2020 All-Star Game Thread

NJDfan1711

I know this probably won't be a popular thread, but figured it should be made anyway while we have a long break in between games with not much else going on.  As usual, I won't personally make it a priority to watch, but if it turns out I'm not doing much over the weekend and I'm looking for something to watch, or happen I'm out to eat or at a bar and they have it on, I'll check it out for a bit.

I don't know if it was like this last year, but it appears the All-Star games are on Saturday this year?  And is there no Skills Competition?  I thought in year's past it was usually the Skills Comp. on Saturday, and then the All-Star Game(s) on Sunday...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I know this probably won't be a popular thread, but figured it should be made anyway while we have a long break in between games with not much else going on.  As usual, I won't personally make it a priority to watch, but if it turns out I'm not doing much over the weekend and I'm looking for something to watch, or happen I'm out to eat or at a bar and they have it on, I'll check it out for a bit.

I don't know if it was like this last year, but it appears the All-Star games are on Saturday this year?  And is there no Skills Competition?  I thought in year's past it was usually the Skills Comp. on Saturday, and then the All-Star Game(s) on Sunday...

It looks like the skills is on Friday night.

And I like the thread idea. I think Nico turns some heads this weekend in the game

Edited by Devil Dan 56

18 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It looks like the skills is on Friday night.

And I like the thread idea. I think Nico turns some heads this weekend in the game

Oh gotcha, I was looking at the 'Scores' page on NHL.com and it only showed the games, not the skills.  That's cool - I'm probably one of the few that still likes the skills competition.  Unlike the dunk competition in the NBA which can get a little stale because it's hard to be creative and invent new ways to dunk, I still find some of the NHL's classic competitions like the fastest skater, accuracy, and hardest shot interesting and exciting, because guys can almost always do it better/faster.  Sure, eventually someone may get to the point of going as fast as humanly possible around the rink (I guess you could say maybe Gartner already did that) - but to that point, I love seeing guys in today's era try to break that record.  Same with the hardest shot.  I never thought anyone would break Iafrate's record, and then came Chara, and it seemed like, because of his size, he was just destined to do it.  

The only one that is a little stale is perhaps the accuracy competition, because even in the 80s and 90s there were guys who went a perfect 4 for 4, but it's still fun to see which guy's nowadays are the best among their peers, and I can't deny that I like the nostalgia of seeing those old school target plates in the corners of the net.  It takes me back, in a good way.

I might be the only non-Caps fan who was bummed when Chara broke that record. I always really liked Iafrate. 

I also remember the game feeling more important when I was younger. Especially when the ballots were in the Brendan Byrne/ CAA and id just check off Devils and cross off Rangers as a kid. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I might be the only non-Caps fan who was bummed when Chara broke that record. I always really liked Iafrate. 

I also remember the game feeling more important when I was younger. Especially when the ballots were in the Brendan Byrne/ CAA and id just check off Devils and cross off Rangers as a kid. 

I liked Iafrate too.  His hair alone made him instantly recognizable and loveable lol.

Yeah the ASG is really more geared to kids IMO.  I find the 3 on 3 tournament format to have already gone stale.  I wish they would either go back to East vs West or fantasy draft teams at this point.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I liked Iafrate too.  His hair alone made him instantly recognizable and loveable lol.

Yeah the ASG is really more geared to kids IMO.  I find the 3 on 3 tournament format to have already gone stale.  I wish they would either go back to East vs West or fantasy draft teams at this point.

I'd be happy with just the skills competition, to be honest. Maybe they could add more events and do it over two days. 

How about the Miles Wood Goalie Bowling competition?

Pavel Zacha "Almost" scoring competition (quickest to his both posts and crossbar)?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I'd be happy with just the skills competition, to be honest. Maybe they could add more events and do it over two days. 

How about the Miles Wood Goalie Bowling competition?

Pavel Zacha "Almost" scoring competition (quickest to his both posts and crossbar)?

It has to be post and crossbar and out though. If he hits post and it goes in, it's not a true Zacha shot

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Funny, I associate Iafrate with the Leafs more than any other team that he played for.  In ways to me he'll always be a "could have been"...he had tremendous skills, but never seemed to put up numbers worthy of those skills.  

In the year he was dealt from the Leafs to the Caps (the 1990-91 season), he put up an insane amount of penalty minutes...237 of them in just 72 GP.  Can't help but wonder how much of that was due to that very sticky off-ice situation (Leafs teammate Gary Leeman dating his estranged wife, which is said to have torn that already far-from-harmonic team completely apart)...almost like he was taking his anger out on just about everyone during games.  He never came close to having that many penalty minutes in any of his other seasons.  

The skills competition is the only bit of the all-star weekend that is remotely interesting. 

I was thinking of ways to make that really the main event and the only thing I could think of was having it in a format like the world's strongest Man . This is my idea:

Every team has to sent their best player.

There are four heats per division. 

Every player takes part in a selection of events (maybe 5) in that heat, so for example hardest shot, most accurate , fastest skater, wherever else. 

Based on where the player finished they are awarded points. So first in the fastest skater gets 10 points , 2nd gets 8 points etc. Etc. 

The top two in each divisional heat go through to the final. 

The final follows the same format , with one player being crowned the best player. 

Do the heats on one day , final on another. 

Scrap the game all together, no one really gives a sh!t. 

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I'll probably catch the highlights on /r/hockey. 

Though I'm pretty interested in and will try to tune in for the women's 3 on 3.  I've never watched women's hockey before and am kinda curious how it looks on the ice, especially 3v3.

Edited by Devilsfan118

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'll be honest, I'll probably catch the highlights on /r/hockey. 

Though I'm pretty interested in and will try to tune in for the women's 3 on 3.  I've never watched women's hockey before and am kinda curious how it looks on the ice, especially 3v3.

It looks the same but with ponytails. 

• Haha 1

What would be really cool is if during the break every teams would have their own skills competition. Make a team / fans day out of it. Meet and greet and the whole chabang. Then have all those skills competition between the team. Then the top wtv out of all those results get to go to the NHL skills competition. 

So instead of getting the best out of a select group. You'd really get the best out of the league. And then maybe you get players actually motivated to be the best in that scenario.

12 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

The skills competition is the only bit of the all-star weekend that is remotely interesting. 

I was thinking of ways to make that really the main event and the only thing I could think of was having it in a format like the world's strongest Man . This is my idea:

Every team has to sent their best player.

There are four heats per division. 

Every player takes part in a selection of events (maybe 5) in that heat, so for example hardest shot, most accurate , fastest skater, wherever else. 

Based on where the player finished they are awarded points. So first in the fastest skater gets 10 points , 2nd gets 8 points etc. Etc. 

The top two in each divisional heat go through to the final. 

The final follows the same format , with one player being crowned the best player. 

Do the heats on one day , final on another. 

Scrap the game all together, no one really gives a sh!t. 

Not a bad idea. Winning team moves up three positions in the next draft lol. 

Why are women playing the most wretched slow 3 on 3 hockey I've ever seen? They're boring. TV off.

Absolutely wretched. 

This is the NHL skills competition so why are they forcefeeding hockey that would lose to most boys high school teams around America and Canada 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, '7' said:

Why are women playing the most wretched slow 3 on 3 hockey I've ever seen? They're boring. TV off.

Absolutely wretched. 

This is the NHL skills competition so why are they forcefeeding hockey that would lose to most boys high school teams around America and Canada 

Yup, just saw a highlight of a breakaway and said wow must be the end of a super long shift..zero ATP left in the muscle.. but she didnt look exhausted for the celebration .. she was just  

Btw, Zacha was probably disappointed barzel won.. the little guy fit behind the net and was able to get in and out of his cross overs quicker...

58 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The women's game was women, but it wasn't bad for what it was. Definitely slower but I am not going to act like they couldn't smoke my men's league team lol.

Admittedly not even close to as exciting as NHL 3 on 3 and I'm in the same boat as the other people who are feeling force fed.

I’m all for women’s hockey programs, but it’s the NHL All Star game. Those ladies aren’t NHL All Stars. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m all for women’s hockey programs, but it’s the NHL All Star game. Those ladies aren’t NHL All Stars. 

I agree with you, especially on principle, but it's a PR stunt that happens once a year at an event that is barely entertaining anyway. If I have to have it shoved in my face for an hour a year I can deal with it, especially at the Allstar game.

I understand why people think the NHL should be promoting women's sports, but I still don't think it is the NHL's job to be trying to promote a brand they don't even carry. It shouldn't be the NHL's job to make people like women's hockey.

• Like 2