Devils @ Senators - 7:30 PM EST - TSN5, RDS2, MSG+, NHL.TV

Devs3cups

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Tuned in right when Zacha hit the post and decided I’d stay away from the forum for the night if the devils took the L.

Nico is a grown ass man on the boards. Starting to have a ton of Parise in him, in that every 50/50 puck near the boards seems to end up in his possession. 

Jack Hughes needs to follow whatever program Nico did after his first season. Nico was sh!t at possession his first year and now he’s a beast. 

If Jack can do that, he’ll be unstoppable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I don’t think I’ve agreed with, or liked, a single post of yours since you joined here. 

I can’t say I could argue that statement one bit.  I’ve been a pessimistic fan in all sports for most of my life even though some of my teams have had quite a lot of success in years past.  I’d just give anything for some of my teams to be good again.

I’d probably also have to say this might be the closest thing to any post I’ve submitted that can be somewhat acceptable, just a guess, but I could be wrong about that too.

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Just watched the highlights on YouTube, annoying that they didn’t show our first shootout goal. Jack’s was pretty though. 

My favourite section of the highlights was overtime, where they literally just showed the clock hit 0.00 and that was it . 

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

My favourite section of the highlights was overtime, where they literally just showed the clock hit 0.00 and that was it . 

They showed a bunch from OT on the official NHL channel. The voice crack at 8:04 was funny sh!t lol

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Jack Hughes needs to follow whatever program Nico did after his first season. Nico was sh!t at possession his first year and now he’s a beast. 

If Jack can do that, he’ll be unstoppable. 

A major part of the program might be letting nature do it's thing, in fairness.  Jack's a boy amongst men out there still.

• Like 1

As for the team: I’m glad they won this one. The Devils under the end of DBA would have folded and lost that game especially after the two shortys. They battled, even with post after damn post, tied it, then won it in the gimmick.

the young guys need to learn how to win games like that and last night thankfully they did.

Bring on DBA’s Preds.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

Also, forum whipping boy Damon Severson was a stud tonight 

As of last night, he now has the equivalent of five full NHL seasons (in terms of games played) under his belt, and he hasn't really shown much in the way of growth.  Sure, he'll have his occasional offensive surges and will appear to be making some progress here and there...to be followed by more bone-headedness and just general "What the fvck is he doing?  Is this guy ever going to figure it out?" moments.  

If you're happy with "He is what he is" and you accept that he's never going to be any better than he is right now (which really isn't good), or you assess the majority of the blame to the organization for not developing him properly, then yeah, I guess you can both imply that he's somehow unfairly picked on, and choose to point out when he's had a pretty good game to the "unfair" masses.  But I don't think the criticisms and frustrations are undeserved at all, and weren't pulled out of thin air for the sake of needing a whipping boy.  Not like this roster has a shortage of targets in that regard.    

As much as I'm not a Seves guy at this point, I do think the Devils can give him one last year next season, in the hope that he's a late bloomer (or will benefit from the yet-to-be-found new coaching staff)...he's cost-controlled for three more seasons after this one, and as DD56 has pointed out quite correctly, the Devils have to keep SOME of the current D bodies around next season...it's easy to scream "CLEAN HOUSE!  DUMP 'EM ALL!", but the next wave of young defensemen aren't likely to be ready yet, and I guess there's this tiny minuscule part of me that still hangs onto the slightest sliver of hope that in a couple of years, a 27-year-old Seves will be one of those homegrown vets who suffered through his share of rough days for a number of years, but eventually put it together enough to become that Mr. Reliable guy that you don't really worry about much at all...and a guy that the Devils will actually want to re-sign in 2023.  But man that seems like the pipey-ist of pipe dreams...  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Any chance the puck just accidentally deflected off his giant head and he got credited for it?

See the source image

• Haha 3

The team was not prepared to play last night.  The effort was there, as evidenced by the shots on goal, but they were horribly rusty.  Passes were not crisp and jumping off sticks, and we were out of position quite a bit too.  I won't even get started on the two back to back SH goals.  

Blackwood looked very sharp again as he has for the last month or two.  Gusev needs to really shoot more and he'd be a very dangerous player.  For whatever reason, I think maybe because he's trying to round out his game, I've seen him second guess himself a bit lately and he starts to think pass first rather than shoot, especially in some pretty obvious situations.  

Palmieri and Nico continue to lead this team.  I think Hughes will eventually join them as a solid top 3 on this team.  We all know Zacha needs to stop up, but one guy who has seemingly been invisible lately is Bratt.  He had some glorious chances last night and couldn't finish any of them.  

The defense is meh and they are what they are.  I liked Subban's intensity last night, and Severson looked pretty good.  Butcher on the other hand, he looked slow and like he had cement shoes on.  I specifically saw him almost get beat to a puck on the corner when he had a HUGE head start on the opposing player.  

Hopefully we can string together a few wins here - I noticed on the schedule we have quite a few home games coming up - would be nice to start to bad that home record, and give the fans something nice to watch and cheer about.  Let's start with a win against our old fool of a coach on Thursday. 

27 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The team was not prepared to play last night.  The effort was there, as evidenced by the shots on goal, but they were horribly rusty.  Passes were not crisp and jumping off sticks, and we were out of position quite a bit too.  I won't even get started on the two back to back SH goals.  

They sh!t the bed on that SH shift, but otherwise dominated the game and assaulted the goalie with shots. 

The other stuff you mentioned is true, but they've basically been doing that all season, its not a function of rust. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The defense is meh and they are what they are.  I liked Subban's intensity last night, and Severson looked pretty good.  Butcher on the other hand, he looked slow and like he had cement shoes on.  I specifically saw him almost get beat to a puck on the corner when he had a HUGE head start on the opposing player.  

Butcher had been a disappointment all season. He just seems to have regressed since his first season. 

The thing that worries me most about the defense is if Vatanen gets traded, Greene is out of contract, the rest are meh and there's no prospects ready to come up next season then who the hell are they going to bring in? Watching another season of Carrick & Mueller is not a thrilling prospect.

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

Butcher had been a disappointment all season. He just seems to have regressed since his first season. 

The thing that worries me most about the defense is if Vatanen gets traded, Greene is out of contract, the rest are meh and there's no prospects ready to come up next season then who the hell are they going to bring in? Watching another season of Carrick & Mueller is not a thrilling prospect.

Agreed.  I think we're all hoping, and maybe assuming, that Smith should be ready, given that he was projected to possibly be ready at the start of this current season. 

If Vatanen gets traded then you're right, we're in trouble.  If he stays, then a top 4 of Vatanen-Subban-Severson-Smith isn't really that bad - you keep Butcher and either Mueller or Carrick on the bottom pairing.  What would really round that out is if we could trade for a shutdown d-man who would have an immediate impact.  You could argue, pretty easily, that we did or intended to do that very thing by acquiring Subban, but I think we got him more for his offensive upside (which so far hasn't really panned out too well), but I don't know if it's reasonable to expect them to try to go out and get another top-end d-man after we did that just last summer. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

They sh!t the bed on that SH shift, but otherwise dominated the game and assaulted the goalie with shots. 

The other stuff you mentioned is true, but they've basically been doing that all season, its not a function of rust. 

I suppose so. Maybe it just looked like more than usual.

• Like 1