Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately

Friedman's 31 thoughts with some interesting behind-the-office doors gossip

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-fallout-bombshell-devils-knights-firings/

One particular bone of contention was decision making over the last year or two in goal — including insurance policies for 2019-20. MacKenzie Blackwood looks legit, but he was thrown into something he wasn’t ready for.

Co-owners Joshua Harris and David Blitzer are very involved, and were in conversation with Shero more than the average owner(s) would be with their GM. There’s an organizational CEO, a President and a team President. There were Shero’s right-hand men, Tom Fitzgerald and Dan MacKinnon. Martin Brodeur became more involved in the last few months. And there is the Devils’ analytics department, which has real juice.

When the analytics job was posted last year, it created the impression that the analytics department would have an open line to ownership and not necessarily report to the GM. The Devils liked two of the finalists, and decided to hire both (Tyler Dellow and Matt Cane).

I’m not saying that anyone submarined anyone else, but I don’t believe Shero was ever comfortable with all of this. The Subban trade was one where he felt pulled in a lot of directions, but ultimately made the decision. When the person above mentioned the extension talks being “complicated,” I think this is a big part of it. He closed his circle even further as Hall discussions got into the public domain. If there’s one word I heard a lot of around New Jersey over the past 48 hours, it is “collaborative.” There is desire for more people to be involved in the process.

Second-guessing Shero on the goalie thing is fair though there weren't really a lot of options that wouldn't block Blackwood beyond this year this side of Lehner.  Were they really supposed to give big money and term to Varlamov or Bobrovsky and just make Blackwood a 1B for the indefinite future?

And as for the (ahem) collabrative stuff, guess it was only a matter of time.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2
  • Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like Shero sent Fitzgerald down to the bench to diagnose the problems with team and he came back to the owners and told them the problem is Ray Shero.

I’d believe that 100% to be honest

I'm so sick of hearing about 2015. The end of the 2019-2020 season is a couple of months away. I don't care about 2015. We know it wasn't much, but like I said earlier, I'm focused on 2018. That team

Posted Images

That just screams too many cooks in the kitchen to me...

What GM would want to have to deal with the analytics guys going over their head right to the owners? 

What a mess. The goaltending thing is fair. We should have never, ever, relied on Cory coming into this season. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That just screams too many cooks in the kitchen to me...

What GM would want to have to deal with the analytics guys going over their head right to the owners? 

What a mess. The goaltending thing is fair. We should have never, ever, relied on Cory coming into this season. 

Sounds like we might have meddling owners...oh boy...

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m all too familiar with that. The owner of the Bengals has been acting as our GM for 30 years. As bad as he is though at least his father (the great Paul Brown) was one of the smartest football minds in the history of the game. 

What the hell do these two know about running a hockey team? Other than listening to advanced stat geeks...

That's terrible if true. It's just like studio executives or producers getting in the way of movie directors. It's ALWAYS resulting in a mess.

It's even worst that it's analytics... i have no idea how knowledgeable those owners are about hockey... but if you're not looking at the big picture and fully understand and know hockey its useless and the fact that they can just get "stats" and look at them as "results" to ensure they get a return on their investment or wtv is fvcking insane. I'd want to hang myself if i was a GM having to deal with that kind of sh!t

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah it sounds like a mess. Way too many voices. There should only be one voice- the GM’s. The owners need to write checks and shut the fvck up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
34 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah it sounds like a mess. Way too many voices. There should only be one voice- the GM’s. The owners need to write checks and shut the fvck up.

Yeah if all of this is true, it’s incredibly disheartening and depressing.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's only a problem if one side doesn't want to listen at all.  If that was Shero's prerogative, he wasn't going to last with this ownership group, as that's not how they see things.

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Most comments in the "Devils hire Tyler Dellow as vice president of analytics" thread were "It can't hurt to have someone like this in the organization".

Well.. guess what lol

It should have never been a thing to get them that involved in management. Analytics should be a ressource, a tool that the people in charge can go and have access to. To make decisions based on it is madness.

I'm getting more and more worried about our owners.

I can't help but imagine this when im thinking about the situationGrima_and_King_Theoden_-_Two_Towers.thumb.png.6df550defdbd94eb0872f47446fa980a.png

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Haha 2

https://staffandgraph.podbean.com

I'm worried about this team. This podcast was so depressing to listen to. Basically Harris & Blizter are out if touch billionaires who are convinced we can win it all now with this current roster because our analytics geeks say so, and therefore they do not want trades occurring for the sake of getting younger and better. They want the complete opposite of Colorado's model. Also, even though they are meddling owners they see the Devils as an insignificant piece of their investment empire so could care less what the fans think. 

This organization might be really screwed. 

9 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

https://staffandgraph.podbean.com

I'm worried about this team. This podcast was so depressing to listen to. Basically Harris & Blizter are out if touch billionaires who are convinced we can win it all now with this current roster because our analytics geeks say so, and therefore they do not want trades occurring for the sake of getting younger and better. They want the complete opposite of Colorado's model. Also, even though they are meddling owners they see the Devils as an insignificant piece of their investment empire so could care less what the fans think. 

This organization might be really screwed. 

wait i didn't listen to that podcast obviously but is this... legit or someone guessing? More specifically that our analytics geeks are saying we could win it all now?

Edited by SterioDesign
42 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

wait i didn't listen to that podcast obviously but is this... legit or someone guessing? More specifically that our analytics geeks are saying we could win it all now?

I don't know, but the way she says "full stop" makes me less inclined to take them seriously. 

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

She worked for the NJ Devils organization for 2 years in their analytics Dept. That's what concerns me and leads me to believe she might be telling the truth  

It's disappointing to hear that the stat nerds have the ear of ownership.

With that said the current system with Shero and his closed group ain't working either.  Therefore I am not ready to hit the panic button yet and declare Harris and Blitzer to be "meddling owners" just yet.

5 hours ago, slasher72 said:

She worked for the NJ Devils organization for 2 years in their analytics Dept. That's what concerns me and leads me to believe she might be telling the truth  

I wouldn't trust anything Rachel Doerrie says, especially after her condescending post to others a couple months ago regarding Hynes.

Also, per an article on nj . com the decision to fire Hynes was made about 10 days before he was officially fired.

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

But then who will acquire more ASSETS?!? 

Screw winning games, we near MOAR ASSETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't know, but the way she says "full stop" makes me less inclined to take them seriously. 

Never heard of her before but browsing through her Twitter has convinced me she's not as knowledgeable as she thinks she is with posts like this...

Referencing Hynes... 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Oh no maybe we'll finish dead last in the division yet again without Shero next season. The horror. 

While funny, this post is also quite true.  Why not give an analytics team a chance to sculpt our roster? It's not like the traditional one man show has worked for us for the last decade.

I scoffed when Arizona hired a rookie analytics GM, but now they seem to be putting together a decent team.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

While funny, this post is also quite true.  Why not give an analytics team a chance to sculpt our roster? It's not like the traditional one man show has worked for us for the last decade.

I scoffed when Arizona hired a rookie analytics GM, but now they seem to be putting together a decent team.

Mostly cause this is real life and not a game simulation where intangibles doesn't exist.

You can probably build a baseball team with analytics as it's such a black and white sport. But hockey has way too many shades and important things not showing on any stat sheets.

I’m sure no one would have a problem with input from the analytics department if it wasn’t circumventing the actual General Manager! That cannot be a healthy operating model.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well that first post isn’t too far off the truth these days

And yeah she’s gonna be loyal to Hynes and others who treated her well and have an axe to grind with people who didn’t.

Yeah I would say the first one is pretty darn close to spot on. 😎

Edited by titans04