Sign in to follow this  
NJDevils1214

Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That's the thing, ownership wasn't expecting to rebuild THIS year.  You don't take on $27 million with Subban and increase payroll near the cap for kicks.  Having a worse record than Lou's last year absolutely speaks badly of Shero.

Yeah but I’m sure they didn’t think they were cup contenders either. Reaching the playoffs was no guarantee. Shero made the right moves though, we all praised him for it. Not his fault PK, Schneids, Hall, et al all underperformed. Don’t fire the guy for making the right moves. The coach was fired, Hall was dealt and the team has been making real strides. So your move as an owner is to then fire the GM? Makes no sense to me.

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That's the thing, ownership wasn't expecting to rebuild THIS year.  You don't take on $27 million with Subban and increase payroll near the cap for kicks.  Having a worse record than Lou's last year absolutely speaks badly of Shero.

I think the fact that the team has someone like Fitzgerald -- who could be the GM on a lot of teams -- made it easier to do it now.  He was basically the coach for a few weeks, seems to be much more tuned in to the nitty gritty of scouting and just what's been going on on the ground. 

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Sorry but anyone ignoring context when looking at any results doesn't know what they are doing. At any level and at anything in life. 

even at walmart, where you work?

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

Yeah but I’m sure they didn’t think they were cup contenders either. Reaching the playoffs was no guarantee. Shero made the right moves though, we all praised him for it. Not his fault PK, Schneids, Hall, et al all underperformed. Don’t fire the guy for making the right moves. The coach was fired, Hall was dealt and the team has been making real strides. So your move as an owner is to then fire the GM? Makes no sense to me.

They didn't think the season would be over by Halloween and they'd have to give away tickets by Thanksgiving.

I mean frigging everything looks bad at this point.  It looks bad he extends Hynes after one losing season then has to fire him less than a year later then he gets picked up quickly by a quality organization, it looks bad he cashes out on the season and trades Hall in December then they go on a run with a new staff, it looks bad Lou's got the Isles as a contender two years running after losing their best player while Shero's puttering around with the process, it looks bad most of our non-lotto ball prospects have plateaued, it looks bad the team's still on pace for one of their worst-ever seasons after trying to be more relevant and it smells when rumors of trading your All-Star and a popular Jersey kid start popping up with Politi insinuating Shero was sniffing around the trade market.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, mikepeluso8 said:

even at walmart, where you work?

Well if this was a joke it's incredibly not funny lol

3 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Does this mean we can stop searching through the penguin refuse pile now?

Let's distance ourselves completely from sh!ttsburgh.

right, no more pens 2.0

thought shero had a longer leash so must have been over something specific 

People have already mentioned it, but given the Athletic article that came out late last week, I can't help but feel that this has something to do with trading Palms (or not trading him, as the case may be). That kind of move involving a scorer who still has another year of reasonable money on his deal is probably made for a high end prospect and a pick, not for anything that will help win now or even next year. I'm not even sure which side of the table Shero might have been on that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that type of discussion is the one that lead to ownership moving on.

12 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It's really just luck, isn't it?

If we drafted a Crosby or McDavid with either of our 1OAs we're probably sitting here worshipping the ground Shero walks on.

Instead, we didn't get a generational talent and the rest of our kids haven't taken major steps forward at this time. So, Shero looks bad and the team still sucks.

I won't miss Shero's pressers, I'll tell you that.

Nah, Chiarelli still got fired even after being lucky enough to land McDavid. It takes more than a couple great players. Hockey isn’t basketball. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They didn't think the season would be over by Halloween and they'd have to give away tickets by Thanksgiving.

I mean frigging everything looks bad at this point.  It looks bad he extends Hynes after one losing season then has to fire him less than a year later then he gets picked up quickly by a quality organization, it looks bad he cashes out on the season and trades Hall in December then they go on a run with a new staff, it looks bad Lou's got the Isles as a contender two years running after losing their best player while Shero's puttering around with the process, it looks bad most of our non-lotto ball prospects have plateaued, it looks bad the team's still on pace for one of their worst-ever seasons after trying to be more relevant and it smells when rumors of trading your All-Star and a popular Jersey kid start popping up with Politi insinuating Shero was sniffing around the trade market.

I don’t agree with a few of these but if you’re a smart billionaire owner your major decisions should be made beyond optics.

• Like 1

I actually don't mind that much not having Shero i guess. All i wanted in a GM was one that didn't handle free agency and the long-term of his team like Lou was... and well... that's basically any GM but Lou lol So it should be fine.

When it comes to trades and drafting... you win some, lose some... luck go your way and against you no matter who you are. 

I'm legit scared after hearing the owner clearly not understanding the process...

Edited by SterioDesign

GOOOOOOSE EDIT: whoops wrong thread lol.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Haha 4

So I’m seeing rumors Shero wanted to keep trading our guys under contract to fully tank... owners said no... what the hell is really going on?

9 minutes ago, jagknife said:

So I’m seeing rumors Shero wanted to keep trading our guys under contract to fully tank... owners said no... what the hell is really going on?

Shero was moron

12 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Where are those coming from? Legit people? Thats wild if true lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

if that's true then i'm fine with him getting fired. 

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Where are those coming from? Legit people? Thats wild if true lol

Politi's the only mainstream guy I've seen give the more radical rumor (trading Palm) any credence afaik.

• Like 1

after heat is going down and if we remember this material on athletics about palms trade and talk about how vatanen ready for sign talking but shero didnt do anything yet and we can remember the words about hall didnt have real offers...  that have sense. Really big thanks for shero but if devs stay with today core and will not tank - it`s a sign of sheros eclipse. Winning psychology is a thing that needs to build too. Ask oilers with thier three 1OAP. And one of them is fvcking next one.

Edited by Guadana

I gave up on this website because how pro the ownership they were and randomly looked to see what people said with this.  Only @dvelman is making sense.  This ownership is a dumpster fire.  They don't know how to build a team.

At least on topic:  What did Shero do that made this team ostensibly better?  He tanked his way to some draft picks; anyone can do that.

All you have to do is look at the 6ers.  This ownership takes a GM to follow tanking to build talent.  That GM knew how to build it up and then they fire them because of whatever reason good or bad (you think 6ers fans aren't saying the exact same thing you did a few years ago with Hinke?).  This ownership doesn't want to win; they want to tease winning. 

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnotta/3d-in-nj-deciding-devils-direction

This guy makes it seem like lots of guys are going to still be made available. If that's true I don't know how that's not called a rebuild. If that's the case I have zero trust in this ownership group and their understanding of how it all works. Buying out Cory would be a great start imo. 

Edited by titans04

If the question is, "why now?" when it comes to firing Shero well, it may be that ownership didn't want to leave it to Ray to manage the trade deadline decisions. Do they sell? Who do they trade? When do they do it? What do they get back? They wanted Fitz to make those decisions. Salvador alluded to this on the postgame and it's my thinking as well. It's possible there were even "creative differences" between Shero and the owners when it came with what do re: selling or keeping.

Edited by Neb00rs

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Politi's the only mainstream guy I've seen give the more radical rumor (trading Palm) any credence afaik.

One of the Athletic writers said he was on the block. 

7 minutes ago, themightyall said:

I gave up on this website because how pro the ownership they were and randomly looked to see what people said with this.  Only @dvelman is making sense.  This ownership is a dumpster fire.  They don't know how to build a team.

At least on topic:  What did Shero do that made this team ostensibly better?  He tanked his way to some draft picks; anyone can do that.

All you have to do is look at the 6ers.  This ownership takes a GM to follow tanking to build talent.  That GM knew how to build it up and then they fire them because of whatever reason good or bad (you think 6ers fans aren't saying the exact same thing you did a few years ago with Hinke?).  This ownership doesn't want to win; they want to tease winning. 

The Devils are financially solvent and the arena isn't falling apart because of the owners.   And they just fired Shero, I imagine because they didn't want to keep tanking.

5 minutes ago, titans04 said:

This guy makes it seem like lots of guys are going to still be made available. If that's true I don't know how that's not called a rebuild. If that's the case I have zero trust in this ownership group and their understanding of how it all works. Buying out Cory would be a great start imo. 

He's said the obvious, that they'll likely be trading players on expiring contracts, and that teams will be asking about Zajac, Palmieri and Wood.  But you missed the part where he says the owners didn't want another rebuild.

9 minutes ago, titans04 said:

If it's true, it is a rebuild and they don't trust Ray to do it. 

• Like 2

Isn't it crazy that in Sept. ALL of us were so high on this team. Ray got Gusev.  Ray got Boquist to come over. Ray got PK for 2 minor league D men We all thought Schneider was going to regain his mojo. Ray signed Simmons (a very good move IMO) but things went South in a hurry. Here it is 4 months later, that GM is gone. I love this team.