Zajac Turns Down Trade Scenario

titans04

57 minutes ago, devlman said:

So much for the theory that Shero wanted to knock everything down 🙄

guess the owners are pro tank after all. Color me shocked.

yeah i mean... if they were willing to trade zajac... then i'd assume they were willing to trade Palms and anyone else around that age

Zajac is my favorite devils player currently on the team...  Not because of skills (Nico is another dimension), or team success (sadly)... but i'm sentimental ... Always loved this guy ! I'm happy to see him retired as a Devils ! 
And next cup will be with him in the lineup ! 

42 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

As others have said - well within his rights to say 'no', he's certainly earned it.

But that said, I don't see the need to keep him around if he continues to decline just so he can catch Dano's record.

I don't think anyone is arguing to resign him at top dollar so he can chase Dano.

But NTC's have value... it's part of his compensation.    It allows him a secure personal life, where he knows he can see his kids for home games without having to move them around the country as a journeyman to earn his checks.
He still has another year on his contract too, so any trade would be incredibly disruptive.

I'm happy he put family first rather than chase cup dreams.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, titans04 said:

man I don't think we really need a 38-39 year old zajac hanging around to catch up to Daneyko in games played.  Just unnecessary in my opinion.

I'm totally OK with him saying no to a trade and wanting to ride out his last year with us next year - but after that, agreed, I think it's best to move on from him.  

For the time being, he's earned the right to be here - frankly I'm a bit shocked he doesn't want to go somewhere else and have a shot at a Cup, but perhaps he's waiting until next off-season when he can decide that himself.  Until then, I think he's a good guy to have in the locker room.  He's still valuable killing penalties, and we don't have many veterans on this team, much less any who have been on this team for a while and know what it means "to be a Devil" so to speak.  In these trying times for this organization, it's amazing, and imperative, that we have a guy who actually wants to be here and appreciates this team.  

13 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

This is fine, he can stay. Just as long as he has zero expectations of getting any kind of money from us in the next contract.

That’s right. What’s your number? 

I think two years at $4-5m per is probably what he gets. 

Just now, Rob_Ottawa said:

not a fvcking chance.

His numbers don't warrant more than $2 mil  per year

Also not a fvcking chance. 

19 G and nearly 50 points one season ago. You just paid a shell of Wayne Simmonds $5m. You're going to offer your most senior player a nearly $4m pay cut when you have zero cap issues and literally nobody wants to play here but he does?

Maybe you get a little discount because he wants to stay in New Jersey, but you think he's worth less than Miles Wood? "Almost" Zacha money?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Yes. At his age and performance, if he wants $4 mil then I will drive him to the airport myself.

BTW, just because we gave out horrible contracts to Simmons, Wood etc doesn't mean we have to keep making the same mistakes.

Neither one of those deals is a horrible contract. So now I see where you're coming from. 

i don't necessarily think this was the devils actively shopping him.

if you want to read between the lines, lou and the isles asked the devils - find out if he'll waive his NTC and then we can see if a trade makes sense. so they asked.

honestly - the only two teams i could see him agreeing to a trade with would be the isles and the rangers. i don't think he has any interest in moving his family from this area for a while.

• Like 2

No issues with Zajac wanting to stay through the end of his contract...just like players have every right to exercise their UFA rights when the time comes, ditto a NTC.  Sometimes those NTCs can suck for the GMs who take over for the GMs who doled them out, but that it what it is.

28 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

not a fvcking chance.

His numbers don't warrant more than $2 mil  per year

It doesn't make a difference if the Devils give him another year or two at $2 million or $4 million.  They're not going to have cap issues any time soon.  At least he's a good example of how to conduct yourself off and on the ice, and I think he brings brains to the table (even if he doesn't necessarily possess the best pure skills).  

This being said, this is something you revisit after next year...he'll be completing his age 35 season and will be 36 at the start of the 2021-22 campaign.  It's impossible to know for sure how much he'll have left at the point.  It may be a case of the Devils simply having to say goodbye.  But if he's about what he is right now, as 2020-21 is wrapping up, and he's still here and wants to play another season or two...yeah, I would definitely consider bringing him back on a short-term deal.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

You find Wood has a reasonable contract? Really have to disagree with that

It’s a 4 year deal, $2.5m for 3 years and then $3.5m the 4th. He’s getting paid pennies. Given our current payroll, his deal is an irrelevancy.

I still think it's unfair to say we have zero cap issues because until they spend to the cap it's not a stretch to think they have an internal cap. They're bottom feeders when it comes to the cap. Overspending on marginally talented guys is never a good idea. 

33 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s a 4 year deal, $2.5m for 3 years and then $3.5m the 4th. He’s getting paid pennies. Given our current payroll, his deal is an irrelevancy.

Yeah with Hall out of the picture our potential future cap issue is basically gone.

I wouldn't mind Zajac on a 2-year deal.  Even at $4M per I say keep him.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be more prudent to sign any player over 35 to 1 year contracts? I wouldn't mind signing Greene to a  1 year, Zajac when it comes time. I'm hoping by then Andy's a 5-6 d man,  & we have a few studs in 1-4 D pairings. 

25 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Wouldn't it be more prudent to sign any player over 35 to 1 year contracts? I wouldn't mind signing Greene to a  1 year, Zajac when it comes time. I'm hoping by then Andy's a 5-6 d man,  & we have a few studs in 1-4 D pairings. 

Yeah, one year deals are fine. Zajac is still serviceable, I wouldn't have a problem with two. 

Greene I would prefer one, but I would consider two. Again, the guy has been here forever through some sh!t years, I would give him the extra year out of loyalty. You aren't talking a contract that's going to break the bank. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sundstrom said:

i don't necessarily think this was the devils actively shopping him.

if you want to read between the lines, lou and the isles asked the devils - find out if he'll waive his NTC and then we can see if a trade makes sense. so they asked.

honestly - the only two teams i could see him agreeing to a trade with would be the isles and the rangers. i don't think he has any interest in moving his family from this area for a while.

image.gif.b8fad8279a091cbff7b850bbfab7a20d.gif

• Like 2