2020 All-Star Game Thread

NJDfan1711

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Hopefully they drop that dumb shoot from 30 feet above the ice segment. They wasted all that time setting that up and everyone shot for the same giant target. Also made absolutely no sense that the small targets that were actually way harder to hit were only 10 points when the giant target was also 10 points. You have to at least give them a reason to shoot for the harder targets. 

I don't know how anyone watched this entire thing live. It went for like 3.5 hours and I think I watched the whole thing, including the 20 min women's game in about 45 mins on the DVR. 

Yeah that last even was pretty horrible.  It was corny, disorganized, and just outright dumb - for the reasons you mentioned.  I give them credit for trying something new, no one can say they're not putting in an effort to make the event more entertaining and fun, but that experiment definitely failed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

FFS 3.5 hours??!!?  I stopped watching a few minutes into the women's 3 on 3 game due to boredom with the entire event.  Good lord 3.5 hours is brutal.

I enjoyed the fastest skater, accuracy, and hardest shot, like I figured I would.  The women's 3 on 3 wasn't too bad....it wasn't thrilling, but I tried to be open to watching it and give it a chance. Mostly I was just curious about their abilities and how they played the game (I've never really watched a women's hockey game start to finish before).  

The one thing I wish they did more or a better job of was showing the current records for each event.  Example, I thought Gartner still had the fastest skater record and didn't realize Larkin beat it a few years ago until I had to look it up because they weren't showing it. 

5 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I enjoyed the fastest skater, accuracy, and hardest shot, like I figured I would.  The women's 3 on 3 wasn't too bad....it wasn't thrilling, but I tried to be open to watching it and give it a chance. Mostly I was just curious about their abilities and how they played the game (I've never really watched a women's hockey game start to finish before).  

The one thing I wish they did more or a better job of was showing the current records for each event.  Example, I thought Gartner still had the fastest skater record and didn't realize Larkin beat it a few years ago until I had to look it up because they weren't showing it. 

To me, those skills events lose their luster a little bit when the record holders are current players who aren't there.  I don't think fastest skater is all-that thrilling without Larkin and same with Hardest Shot without Chara.

But the whole event is way too long.  It needs to be 2-2.5 hours max.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

To me, those skills events lose their luster a little bit when the record holders are current players who aren't there.  I don't think fastest skater is all-that thrilling without Larkin and same with Hardest Shot without Chara.

But the whole event is way too long.  It needs to be 2-2.5 hours max.

Agreed, and that brings up an interesting point... maybe any player who wins an event gets an automatic bid to the event the following year, to try to repeat?  I guess it would be an issue if that guy had a sh!tty season that next year, but I think it could still be a cool idea.