Sign in to follow this  
NJDevils1214

Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Never heard of her before but browsing through her Twitter has convinced me she's not as knowledgeable as she thinks she is with posts like this...

Referencing Hynes... 

There was a post she made on 11/5/19 where she was boasting that she knew Hynes knew what he was doing.  About a month later he is canned.

I guess us peons are idiots compared to her vast hockey knowledge/wisdom.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

There was a post she made on 11/5/19 where she was boasting that she knew Hynes knew what he was doing.  About a month later he is canned.

I guess us peons are idiots compared to her vast hockey knowledge/wisdom.

I don't mind when someone is supportive of a guy like Hynes who was under fire, but the way she did it was obnoxious. Anyone who didn't see Hynes as a great coach was basically treated like a moron. Whether he's a good a coach or not, it just wasn't working here anymore. 

• Like 2

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don't mind when someone is supportive of a guy like Hynes who was under fire, but the way she did it was obnoxious. Anyone who didn't see Hynes as a great coach was basically treated like a moron. Whether he's a good a coach or not, it just wasn't working here anymore. 

Bingo.  That's also why I don't follow her anymore for months.  Her holier-than-thou attitude towards any alternative viewpoint/opinion is indeed very obnoxious.  That's why I take everything and anything she says with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

If it's true that Shero wanted to block Blackwood on the team, then I'm definitely ok with him getting fired.

Blackwood has been one of the very few things I'm hopeful about this year. It would be very similar to Hextal getting fired in Philly for taking too long with Hart.

2 hours ago, devlman said:

I’m sure no one would have a problem with input from the analytics department if it wasn’t circumventing the actual General Manager! That cannot be a healthy operating model.

Yes, that's the dysfunctional part that sounds set up to make the GM less effective. Analytics reporting directly to ownership, sounds like the front office is trying to model themselves after the Cleveland Browns. 

A-List GM isn't coming to a team with that set up so this is very concerning.

9 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Yes, that's the dysfunctional part that sounds set up to make the GM less effective. Analytics reporting directly to ownership, sounds like the front office is trying to model themselves after the Cleveland Browns. 

A-List GM isn't coming to a team with that set up so this is very concerning.

Specuatory, but maybe it was only like that because Ray was never interested in advanced analytics. Why report to a guy that has no interest in what you have to say? 

1 hour ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Analytics reporting directly to ownership, sounds like the front office is trying to model themselves after the Cleveland Browns.

If there is one front office in all of pro sports to NOT model yourselves after, that’s the one..... 

It should be obvious that Friedman's piece needs to be read skeptically or at least with many grains of salt.  If you read it carefully, it's pretty much all innuendo, with phrases like "people are saying" or a lot hidden speculation on his part.  There's probably a grain of truth in there that the owners wanted more input from others in the organization, especially the analytics people and that there was nothing Ray had done over the past five years to show he should have the final or only say on everything.

What does scare me is that the organization doesn't appear to know what direction it wants to go in.  On the one hand the owners say they want to start winning soon, but then we hear that more players might be on the table for trades than before Ray was fired.  On the other hand, I can't imagine a single analytics person who would say the Devils are in a position to be a "win now" team. 

It's why they should have let Ray handle the wheeling and dealing through the end of the season and then move on then.  Hopefully Fitz knows what he's doing.

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It should be obvious that Friedman's piece needs to be read skeptically or at least with many grains of salt.  If you read it carefully, it's pretty much all innuendo, with phrases like "people are saying" or a lot hidden speculation on his part.  There's probably a grain of truth in there that the owners wanted more input from others in the organization, especially the analytics people and that there was nothing Ray had done over the past five years to show he should have the final or only say on everything.

What does scare me is that the organization doesn't appear to know what direction it wants to go in.  On the one hand the owners say they want to start winning soon, but then we hear that more players might be on the table for trades than before Ray was fired.  On the other hand, I can't imagine a single analytics person who would say the Devils are in a position to be a "win now" team. 

It's why they should have let Ray handle the wheeling and dealing through the end of the season and then move on then.  Hopefully Fitz knows what he's doing.

Agree with you there that's what he did best. He may not be the guy you want to do the drafting but he is the guy you want to trade for the draft picks. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If there is one front office in all of pro sports to NOT model yourselves after, that’s the one..... 

Yup, they've been the undisputed worst organization in pro sports for many years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Yup, they've been the undisputed worst organization in pro sports for many years.

It felt good to watch them come out and fall on their faces this season after a bunch of the talking heads crowned them paper champs. Mayfield was particularly horrendous. Think only Winston threw more picks. 

• Like 1

i mean if you look at it from an historical standpoint... fancy technologies never do too well against traditional sh!t.

Russia with their fancy technology couldn't beat the US. Rocky showed them that it's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep going.

Then another example... the empire with top technology was partially defeated by Ewoks throwing rocks

and in the end a T-800 (way older model), a woman and a kid were able to destroy skynet and their fancy t-1000.

Let's not ignore history. Fancy sh!t doesnt mean sh!t against real heart !

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean if you look at it from an historical standpoint... fancy technologies never do too well against traditional sh!t.

Russia with their fancy technology couldn't beat the US. Rocky showed them that it's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep going.

Then another example... the empire with top technology was partially defeated by Ewoks throwing rocks

and in the end a T-800 (way older model), a woman and a kid were able to destroy skynet and their fancy t-1000.

I spent two hours trying to figure out if you were joking or if this was serious. 

I’m still deciding. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

It felt good to watch them come out and fall on their faces this season after a bunch of the talking heads crowned them paper champs. Mayfield was particularly horrendous. Think only Winston threw more picks. 

agree, I used to kind of root for Cleveland just because they have been down for so long but I can't cheer for that arrogant Mayfield who hasn't done sh!t

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I spent two hours trying to figure out if you were joking or if this was serious. 

I’m still deciding. 

To be fair, all of those things are fantasies. Much like any hope of this rebuild ending. 

7 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

To be fair, all of those things are fantasies. Much like any hope of this rebuild ending. 

That’s the thing, when it’s him, I’m not sure if it is. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m still deciding. 

and thats whats beautiful about it

18 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Lucas admitted he was inspired by the Vietnam War for that battle.

I wasn't born yet when the Vietnam War ended, but I am pretty sure the NVA had machine guns too.

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Lucas admitted he was inspired by the Vietnam War for that battle.

I wasn't born yet when the Vietnam War ended, but I am pretty sure the NVA had machine guns too.

Yup that's very true. But his angle was more that it was  a large technological empire going after a small group of freedom fighters

8 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

And angry teddy bears too. 

I grew up through the Viet Nam Era. I really don't think it should be a topic of discussion in this section. When I was in high school I went to funerals of guys I knew in Boy Scouts. Please keep that out of this site. Thank you.

• Like 1

So no one thinks Brodeur and the owners were hangin out drinking and Marty began to hold forth about Shero sucking and more drinks were downed and pretty soon Marty was sounding like a genius and soon the phrase “crazy... so crazy it just might work” got bandied about and - well - the rest is history 😁.  

Edited by Pepperkorn
Typo
  • Haha 2

Hughes has worst numbers for all first picks of last 20 years. And I don’t think the problem is in him. Zacha has pretty same numbers as Bratt and wood plays like he played before. Something must change in nj system, and first of all - teaching and coaching. I didn’t know how fitz can fix that in the system scale. 

after all - thanks for all you did, shero. Goodbye, no regrets.

Edited by Guadana