Sign in to follow this  
Devs3cups

Devils @ Senators - 7:30 PM EST - TSN5, RDS2, MSG+, NHL.TV

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

Butcher had been a disappointment all season. He just seems to have regressed since his first season. 

The thing that worries me most about the defense is if Vatanen gets traded, Greene is out of contract, the rest are meh and there's no prospects ready to come up next season then who the hell are they going to bring in? Watching another season of Carrick & Mueller is not a thrilling prospect.

Agreed.  I think we're all hoping, and maybe assuming, that Smith should be ready, given that he was projected to possibly be ready at the start of this current season. 

If Vatanen gets traded then you're right, we're in trouble.  If he stays, then a top 4 of Vatanen-Subban-Severson-Smith isn't really that bad - you keep Butcher and either Mueller or Carrick on the bottom pairing.  What would really round that out is if we could trade for a shutdown d-man who would have an immediate impact.  You could argue, pretty easily, that we did or intended to do that very thing by acquiring Subban, but I think we got him more for his offensive upside (which so far hasn't really panned out too well), but I don't know if it's reasonable to expect them to try to go out and get another top-end d-man after we did that just last summer. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

They sh!t the bed on that SH shift, but otherwise dominated the game and assaulted the goalie with shots. 

The other stuff you mentioned is true, but they've basically been doing that all season, its not a function of rust. 

I suppose so. Maybe it just looked like more than usual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I suppose so. Maybe it just looked like more than usual.

More than when we blew huge leads to lose in the third or OT by giving up 5 unanswered? Not to me. 

8 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Maybe it’s time to take Zajac off the PP...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Maybe it’s time to take Zajac off the PP...

I really wish you said Jack instead because “Jack off the PP”. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Then there’s this...

That feels like a very specifically cherry picked stat. 

32 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It is stunningly mind-blowing though that PK has picked up just two PP points through 49 games.  TWO!  He went his first 38 games without notching ANY PP points.  During his prime years, you could count on at least 20 PP points from him...even last season, he put up 10 PP in 63 GP.  

It's really been an off-the-charts disastrous year from him.  I really hope this is a case of "Everything that could've gone wrong for PK, did."  Last year's disappearing act after a solid start doesn't have me terribly hopeful though.  

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's really been an off-the-charts disastrous year from him.  I really hope this is a case of "Everything that could've gone wrong for PK, did."  Last year's disappearing act after a solid start doesn't have me terribly hopeful though.  

I'm sure Subban is partly to blame, but at what point do we look at this dumpsterfire of a franchise and give him some slack?

Clearly most guys aren't thriving in this franchise right now.

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm sure Subban is partly to blame, but at what point do we look at this dumpsterfire of a franchise and give him some slack?

Clearly most guys aren't thriving in this franchise right now.

He was one of the guys who was brought in to help.  He hasn't.  No, not 100% all on him, but Palms has still been Palms despite the team not being good, Nico has found a way to step up his game despite not having a ton of support, and Coleman continues to find ways to stubbornly produce.  Gusev has bounced back from a rough NHL beginning to put up 21 points in his last 26 GP.  It's not like no one on the team has found away to rise above.  

Not saying that you're necessarily guilty of this, but when do people stop making excuses for PK and stop ignoring (or minimizing) what's right in front of them?  Even the worst of worst-case scenarios never saw him putting up 11 points through 49 games.  He's been a little better lately, but overall it's been a terrible terrible season for him.  I just hope there's a reset button waiting to be pressed this offseason...as has been noted, at least his cap hit won't hurt the next two years.  

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He was one of the guys who was brought in to help.  He hasn't.  No, not 100% all on him, but Palms has still been Palms despite the team not being good, Nico has found a way to step up his game despite not having a ton of support, and Coleman continues to find ways to stubbornly produce.  Gusev has bounced back from a rough NHL beginning to put up 21 points in his last 26 GP.  It's not like no one on the team has found away to rise above.  

Not saying that you're necessarily guilty of this, but when do people stop making excuses for PK and stop ignoring (or minimizing) what's right in front of them?  Even the worst of worst-case scenarios never saw him putting up 11 points through 49 games.  He's been a little better lately, but overall it's been a terrible terrible season for him.  I just hope there's a reset button waiting to be pressed this offseason...as has been noted, at least his cap hit won't hurt the next two years.  

While he has played better in the last 4-6 weeks, yeah he has had a bad season and a lot of blame is squarely on him.  This isn't a guy who looks to be a top 10 D-man or even a top 50 D-man in the league for that matter.

Maybe the Lindsay Vonn curse is real......

22 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

656EB922-D032-44E2-9D01-B3ED02C7FB47.gif

Yea that shocked me too. I mean seriously 50 games into the season you have to be pretty inept to not have 1 second unit goal. That has to be an NHL record (if such records are even kept)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Considering it was 3-2 GF/GA the night before last, the answer is yes it is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've seen flashes from Subban of his old self. That game he played against Nashville a little while ago he looked pretty damn good. Probably an "I'll show you guys" moment. But since...he's just kind of a bland disinterested shell of his former self. 

Since @Devs3cups hasn’t had a chance to make tonight’s GDT, I’m posting this here: can’t wait to either be down a pair in the 3rd tonight and win in regulation OR be up a goal or two and watch their 3rd line trot out at a regular interval because DBA. Oh man do I want this win tonight so damn badly.

• Like 1

Just now, jagknife said:

Since @Devs3cups hasn’t had a chance to make tonight’s GDT, I’m posting this here: can’t wait to either be down a pair in the 3rd tonight and win in regulation OR be up a goal or two and watch their 3rd line trot out at a regular interval because DBA. Oh man do I want this win tonight so damn badly.

He’s baaaaaack: 

2A76A284-E44A-4A6C-97B5-D963C65D3A8F.gif

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

It was nice taking an extended vacation from this team. I only watched Mondays game last night and was nice to see them get a win but I'm just beyond over this season.

I really want to beat Nashville tonight though, I want a 7-0 blow out. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jagknife said:

On it right now ;)