GDT: Devils @ Columbus 7:00 PM

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

We need this week off as much as the players do. 

So much this.  I bought my daughter the entire Harry Potter film collection for Xmas (none of us have seen any of them yet), so we started watching them tonight.  Checked the score and saw the Devils losing 1-0.  Checked not too long later and saw 4-0 and Cory having been pulled.  Sadly that was pretty much exactly what I expected.

As much I get that the season couldn’t possibly be more over and it doesn’t matter how rotten Cory is in 2020...could the Devils just stop trying to make him happen please?  PLEASE?!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Cory has a .852 save % LOL 

6 million dollars a year. SIX MILLION 

to be fair to Schneider and Lou. Cory was easily worth that when he signed that contract. 

he has a .929 season, then .937, then .927, then .921... signed that contract... then had a .925 season, then .924... then Shero came in.. and he fell off a cliff. And he's still falling

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

So basically you just made that up. Got it.

Reports were that the owners wanted more people involved and that Shero wanted less. then there's the whole analytics team going straight to Harry reports... then Shero was fired at the weirdest timing ever after we beat 2 of the top teams in the league... and harry said something about "direction" of the team. So i mean... its all there

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

to be fair to Schneider and Lou. Cory was easily worth that when he signed that contract. 

he has a .929 season, then .937, then .927, then .921... signed that contract... then had a .925 season, then .924... then Shero came in.. and he fell off a cliff. And he's still falling

It was not only worth it at the time, it was a no-brainer. 

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Shero but rather his injury. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Oh I’m not saying it was a mistake or anything, and his contract isn’t killing us, but to be that awful at your job and make that kind of money is crazy. He’s basically stealing his money at this point lol

Just now, Nicomo said:

Oh I’m not saying it was a mistake or anything, and his contract isn’t killing us, but to be that awful at your job and make that kind of money is crazy. He’s basically stealing his money at this point lol

That’s why guys like long term deals, they’re insurance against an irreversible downturn in your career. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Reports were that the owners wanted more people involved and that Shero wanted less. then there's the whole analytics team going straight to Harry reports... then Shero was fired at the weirdest timing ever after we beat 2 of the top teams in the league... and harry said something about "direction" of the team. So i mean... its all there

Third hand speculation at best. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

yeah but he was also making less than a million and posting a .937 sv% at some point too. So i don't think he's feeling too bad about it right now cause he was a deal for awhile.

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

You're doing a lot of speculating. Ownership probably just didn't trust him with the trade deadline coming up. 

9 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

You're doing a lot of speculating. Ownership probably just didn't trust him with the trade deadline coming up. 

Anything i said is something that was reported, i didnt make up anything.

so you're telling me im speculating and follow up right away with your own speculation? Thats cute

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Third hand speculation at best. 

https://www.nj.com/devils/2020/01/behind-devils-timing-and-decision-to-fire-gm-ray-shero.html

That wasn’t good enough for Harris anymore, and with Shero determined to stay the course, friction began to mount.

“Ray wanted to keep doing it his way,” one person with knowledge of ownership's decision told NJ Advance Media.

I mean all im saying is that he was fired cause he didnt see eye to eye with the owner anymore and they had different directions in mind. Harris himself talked about "going in another direction" in an interview.

What the hell do you think happened? Shero walked in with blue socks one day and was fired for it? 

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

https://www.nj.com/devils/2020/01/behind-devils-timing-and-decision-to-fire-gm-ray-shero.html

I mean all im saying is that he was fired cause he didnt see eye to eye with the owner anymore and they had different directions in mind. Harris himself talked about "going in another direction" in an interview.

What the hell do you think happened? Shero walked in with blue socks one day and was fired for it? 

That is literally not “all you said”. You’re just trying to BS your way out of your own BS.

Edited by mfitz804

I think the guy sounds like he couldn't possibly be more out of touch to be honest in this presser (not just this clip).  I also highly doubt he has much of a realistic plan to turn things around.  But let's focus on the positive shall we, they can't lose another game over the next 8 days or so. Cheers Captain Obvious for this quality summation of where we stand.

#sh!tshow

Edited by titans04

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That is literally not “all you said”. You’re just trying to BS your way out of your own BS.

Man how i wish i could come up with something as smart and enlightened as "nobody knows exactly what the owners are thinking". You're like the Sherlock of our times.

Planning on putting your own quotes on tshirts maybe? What's your next pitch? "Water is wet" ?

I said the owners wouldn't let Shero do things his way, which means they wanted him to do what they wanted, which is supported by many reports. I didn't make anything up you smartass

Edited by SterioDesign

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Anything i said is something that was reported, i didnt make up anything.

so you're telling me im speculating and follow up right away with your own speculation? Thats cute

You're setting up an entire narrative about poor Ray the hero being undermined in the middle of his brilliant 15 year build. My "speculation" was simply that its probably not as complicated as you're making it seem. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

You're setting up an entire narrative about poor Ray the hero being undermined in the middle of his brilliant 15 year build. My "speculation" was simply that its probably not as complicated as you're making it seem. 

I'm quite literally going off what's reported here + harris himself saying (with his mouth) that they wanted to go another direction. I love how it's somehow turned like i made up the whole thing lol

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm quite literally going off what's reported here + harris himself saying (with his mouth) that they wanted to go another direction. I love how it's somehow turned like i made up the whole thing lol

In all likelihood Tyler Dellow had more influence with the owners than Ray and he just didn't see it working out in the end. Putting two and two together,  our owners know nothing about hockey and are in the investments business and make their decisions soley based on analysis/math. They hired Dellow for his analytics expertise. Dellow appears to have a major influence,  if not final say with the owners. The next GM better be ok with that.

Seems pretty obvious that the owner and Shero had a rather abrupt falling out.   Still it sucks that we’re in purgatory with a sh!tty team, no permanent GM, and an interim head coach that from the outside looked like he was doing a crap job as an assistant before getting promoted.   All that and we still have a little under half of a season to play out.   Not a good place to be as an organization.   

Re: Zacha.   I was hoping for a Larsson-DeBoer type bounce in his game once Hynes was removed.   Unfortunately his recent play has really gone off a cliff since about the time that the rumors surfaced that he was on the trading block.  Seems like his time is done here and he will be moved in a change of scenery type deal.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So much this.  I bought my daughter the entire Harry Potter film collection for Xmas (none of us have seen any of them yet), so we started watching them tonight.  Checked the score and saw the Devils losing 1-0.  Checked not too long later and saw 4-0 and Cory having been pulled.  Sadly that was pretty much exactly what I expected.

As much I get that the season couldn’t possibly be more over and it doesn’t matter how rotten Cory is in 2020...could the Devils just stop trying to make him happen please?  PLEASE?!

Sadly they didn't have much of a choice this week with both Blackwood and Domingue on the shelf almost concurrently but yeah just get someone, anyone else in here and be done with the Cory stuff.  It's a good thing we weren't at home this week, the guy would have been booed out of the country by the 10000 people there.

• Like 1

To me it seems like the owners want more of a democracy between them, the analytics team, the President (Marty’s role), and the GM instead of the GM being a dictator on everything. It might hurt the ego of an old school GM but I think it could work this way. Less bad decisions falling on one person.

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1