Sign in to follow this  
NJDfan1711

2020 All-Star Game Thread

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m all for women’s hockey programs, but it’s the NHL All Star game. Those ladies aren’t NHL All Stars. 

Oh who the hell cares. They had a 3 on 3 and were shooting hockey pucks from the concourse. If you don’t like it don’t watch. I think a lot of young female fans watched last night with stars in their eyes, if it helps grow our game it’s awesome.

The lot of you complain about absolutely everything. Must be a terrible way to live.

• Like 4

Nico with the equalizer midway in the first half. Helped the metro overcome the usual Holtby 2 gift goals

• Like 2

Nico with a pair now. Konecny with the nice feed on the back end of the give and go.

also, doc just said Nico will enter into the military this summer to complete his Mandatory basic training. Said he didn’t want to wait until he’s older.

No hat trick for Nico and Metro is out. Well now he can rest up for the second half of the season

The 3 on 3 garbage has made the all star game even less exciting than it used to be. Somehow.

just cancel this already

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

Oh who the hell cares. They had a 3 on 3 and were shooting hockey pucks from the concourse. If you don’t like it don’t watch. I think a lot of young female fans watched last night with stars in their eyes, if it helps grow our game it’s awesome.

The lot of you complain about absolutely everything. Must be a terrible way to live.

maybe people just don't want to watch low quality garbage. Yea let's attract 5 casual female fans at the expense of 1000 real fans. Great strategy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, '7' said:

maybe people just don't want to watch low quality garbage. Yea let's attract 5 casual female fans at the expense of 1000 real fans. Great strategy

You’re worse than a wet blanket. You constantly act like the world pissed in your Cheerios. You’re the human equivalent of stepping on a lego wearing a damp sock while simultaneously dealing with a case of hemherroids. 

I hope you’re happier in your real life than you are on here. I mean that.

Edited by MB3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If I have to have it shoved in my face for an hour a year I can deal with it, especially at the Allstar game.

I had to isolate and quote this because I have the sense of humor of an 8th grader. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 9:31 AM, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh gotcha, I was looking at the 'Scores' page on NHL.com and it only showed the games, not the skills.  That's cool - I'm probably one of the few that still likes the skills competition.  Unlike the dunk competition in the NBA which can get a little stale because it's hard to be creative and invent new ways to dunk, I still find some of the NHL's classic competitions like the fastest skater, accuracy, and hardest shot interesting and exciting, because guys can almost always do it better/faster.  Sure, eventually someone may get to the point of going as fast as humanly possible around the rink (I guess you could say maybe Gartner already did that) - but to that point, I love seeing guys in today's era try to break that record.  Same with the hardest shot.  I never thought anyone would break Iafrate's record, and then came Chara, and it seemed like, because of his size, he was just destined to do it.  

The only one that is a little stale is perhaps the accuracy competition, because even in the 80s and 90s there were guys who went a perfect 4 for 4, but it's still fun to see which guy's nowadays are the best among their peers, and I can't deny that I like the nostalgia of seeing those old school target plates in the corners of the net.  It takes me back, in a good way.

Agree in that I always thought the skills competition was pretty cool...especially when it was first introduced and it felt so fresh.  I remember seeing some teams just perform their own skills competition...the Flyers come to mind, back when Falloon was playing for them.  Think the money sold for tickets went to charity.  

I think ASGs in general have kind of run their course though...once upon a time, they were a chance to see those names you knew and heard about constantly, but rarely got to actually see first-hand.  Obviously we’ve seen coverage evolve to the point where you can go to nhl.com, click on any box score, and see a replay of every goal scored in that game.  Obviously other sources to see highlights of all kinds as well.

The mystique and appeal of these games is just so watered down now, with this much access to out-of-town players and teams...and as we’ve seen, it’s getting to the point where ASGs don’t really accurately reflect the regular-season product anymore...basketball, hockey, and football are all played at half-speed with minimal contact...and hockey’s not even 5-on-5 anymore.  And you have your fair share of players who’d rather just take that time off to rest and recharge...sure, some players still approach being chosen as an honor, but definitely not all of them.  And of course, heaven forbid it’s your team that sees a top player suffer injury in any given ASG...

I do give the NHL credit for not being afraid of tinkering around in trying to find a fresh approach...just don’t think this event will ever have the pizzazz that it once did, no matter what they try.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

I have to say this has been pretty fun to watch. It's clear all the guys are there to put in minimal, non-injury-risking effort, but there have been some fun, gorgeous goals tonight. 

Now Green Day is on, time to check out some college hockey

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I have to say this has been pretty fun to watch. It's clear all the guys are there to put in minimal, non-injury-risking effort, but there have been some fun, gorgeous goals tonight. 

Now Green Day is on, time to check out some college hockey

As far as all star games goes; nothing will ever touch the MLB’s all star game and home run derby. But the NHL is a CLEAR second best, especially after they went to the division-teams and 3-on-3 tournament.

the nba all star game and the pro bowl are both flat out unwatchable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Nico with a pair now. Konecny with the nice feed on the back end of the give and go.

also, doc just said Nico will enter into the military this summer to complete his Mandatory basic training. Said he didn’t want to wait until he’s older.

Kid is so damn likable. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MB3 said:

As far as all star games goes; nothing will ever touch the MLB’s all star game and home run derby. But the NHL is a CLEAR second best, especially after they went to the division-teams and 3-on-3 tournament.

At least in baseball, the core part of the game (pitcher vs batter) remains intact, compared to games that count.  Pitchers who throw hard and/or have killer stuff don’t dial their stuff down for the ASG.  You’ll obviously see less contact and no hard slides on the basepaths, but I can live with that.  Baseball remains the one sport whose game structure best lends itself to decent (and less compromised) ASGs.

And if anything, baseball also works better because you have your “softening” of the game getting its own dedicated event with the HR derby...no, you’re not going to ever see a series of slow fastballs right down the center of the plate in a real game, but it can definitely be entertaining watching the league’s best HR hitters just cranking moonshot after moonshot.  Gives fans that much more appreciation for the brute strength that some of these players possess.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

You’re worse than a wet blanket. You constantly act like the world pissed in your Cheerios. You’re the human equivalent of stepping on a lego wearing a damp sock while simultaneously dealing with a case of hemherroids. 

I hope you’re happier in your real life than you are on here. I mean that.

Well then enjoy the all star crap. In this world there are going to be people who disagree with you. You have to accept it without resorting to personal attack tantrums

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MB3 said:

homerun derby is literally one of the most boring things in sports history.

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

homerun derby is literally one of the most boring things in sports history.

Yeah I hate it. One guy usually goes on a run and then the rest of his turn is interesting. But the rest of it is awful. 

I watched half of the skills competition and the Atlantic/Metro game the next day.  Yeah it was pretty boring and the 3 on 3 format has official run its course.  I think it is time to go back to either East vs West traditional format or the fantasy draft teams (the drafting was kinda fun).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Clearly, that was a Frking hard shot. 

he's not Frking around for sure

• Haha 1