Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately

NJDevils1214

On 2/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, titans04 said:

That's cool, I mean we've done so many great things as an org over the last 13 years. Things like  not having won a single playoff round and counting this season missing the playoffs 8 of those 13 years.  We've won twice as many ping pong lotteries than playoff series during those years, we have placeholders in the head coaching and GM slots.  Our owners continue to sound like they really don't get it either.  If you believe some of the posts yesterday they're now resorting to giving away even more tickets than usual to try and save face on ST sales for next season.

For me there's no more traction in holding onto having won three cups in what feels like a lifetime ago.

If it's against the rules to say Jack hasn't done much of anything more often than not then we should be required to wear red and black blinders when commenting here. Doesn't mean he will never grow into a much better player over time, it means he hasn't been that this season.

13 years?  2012 was 8 years ago, they absolutely won playoff rounds that year.  They've missed the playoffs 8 out of the last 10 years, which is bad enough though.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

13 years?  2012 was 8 years ago, they absolutely won playoff rounds that year.  They've missed the playoffs 8 out of the last 10 years, which is bad enough though.

Yeah my bad!

3 playoff round wins in 13 seasons (counting this one).  2012 clearly an exceptional year with all 3 round wins of the decade +.

Edited by titans04

On 1/31/2020 at 11:00 PM, Nicomo said:

Yeah, Nico definitely should be 1C, I think Hughes only filled in when Nico missed a few games. 

Playing with scrubs can’t be helping his development though. I’m sure he’s not used to having such bad linemates, bad coaching, bad defense...

Hughes needs protection to play with Simmons/Woody under the circumstances Hughes playing w/ Bratt/Palm is a dwarf line, stupid. Will win no board battle.  Hughes/Bratt both easily knocked off the puck. Hughes playing on 1st line w/ those two is wrong. In fact Nico needs a bigger body on his line to help him. He's getting his ass beaten nightly. If you think Boquist is the answer, ..................you're killing me.

31 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Hughes needs protection to play with Simmons/Woody under the circumstances Hughes playing w/ Bratt/Palm is a dwarf line, stupid. Will win no board battle.  Hughes/Bratt both easily knocked off the puck. Hughes playing on 1st line w/ those two is wrong. In fact Nico needs a bigger body on his line to help him. He's getting his ass beaten nightly. If you think Boquist is the answer, ..................you're killing me.

The answer for size on Hughes’ line would be Miles Wood from his 19 goal season, if anyone could find that guy. 

48 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Smaller guys are playing together all over the league these days, and Wood and Simmonds are accomplishing nothing anyway, so who cares? 

Hughes needs to play with someone who can finish. Be it Palms, Coleman, or whoever. 

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The answer for size on Hughes’ line would be Miles Wood from his 19 goal season, if anyone could find that guy. 

I know some people thought Coleman was the one who overachieved and would never come close to last years production again, but it’s looking more and more like that’s going to be the case with Wood. 10-15 goals a season kind of feels like his ceiling at this point. 

• 1 month later...

Larry brooks just tweeted over the weekend that Mike Gillis had a 2nd interview with the Devils? Why the hell are they so enamored with this guy.  Fitz did a great job at trade deadline. Give him a shot. He knows all the prospects in the system. And although he was close to Ray and learned from him, he's his own man. How "hands on" is Harris/Blitzer going to be? You can't run a team based mostly on analytics. Even if it's short term.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Larry brooks just tweeted over the weekend that Mike Gillis had a 2nd interview with the Devils? Why the hell are they so enamored with this guy.  Fitz did a great job at trade deadline. Give him a shot. He knows all the prospects in the system. And although he was close to Ray and learned from him, he's his own man. How "hands on" is Harris/Blitzer going to be? You can't run a team based mostly on analytics. Even if it's short term.

It is concerning.  The theory running in my head now is that the owners are convinced the team is closer to contention than they really are and Gillis is just a "yes man" who will say anything to get this job.

40 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I have a bad feeling Gillis will get the job because of the analytics bullsh!t. Which sucks, because I like Fitz, and he’ll probably go somewhere else and do a great job. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I have a bad feeling Gillis will get the job because of the analytics bullsh!t. Which sucks, because I like Fitz, and he’ll probably go somewhere else and do a great job. 

That’s the worst part for me, he’s going to be a great GM somewhere. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Do we know for sure he’s interviewing for the GM spot though? Could be for another FO position. I keep seeing it mentioned that Gillis doesn’t even want to be a GM again. 

11 minutes ago, devlman said:

I will really be pissed if that clown Gillis is hired. Haven’t agreed with any of the personnel decisions coming from the pro-tank owners. 
Give the job to Fitz.

Owners are not pro-tank.

Shero made moves that were designed to expedite a return to consistent contention and was allowed to spend money to do it (taking on all of PK's remaining money, paying a fair amount for an unproven Goose, etc).  They didn't work out.  But Plan A this season obviously didn't involve punting the season.  

But yeah, I'm all on board with Fitz getting the job.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Owners are not pro-tank.

Shero made moves that were designed to expedite a return to consistent contention and was allowed to spend money to do it (taking on all of PK's remaining money, paying a fair amount for an unproven Goose, etc).  They didn't work out.  But Plan A this season obviously didn't involve punting the season.  

But yeah, I'm all on board with Fitz getting the job.  

Owners have a strong history of tanking with the Sixers. Shero made those moves and got fired and then they authorized all the selling off. All the evidence points to pro-tank.

Edited by devlman

Just now, devlman said:

Owners have a strong history of tanking with the Sixers. Shero made those moves and got fired and then authorized all the selling off. All the evidence points to pro-tank.

The NBA is a different beast.  You are way oversimplifying in trying to make a point.  

None of the evidence points to pro-tank...the team wasn't playing well, and a good chunk of that fell on Shero's moves (like I've said many times, I think he did have his share of rotten luck here)...I did like him and I would have given him another season, but the team didn't progress enough from a pure results standpoint under his watch, and when the team was SCREAMING for a coaching change, he waited too long to make it.  As for the "selling off", that's not uncommon practice when you have guys who are going to leave, or guys whose value is higher than it might be otherwise.  Devils absolutely should have been sellers at the time and I have no issue with them going in that direction.

All I've seen these owners do is give their GMs considerable freedom to spend money and make moves.  They did that with Lou, and they did the same with Shero.  Lou wouldn't blow up what sorely needed to be...so yeah, that and years of poor drafting helped to lead to some lean years.  Shero had to come in and try to build both the AHL and NHL teams with not very much to work with initially.  The team's overall record the past couple of years isn't good, but he left considerably more behind than did his predecessor.  I'd like to see what Fitz can do...I don't think this team is as far away from being decent and on the upswing as some do, I really don't.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The NBA is a different beast.  You are way oversimplifying in trying to make a point.  

None of the evidence points to pro-tank...the team wasn't playing well, and a good chunk of that fell on Shero's moves (like I've said many times, I think he did have his share of rotten luck here)...I did like him and I would have given him another season, but the team didn't progress enough from a pure results standpoint under his watch, and when the team was SCREAMING for a coaching change, he waited too long to make it.  As for the "selling off", that's not uncommon practice when you have guys who are going to leave, or guys whose value is higher than it might be otherwise.  Devils absolutely should have been sellers at the time and I have no issue with them going in that direction.

All I've seen these owners do is give their GMs considerable freedom to spend money and make moves.  They did that with Lou, and they did the same with Shero.  Lou wouldn't blow up what sorely needed to be...so yeah, that and years of poor drafting helped to lead to some lean years.  Shero had to come in and try to build both the AHL and NHL teams with not very much to work with initially.  The team's overall record the past couple of years isn't good, but he left considerably more behind than did his predecessor.  I'd like to see what Fitz can do...I don't think this team is as far away from being decent and on the upswing as some do, I really don't.  

Agree re everything said about Shero. He ultimately had to go for hanging onto Hynes way too long, although one could argue Hynes had nothing to do with the terrible goaltending. The owners though are no strangers to tanking and will have no trepidation when they feel they aren’t contending for a playoff spot imo. 

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Agree re everything said about Shero. He ultimately had to go for hanging onto Hynes way too long, although one could argue Hynes had nothing to do with the terrible goaltending. The owners though are no strangers to tanking and will have no trepidation when they feel they aren’t contending for a playoff spot imo. 

But I have yet to see them mandate a tank with the Devils.  If they wanted to interfere, they could (as some meddlesome owners can and will).  They could've easily forced the coaching staff to play Schneider over Blackwood (hey, we're paying him, he needs to play)...but they allowed him to be mothballed in the minors for a while, while the clearly better player in Mac was allowed to play.  They could've held Shero back from making obvious "Let's get better NOW" moves this past offseason, and found a GM to sell off as many useful assets as possible (like Palms and some others).  You've seen what teams that are purposely tanking will do...look at last season's Dolphins.  That's not happening here.  Like I said, you have more a series of moves that didn't pay off as hoped, and a franchise that simply does what so many others do when their team is not anywhere near being in a playoff hunt, in what's very much become a defined "Buyer/Seller" market.