Jump to content

Ray Shero and Devils Part Ways Effective Immediately


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He just got promoted to the first line. 

Imagine that...

I feel like Hughes had a cup of coffee on the 1st line, but that’s about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like Shero sent Fitzgerald down to the bench to diagnose the problems with team and he came back to the owners and told them the problem is Ray Shero.

I’d believe that 100% to be honest

I'm so sick of hearing about 2015. The end of the 2019-2020 season is a couple of months away. I don't care about 2015. We know it wasn't much, but like I said earlier, I'm focused on 2018. That team

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Imagine that...

I feel like Hughes had a cup of coffee on the 1st line, but that’s about it. 

I certainly don’t think he should supplant Nico on the first line. But he should be second, Zajac third, Zacha 4th if we have to keep him. While Coleman and Zajac do seem to have some kind of connection, that’s mostly on the PK.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I certainly don’t think he should supplant Nico on the first line. But he should be second, Zajac third, Zacha 4th if we have to keep him. While Coleman and Zajac do seem to have some kind of connection, that’s mostly on the PK.

Yeah, Nico definitely should be 1C, I think Hughes only filled in when Nico missed a few games. 

Playing with scrubs can’t be helping his development though. I’m sure he’s not used to having such bad linemates, bad coaching, bad defense...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

He just got promoted to the first line. 

When was that he's been buried on the 3rd line? He's been equally as unimpressive.

As for Jack not impressed at all to date.  But hopefully he starts taking some steps forward. Neither one coming close to living up to what turned out to be the unrealistic hype.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Some people are just never satisfied. 

That's cool, I mean we've done so many great things as an org over the last 13 years. Things like  not having won a single playoff round and counting this season missing the playoffs 8 of those 13 years.  We've won twice as many ping pong lotteries than playoff series during those years, we have placeholders in the head coaching and GM slots.  Our owners continue to sound like they really don't get it either.  If you believe some of the posts yesterday they're now resorting to giving away even more tickets than usual to try and save face on ST sales for next season.

For me there's no more traction in holding onto having won three cups in what feels like a lifetime ago.

If it's against the rules to say Jack hasn't done much of anything more often than not then we should be required to wear red and black blinders when commenting here. Doesn't mean he will never grow into a much better player over time, it means he hasn't been that this season. 

 

 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, titans04 said:

That's cool, I mean we've done so many great things as an org over the last 13 years. Things like  not having won a single playoff round and counting this season missing the playoffs 8 of those 13 years.  We've won twice as many ping pong lotteries than playoff series during those years, we have placeholders in the head coaching and GM slots.  Our owners continue to sound like they really don't get it either.  If yo believe some of the posts yesterday they're now resorting to giving away even more tickets than usual to try and save face on ST sales for next season.

For me there's no more traction in holding onto having won three cups in what feels like a lifetime ago.

If it's against the rules to say Jack hasn't done much of anything more often than not then we should be required to wear red and black blinders when commenting here. Doesn't mean he will never grow into a much better player over time, it means he hasn't been that this season. 

 

 

I just can’t really agree with that. Maybe it’s because the only other pro team I root for (Bengals) is so bad I don’t really take for granted how special winning a championship, let alone multiple, really is. I’ve watched the Devils play in 4 Cup finals in the last 20 years. That’s a hell of a lot better than many teams have had it. 

Imagine being a Leafs fan... Although with the Caps and Blues finally winning Cups they’ll probably be next lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

What about slotting Hughes to wing for a while? Not really sure on what line considering our center depth but he might do better at wing while he grows physically. 
 

Hughes-Hischier-Palms?

Coleman -Zajac-Goose

Bratt-Zacha-Simmonds 

The 4th line

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

What about slotting Hughes to wing for a while? Not really sure on what line considering our center depth but he might do better at wing while he grows physically. 
 

Hughes-Hischier-Palms?

Coleman -Zajac-Goose

Bratt-Zacha-Simmonds 

The 4th line

It wouldn't kill to play him a few games on the top line at the wing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

What about slotting Hughes to wing for a while? Not really sure on what line considering our center depth but he might do better at wing while he grows physically. 
 

Hughes-Hischier-Palms?

Coleman -Zajac-Goose

Bratt-Zacha-Simmonds 

The 4th line

I wouldn’t like it. He needs to develop as a center. He’s a playmaker way more than a goal scorer anyway. Don’t think wing really suits him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, titans04 said:

That's cool, I mean we've done so many great things as an org over the last 13 years. Things like  not having won a single playoff round and counting this season missing the playoffs 8 of those 13 years.  We've won twice as many ping pong lotteries than playoff series during those years, we have placeholders in the head coaching and GM slots.  Our owners continue to sound like they really don't get it either.  If yo believe some of the posts yesterday they're now resorting to giving away even more tickets than usual to try and save face on ST sales for next season.

For me there's no more traction in holding onto having won three cups in what feels like a lifetime ago.

If it's against the rules to say Jack hasn't done much of anything more often than not then we should be required to wear red and black blinders when commenting here. Doesn't mean he will never grow into a much better player over time, it means he hasn't been that this season. 

 

 

Just because he isn't on the score sheet every night doesn't mean he hasn't been impressive. Your expectations for an 18 year old kind coming out of the USNDP to an absolute trash heap NHL team must be delusional. We've already seen him skate circles around other teams. If he was playing on a team like Colorado, with guys that can finish, he'd prob be on pace for 50pts. He's always been described as an elite play maker, not a goal scorer. What do you expect when you slot him with Miles Wood and the corpse of Wayne Simmonds all season? He has already come a long way from how he start the season-- especially defensively.

Don't be so dramatic with the "against the rules" crap. No one is saying it is against the rules. It's a discussion board. Expect people to disagree with you-- especially hot-takes like "it is time to worry about Jack Hughes" 50 games into his career and he can't even sprout a strand of facial hair. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I wouldn’t like it. He needs to develop as a center. He’s a playmaker way more than a goal scorer anyway. Don’t think wing really suits him. 

I believe the Avs had Mackinnon on the wing for the first season or two and he’s doing great now. Jack’s definitely undersized right now and giving him some time to develop physically at wing instead of playing him at center on the 3rd line with very unsuitable line mates could help his confidence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Just because he isn't on the score sheet every night doesn't mean he hasn't been impressive. Your expectations for an 18 year old kind coming out of the USNDP to an absolute trash heap NHL team must be delusional. We've already seen him skate circles around other teams. If he was playing on a team like Colorado, with guys that can finish, he'd prob be on pace for 50pts. He's always been described as an elite play maker, not a goal scorer. What do you expect when you slot him with Miles Wood and the corpse of Wayne Simmonds all season? He has already come a long way from how he start the season-- especially defensively.

Don't be so dramatic with the "against the rules" crap. No one is saying it is against the rules. It's a discussion board. Expect people to disagree with you-- especially hot-takes like "it is time to worry about Jack Hughes" 50 games into his career and he can't even sprout a strand of facial hair. 

Exactly where did I say "it is time to worry about Jack Hughes", I'll wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, titans04 said:

Exactly where did I say "it is time to worry about Jack Hughes", I'll wait.

I quoted only your post, but that quote specifically was from Daniel who I meant to multi-quote with you.

Anyway, It's basically implied in what you've said several times about him not being impressive to date. If you weren't worried you wouldn't constantly be bringing up how disappointing you think he is and how you hope he'll get better. Quote being yours or not, it doesn't make anything I said less pertinent since your post and Daniel's post are directly related. 

Seriously, what is with the "I'll wait" thing? Are you a pre-teen or just not capable of having an adult discussion without those little immature jabs thrown in? Diva please, this ain't your gotcha moment. 

pout GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites

agree to disagree, my take on Hughes has been consistent, he hasn't done much of anything so far this season. Does it mean he won't someday grow into a much better player nope I've never said that. As of now he projects out @ 29 points for the season. Not sure a single prediction here had him a that low of a number (13th on a bad team which is just hard to fathom) If there was it was few and far between because I believe most were thinking 50/60 ish. If he's not putting up points he brings very little because he's not a good two way player at this time,  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

agree to disagree, my take on Hughes has been consistent, he hasn't done much of anything so far this season. Does it mean he won't someday grow into a much better player nope I've never said that. As of now he projects out @ 29 points for the season. Not sure a single prediction here had him a that low of a number (13th on a bad team which is just hard to fathom) If there was it was few and far between because I believe most were thinking 50/60 ish. If he's not putting up points he brings very little because he's not a good two way player at this time,  

Most of us had him as pretty much a lock for 2C though. His point total would obviously be at least a bit higher playing with Coleman and Goose, rather than Wood, Simmonds, and Zacha. 

I like Zajac as much as the next guy, but I’m not really sure why he and his 19 points are so untouchable on that 2nd line...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

 

I like Zajac as much as the next guy, but I’m not really sure why he and his 19 points are so untouchable on that 2nd line...

Same no argument there whatsoever.  Still hoping they move on from Zajac after this deal expires. But hopefully that comment doesn't gaslight another save the Zajac after his current deal ends. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, titans04 said:

That's cool, I mean we've done so many great things as an org over the last 13 years. Things like  not having won a single playoff round and counting this season missing the playoffs 8 of those 13 years.  We've won twice as many ping pong lotteries than playoff series during those years, we have placeholders in the head coaching and GM slots.  Our owners continue to sound like they really don't get it either.  If you believe some of the posts yesterday they're now resorting to giving away even more tickets than usual to try and save face on ST sales for next season.

For me there's no more traction in holding onto having won three cups in what feels like a lifetime ago.

If it's against the rules to say Jack hasn't done much of anything more often than not then we should be required to wear red and black blinders when commenting here. Doesn't mean he will never grow into a much better player over time, it means he hasn't been that this season.

13 years?  2012 was 8 years ago, they absolutely won playoff rounds that year.  They've missed the playoffs 8 out of the last 10 years, which is bad enough though.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

13 years?  2012 was 8 years ago, they absolutely won playoff rounds that year.  They've missed the playoffs 8 out of the last 10 years, which is bad enough though.

Yeah my bad!

3 playoff round wins in 13 seasons (counting this one).  2012 clearly an exceptional year with all 3 round wins of the decade +.

Edited by titans04
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 11:00 PM, Nicomo said:

Yeah, Nico definitely should be 1C, I think Hughes only filled in when Nico missed a few games. 

Playing with scrubs can’t be helping his development though. I’m sure he’s not used to having such bad linemates, bad coaching, bad defense...

Hughes needs protection to play with Simmons/Woody under the circumstances Hughes playing w/ Bratt/Palm is a dwarf line, stupid. Will win no board battle.  Hughes/Bratt both easily knocked off the puck. Hughes playing on 1st line w/ those two is wrong. In fact Nico needs a bigger body on his line to help him. He's getting his ass beaten nightly. If you think Boquist is the answer, ..................you're killing me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Hughes needs protection to play with Simmons/Woody under the circumstances Hughes playing w/ Bratt/Palm is a dwarf line, stupid. Will win no board battle.  Hughes/Bratt both easily knocked off the puck. Hughes playing on 1st line w/ those two is wrong. In fact Nico needs a bigger body on his line to help him. He's getting his ass beaten nightly. If you think Boquist is the answer, ..................you're killing me.

 

The answer for size on Hughes’ line would be Miles Wood from his 19 goal season, if anyone could find that guy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Hughes needs protection to play with Simmons/Woody under the circumstances Hughes playing w/ Bratt/Palm is a dwarf line, stupid. Will win no board battle.  Hughes/Bratt both easily knocked off the puck. Hughes playing on 1st line w/ those two is wrong. In fact Nico needs a bigger body on his line to help him. He's getting his ass beaten nightly. If you think Boquist is the answer, ..................you're killing me.

 

Smaller guys are playing together all over the league these days, and Wood and Simmonds are accomplishing nothing anyway, so who cares? 

Hughes needs to play with someone who can finish. Be it Palms, Coleman, or whoever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The answer for size on Hughes’ line would be Miles Wood from his 19 goal season, if anyone could find that guy. 

I know some people thought Coleman was the one who overachieved and would never come close to last years production again, but it’s looking more and more like that’s going to be the case with Wood. 10-15 goals a season kind of feels like his ceiling at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Larry brooks just tweeted over the weekend that Mike Gillis had a 2nd interview with the Devils? Why the hell are they so enamored with this guy.  Fitz did a great job at trade deadline. Give him a shot. He knows all the prospects in the system. And although he was close to Ray and learned from him, he's his own man. How "hands on" is Harris/Blitzer going to be? You can't run a team based mostly on analytics. Even if it's short term.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.