they fired him. It's never guaranteeing results but at least it's not hurting you too much long-term

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lazer said:

There was aquick shot of the owners box after the win, marty and fitz.

Fitz was out like he could care less, dude is shook for sure.

Marty wanted to hi five and hug or wtv and could also care less about the win lol

Im sure theres agif for that 🙌

You might be going a little deep into the conspiracy theories here. He's fiving and hugging so he didn't care about the win? 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Based on quotes from ownership, sounds like they wanted to win and grew tired of waiting for it to happen under Shero.  Also doubt they let Shero take on PK's money if they wanted to build through the draft.  Or trade for and then sign an unproven Gusev to pretty decent coin.  

The owner gave a generic quote about winning. That’s it. Didn’t mean Shero didn’t want to. They all could have been on board with winning with the offseason moves and with it exploding in our faces Shero is realizing we aren’t going to win right now so let’s continue adding to our Nico/Bratt/Jack core with players that age. To me, it’s stupid to not get a first round pick back for Sami vatanen. Sami is a good player but he’s not quite on the timeline. Id trust Ray Shero than Josh Harris over that hockey decision.

Edited by devlman

53 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

What does it matter? Owners own, they can hire and fire whomever they want. If the team stinks and it's Marty's fault - believe me -e veryone will be on the fire him bandwagon. 

Sakic, Neely, Shanny, Francis, others - these guys have been positive.

Only one of those approaches the level of hero worship this fanbase has for Marty imo and thats Sakic, who's team is finally having a good season. 

I wont be hugely upset if its Marty, and Ill obviously be rooting for the teams success. The Devils have now been bad so long im just tired of it, and would be in favor of not having a first time gm at the helm.

yeah i mean... most GM come with some sort of supporting group they worked with and know work well together... just like on the ice of behind the bench... you need a good chemistry to have something special.

I'm just not sure who someone like Marty has and what kind of supporting group he could bring in

• Like 1

Everyone is just assuming Marty will be a bad GM. I'm not sure that's the case. Maybe having a guy who's been a player, and a successfully player and a winner, is not a bad idea. 

That said, it could be an awful idea, we'll never know until we try. 

• Like 3

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Everyone is just assuming Marty will be a bad GM. I'm not sure that's the case. Maybe having a guy who's been a player, and a successfully player and a winner, is not a bad idea. 

I’m afraid of having to one day fire Martin Brodeur. That’s why I’d prefer he not be GM.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Look at Steve starting to drop some hot takes on twitter.

He'd best be careful or he might be next :lol: 

Based on Dano's behavior I thought all members of the broadcast team were required to be glorified cheerleaders and company men/people.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I haven't been on and cannot read this entire thread. But CR76 says it all right here ^^^^

Did we all hear Harris yesterday?   This guy knows less about hockey than I do for God's sake.

Who we gonna get now?  The Oilers GM we got Hall from?  And Marty making personnel decisions?   lol, what a way to spoil your legacy.

I trusted Shero. Mistakes happen. FA's do not want to come here. Retaining good players will be hard.

Bad decision, IMO

I think it's quite unfair to judge Marty without giving him a chance.  He was in St. Louis for a few years and I'm sure learned quite a bit, and he's been here for a couple.  I'm not going to say he's going to be great, but he should at least be given a shot before you say he won't do a good job.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Only one of those approaches the level of hero worship this fanbase has for Marty imo and thats Sakic, who's team is finally having a good season. 

I wont be hugely upset if its Marty, and Ill obviously be rooting for the teams success. The Devils have now been bad so long im just tired of it, and would be in favor of not having a first time gm at the helm.

Well an experienced Cup winning GM didn’t work out either...

34 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i mean... most GM come with some sort of supporting group they worked with and know work well together... just like on the ice of behind the bench... you need a good chemistry to have something special.

I'm just not sure who someone like Marty has and what kind of supporting group he could bring in

Marty has been around the NHL longer than Shero. I’m sure he’s made a contact or two...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, devlman said:

The owner gave a generic quote about winning. That’s it. Didn’t mean Shero didn’t want to. They all could have been on board with winning with the offseason moves and with it exploding in our faces Shero is realizing we aren’t going to win right now so let’s continue adding to our Nico/Bratt/Jack core with players that age. To me, it’s stupid to not get a first round pick back for Sami vatanen. Sami is a good player but he’s not quite on the timeline. Id trust Ray Shero than Josh Harris over that hockey decision.

Never said Shero didn't want to win.  Just that it's possible that his (revised) timeline didn't line up with what the owners had in mind...especially when a number of his moves post-Palms and Hall didn't work out as hoped.  

Sami's not bringing back a first-rounder...I could see a second + something else though.  

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

im praying to god the owners are not pushing for a full win-now approach.

First of all in the situation we're in how to you even do that? Signing players in the offseason to bad contracts is usually the way to go but there's no guarantee that anyone we'd "really" want be available or want to come here.

fvck sakes, we had a GM with the right mentality to at least make the "right steps" and they fired him. It's never guaranteeing results but at least it's not hurting you too much long-term

The good news is if the next GM decides to be aggressive in trying to accelerate this (and is able to not just throw obscene amounts of money around), Shero couldn't have left him with more flexibility to do it, as far as the cap goes.  And of course there's some good young pieces here...lots of teams would kill for Hischier and Hughes (even with Hughes clearly needing seasoning).  

It gets a little more dicey when it comes to draft picks, though not too much...no second-rounders the next two seasons, and no third-rounder this year.  Of course, the Devils should pick twice in the first round this year.  

Shero's drafts with the Devils are also looking pretty iffy at this point, though it's too early to fully evaluate that part of his tenure here.

I do think you're biased enough when it comes to Shero that the Devils could have been in a similar spot 2-3 seasons from now and you probably wouldn't have gotten on him for too much.  Though I was definitely on board with Shero getting some more time and would have given it to him, I can also see why some (including ownership) would start to wonder about him continuing to be the GM here.  I said when he first got here that his legacy might very well be built here, and in ways it has...for now, he's the guy who inherited a boatload in Pittsburgh and was able to win with it...here not so much, even with #1OA picks to work with (and another in his lineup due to a shrewd deal).  To be clear, I think he'll land on his feet and if I'm a team in search of a GM, I would definitely give him a call...I do recognize that the situation he came into here was brutal (not helped one bit by Cory falling apart), and I think he did some good things (I thought he showed tremendous creativity with some of his moves)...enough that yeah, I was willing to give him about another year.  But I think until he lands his next job and has success and does it without having Crosby and Malkin as part of the mix, in many circles he'll be perceived as the guy who had enough to start with that several GMs could've won in Pitt, and who couldn't turn a team around without those luxuries despite 4.5 seasons on the job in his next gig.  When he inevitably does get hired to be another team's GM (I can't see him not getting another chance unless he doesn't want it), I'll definitely be paying attention.