Jump to content

Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately


NJDevils1214
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Maybe it’s ownership that wants to continue to build through the draft and Shero wanted to start contending. Maybe we have it backwards.

We all loved the PK trade, well almost all of us, when it happened so I don’t think it’s fair to use hindsight to blame Shero on that one. I still would make the trade to be honest even though he’s been very underwhelming. Don’t take this as racism but he can do a lot for the Newark community and help bring in fans that might not have ever given hockey a chance. I think he’s looked pretty good as of late too. 
 

 

He has looked much better recently. His shots are really starting to get through on a consistent basis. For the life of me I don’t understand what was going on with that the first few months. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Good. Out with the old mans club I say. Teams are having a lot of success with younger minds at the helm.

And we’ve seen some former greats turn into really good GM’s, too. Sakic and Yzerman built two of the best teams in the league. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Maybe it’s ownership that wants to continue to build through the draft and Shero wanted to start contending. Maybe we have it backwards.

We all loved the PK trade, well almost all of us, when it happened so I don’t think it’s fair to use hindsight to blame Shero on that one. I still would make the trade to be honest even though he’s been very underwhelming. Don’t take this as racism but he can do a lot for the Newark community and help bring in fans that might not have ever given hockey a chance. I think he’s looked pretty good as of late too. 

Based on quotes from ownership, sounds like they wanted to win and grew tired of waiting for it to happen under Shero.  Also doubt they let Shero take on PK's money if they wanted to build through the draft.  Or trade for and then sign an unproven Gusev to pretty decent coin.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, lazer said:

You guys are looking backwards for clues, the only one not shocked was marty. 

 

Not trying to conspiracy theory but this feels like marty all over it.

 

Thers not a lot of evidence there but it feels like the elephant in the room.

How can you claim Marty wasn’t ‘shocked’, by facial expressions? Did he even speak at the presser?

Fitz was Shero’s lieutenant, of course he’s going to be taken aback at getting a job this way just like Nas was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

How can you claim Marty wasn’t ‘shocked’, by facial expressions? Did he even speak at the presser?

Fitz was Shero’s lieutenant, of course he’s going to be taken aback at getting a job this way just like Nas was.

Just like when people accused Marty of not caring about Elias during his jersey retirement. That’s just Marty’s face lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Based on quotes from ownership, sounds like they wanted to win and grew tired of waiting for it to happen under Shero.  Also doubt they let Shero take on PK's money if they wanted to build through the draft.  Or trade for and then sign an unproven Gusev to pretty decent coin.  

I think Subban was brought in for multiple reasons. We had plenty of cap not being used so it really wasn’t that big of a gamble. Not trading Hall this summer was a bigger gamble to me and I have a feeling that the Hall situation played a big part in Shero’s termination. 

But you’re probably right about ownership wanting to start winning. I’m wondering if they even gave him expectations of a timeline to start winning when they brought him on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

How can you claim Marty wasn’t ‘shocked’, by facial expressions? Did he even speak at the presser?

Fitz was Shero’s lieutenant, of course he’s going to be taken aback at getting a job this way just like Nas was.

He didnt have to, the owner was speaking for him.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was aquick shot of the owners box after the win, marty and fitz.

 

Fitz was out like he could care less, dude is shook for sure.

 

Marty wanted to hi five and hug or wtv and could also care less about the win lol

 

Im sure theres agif for that 🙌

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Daniel said:

FWIW, Lebrun claims that Shero was not shopping Palmieri. 

This doesn't surprise me. If the philosophical differences were centered around whether to go into another rebuild, I would bet that Shero wasn't the tank proponent. Harris can say a lot of things in press conferences, but we'll see if he actually cares about winning this season. It doesn't seem like he had that philosophy with the Sixers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I think Subban was brought in for multiple reasons. We had plenty of cap not being used so it really wasn’t that big of a gamble. Not trading Hall this summer was a bigger gamble to me and I have a feeling that the Hall situation played a big part in Shero’s termination. 

But you’re probably right about ownership wanting to start winning. I’m wondering if they even gave him expectations of a timeline to start winning when they brought him on.

I went through the bolded in an earlier post...pure speculation on my part, but I think ownership was willing to be patient initially (not like they had much choice anyway, given the state of the player personnel at that time), saw the team make the playoffs in Year 3 of Shero's run, then became a lot less willing to wait when Year 4 went off the rails.  I think Shero was then pushed to try to speed this thing up...but unfortunately, in the end there were still just too many question marks (one of whom was Cory, who blew up yet again), and assuming Shero did actually propose blowing this thing up enough where it was clear that the Devils might struggle for another year or two, that was it for him.  

I also think 4-5 years is the magic number for a lot of owners...not saying that a team must win a championship in Year 4 or 5, but at least look like it's not a pipe dream that contending for one can happen in the very near future.  Taking the purely forensic angle again, it's easy to look at the balance of Shero's time here and say "Nope, hasn't gotten any better, next."  

I'm guessing that whoever the new GM is, he's going to have to have a relatively short-term plan that will see him augment the young talent that's here with some "right now" players.  Don't think he'll get the job otherwise. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, nessus said:

This doesn't surprise me. If the philosophical differences were centered around whether to go into another rebuild, I would bet that Shero wasn't the tank proponent. Harris can say a lot of things in press conferences, but we'll see if he actually cares about winning this season. It doesn't seem like he had that philosophy with the Sixers.

The NBA is a different beast.  Never liked that comparison...just don't think that it's fair.  

If anything, I think you have proof that they do indeed care about winning here...once they decided that Shero wasn't the right guy to see this thing through, they let him go, no hesitation.  Like I said earlier, how many dead-men-walking GMs and HCs have you seen get the rest of the year in lost seasons, at which point there's going to be an "evaluation", where we all know they're already toast?  Obviously the fact that Shero being fired came as a shock to many of us shows that this isn't exactly that type of a situation...but even if ownership had decided that Shero was no longer their man, they wouldn't be the first group to wait until after the season was over to can him.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do not want Marty as GM. 

First, just because he was an all time great goaltender for us doesnt mean Marty is going to be a competent GM and im very worried that the majority of our fanbase wont be able to be objective about the job hes doing... which will lead to an even longer period of suckage. Who wants to be the President/owner that is going to fire Marty? 

 

 

Edited by Toasterleavins
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Toasterleavins said:

Do not want Marty as GM. 

First, just because he was an all time great goaltender for us doesnt mean Marty is going to be a competent GM and im very worried that the majority of our fanbase wont be able to be objective about the job hes doing... which will lead to an even longer period of suckage. Who wants to be the President/owner that is going to fire Marty? 

 

 

What does it matter? Owners own, they can hire and fire whomever they want. If the team stinks and it's Marty's fault - believe me -e veryone will be on the fire him bandwagon. 

Sakic, Neely, Shanny, Francis, others - these guys have been positive.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Do not want Marty as GM. 

First, just because he was an all time great goaltender for us doesnt mean Marty is going to be a competent GM and im very worried that the majority of our fanbase wont be able to be objective about the job hes doing... which will lead to an even longer period of suckage. Who wants to be the President/owner that is going to fire Marty? 

 

 

This ownership has no loyalties or connections to Marty. I don’t see why they would hesitate to replace him if he wasn’t getting the job done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

im praying to god the owners are not pushing for a full win-now approach.

First of all in the situation we're in how to you even do that? Signing players in the offseason to bad contracts is usually the way to go but there's no guarantee that anyone we'd "really" want be available or want to come here.

fvck sakes, we had a GM with the right mentality to at least make the "right steps" and they fired him. It's never guaranteeing results but at least it's not hurting you too much long-term

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lazer said:

There was aquick shot of the owners box after the win, marty and fitz.

 

Fitz was out like he could care less, dude is shook for sure.

 

Marty wanted to hi five and hug or wtv and could also care less about the win lol

 

Im sure theres agif for that 🙌

You might be going a little deep into the conspiracy theories here. He's fiving and hugging so he didn't care about the win? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Based on quotes from ownership, sounds like they wanted to win and grew tired of waiting for it to happen under Shero.  Also doubt they let Shero take on PK's money if they wanted to build through the draft.  Or trade for and then sign an unproven Gusev to pretty decent coin.  

The owner gave a generic quote about winning. That’s it. Didn’t mean Shero didn’t want to. They all could have been on board with winning with the offseason moves and with it exploding in our faces Shero is realizing we aren’t going to win right now so let’s continue adding to our Nico/Bratt/Jack core with players that age. To me, it’s stupid to not get a first round pick back for Sami vatanen. Sami is a good player but he’s not quite on the timeline. Id trust Ray Shero than Josh Harris over that hockey decision.

Edited by devlman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

What does it matter? Owners own, they can hire and fire whomever they want. If the team stinks and it's Marty's fault - believe me -e veryone will be on the fire him bandwagon. 

Sakic, Neely, Shanny, Francis, others - these guys have been positive.

Only one of those approaches the level of hero worship this fanbase has for Marty imo and thats Sakic, who's team is finally having a good season. 

I wont be hugely upset if its Marty, and Ill obviously be rooting for the teams success. The Devils have now been bad so long im just tired of it, and would be in favor of not having a first time gm at the helm.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.