Sign in to follow this  
NJDevils1214

Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately

Wonder if shero was forced into firing hynes, and then turns around and gets him a gig with the preds..

1 hour ago, lazer said:

Wonder who made shero fire hynes then cause it wasnt sheros idea.

This makes no sense if owners are about the money, they throw it away.

If the owners are about direction of the team, they have sheros guys still in place

I think they made him fire hynes, then he gets him a gig with the preds .. the place we got PK.. I could see how the owner would feel their interests were 2nd.. putting many eggs in the hall basket for so long and then seeing we were a better team after he left.. playing better without hynes  and a more conservative defensive game plan..  then maybe they wanted a vet coach, and shero said enough already. May never know

Edited by EdgeControl
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

I think they made him fire hynes, then he gets him a gig with the preds .. the place we got PK.. I could see how the owner would feel their interests we 2nd.. putting many eggs in the hall basket for so long and then seeing we were a better team after he left.. playing better without hynes  and a more conservative defensive game plan..  then maybe they wanted a vet coach, and shero said enough already. May never know

Right, that and the trade deadline had to factor in, and hall.

So yeah

2 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

That’s moot with John. I’m sure Ray will get some cash, maybe take a consultant role with David Poile to keep warm. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Haha reunited with Hynes. 

Just like old times! lol

Right before I found out I had a checkride this morning, this thread had 13 pages... it’s now on 20....

The Shero discussion starts at about the 20 minute mark.  A few things of interest.  Dreger claims, per a source, that a decision was made a while ago that Shero was going to be fired at the end of the season, but for reasons unknown right now ownership decided to pull the trigger when they did.  Dreger half speculates/half claims knowledge that Shero wasn't as gung ho about analytics as the owners are and that might have led to it.  Then suggests that of all the players that might be available at the trade deadline, but spends time saying that it will be awfully tempting to trade Palmieri because he will probably be the most enticing name on the trade market.

• Like 3

All the players are available? Wtf

surely Nico and Hughes are off the table. 

What about Castron? Should he still be with us for the draft or should we let him go too? I guess it’s up to the new GM but ownership might not be too fond of his drafting. Not that I think it’s been too bad. Our European scouts seems to be the best we have. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

All the players are available? Wtf

surely Nico and Hughes are off the table. 

Seems like an incomplete thought. 

Then suggests that of all the players that might be available at the trade deadline,”

but spends time saying that it will be awfully tempting to trade Palmieri because he will probably be the most enticing name on the trade market.”

Seems like something is missing in between those two lines.

At the risk of inciting a forum riot, if Kyle Palmieri is really an attractive piece at the deadline and Fitzgerald can get a bidding war going; there’s a lot to like about trading a 29-year old for a bucket of draft picks and prospects that’ll perhaps fit better with the age of our core.

• Like 1

if they knew shero was gone at the end of the season and the stat dept divide, then why was everyone so shocked is my question. in reference to that podcast

2 minutes ago, lazer said:

if they knew shero was gone at the end of the season and the stat dept divide, then why was everyone so shocked is my question. in reference to that podcast

I think people were more shocked at the timing than anything. Harris announced it literally an hour before a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

At the risk of inciting a forum riot, if Kyle Palmieri is really an attractive piece at the deadline and Fitzgerald can get a bidding war going; there’s a lot to like about trading a 29-year old for a bucket of draft picks and prospects that’ll perhaps fit better with the age of our core.

I’d say you listen and pull the trigger if it’s something you can’t say no to.  He’d probably the most valuable player available at the deadline because of the extra year.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I really dislike sports writers like Politi.  Everyone who posts on this board with some regularity knows a million times more about the NHL and Devils than he does.  It’s a piece that any season ticket holder could have written if they just had a couple of hours and an editor.

We’re not asking anyone to bug Harris’s office and home.  But it would be nice if occasionally we got some insight into what was actually going on within the organization.  Like why they actually fired the GM in such a shocking fashion, and I don’t mean just quoting what they said at a press conference.

• Like 2

I’m more annoyed at the insulting ‘press conference’ Harris gave the more I think about it. Pure owner-speak, no specifics. Bizarre timing. I mean he signed off on letting Hall be traded but god forbid we get some potentially exciting pieces for a 30 year old winger. Still doesn’t add up. That’s why I still feel that they were pro tank and Shero was the one saying no to that.

5 minutes ago, devlman said:

I’m more annoyed at the insulting ‘press conference’ Harris gave the more I think about it. Pure owner-speak, no specifics. Bizarre timing. I mean he signed off on letting Hall be traded but god forbid we get some potentially exciting pieces for a 30 year old winger. Still doesn’t add up. That’s why I still feel that they were pro tank and Shero was the one saying no to that.

Those Palms rumors are just rumors. Politi who also wrote that trash article is yapping about it as speculation. 

It's pathetic how easy it is to get a blue check on Twitter nowadays. 

Yeah... i don't know... I mean after all the moves we made last summer... I'm pretty sure there was a discussion at some point setting some sort of expectations.

We knew going in the season that....

• Hall might not re-sign so he'd have to be traded.
  • Subban was already trending down, which is why we got him on a deal.
  • Gusev would require time to adjust to the NHL, not a guarantee.
  • Hughes would need time to adjust too.
  • That our D corp was not great
  • Schneider was a HUGE question mark but we had to at least give him one last shot with how he finished the season. So goaltending could be a big issue...

So while most were optimistic... we had to know there was a chance some of those moves don't fully pan out. Just the goaltending by itself could have sunk the team, we talked about it plenty before the season started... and it sure did. The goaltending was one of the big issue if not the biggest why we lost so many games early. 

So... we went through a bunch of those... Subban is starting to find his game... Gusev too... Hughes too... Blackwood is surprisingly solid now... things are falling into place so why fire Shero now when his plan is finally starting to flourish? 

You truly don't just look at current standings and our record and ignore the kinks we'd possibly have to work through. The Blues management didn't trade all their players in january when they are at the bottom of the league, cause they knew the group they had should be getting better results, just like our group was supposed to and we're starting to see it now

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

Nothing about a guy like Palmieri is worthy of canning your GM imo. I think any writer focusing on that angle is assuming and mistaken. Palmieri IF he was made available might be the best available Devil because of the extra year. I would however think there's probably some even better players available across the league. We'll never know for sure who those guys are. 

I'm not really in anyway going to bat for Ray. In the end and along the way I think I've been pretty neutral. I'm way more disturbed listening to the press conf and my real concern is my perceived incompetence of the owners. 

Edited by titans04

Wherever Shero ends... We will be the new Pittsburg for this new team... Look at Shero moving piece to bring "ex-Devils players" ; ) 

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah... i don't know... I mean after all the moves we made last summer... I'm pretty sure there was a discussion at some point setting some sort of expectations.

• Schneider was a HUGE question mark but we had to at least give him one last shot with how he finished the season. So goaltending could be a big issue...

So while most were optimistic... we had to know there was a chance some of those moves don't fully pan out. Just the goaltending by itself could have sunk the team, we talked about it plenty before the season started... and it sure did. The goaltending was one of the big issue if not the biggest why we lost so many games early. 

So... we went through a bunch of those... Subban is starting to find his game... Gusev too... Hughes too... Blackwood is surprisingly solid now... things are falling into place so why fire Shero now when his plan is finally starting to flourish? 

You truly don't just look at current standings and our record and ignore the kinks we'd possibly have to work through. The Blues management didn't trade all their players in january when they are at the bottom of the league, cause they knew the group they had should be getting better results, just like our group was supposed to and we're starting to see it now

Ray has kicked tyres on making the moves to address this season's poor performance, and that is what I feel is the most likely reason he has been let go. 

I think if Ray sent Cory down in the summer for a stint in Bing and brought a solid FA backup to split with blackwood and then cans Hynes after 15 games rather than when he did he probably still has a job. 

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

good points. I think too that holding onto Hynes was probably a mistake. And I'll bet Ray didn't want to fire him, but was told to do so.  Just like when he stuck w/ Bylsma in the Berg.

Ray, you gave us a 5 year plan, and it's not improving. Bye.

17 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Going from an assistant GM to a front office "marketing" type role seems like a step back to me. 

It doesn't to me when you're going back to the organization you played for and the place you lived for 20+ years.  It's sort of a situation like "This is what I want to do, and I tried it for a short while, but this is where I meant to be and where I'm meant to do it".

• Like 1