2020 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

And we already got our gut punch with the Cohen thing falling apart. I do feel though that we'll have new ownership before the end of the season (or be in the midst of some kind of transition) maybe it won't be Cohen deep pockets but...I think better days are ahead in terms of a competent ownership group

Glad the Beltran stuff is behind us. Whether it was him, or Beltran...it's going to be very very hard to be worse than Callaway at managing this team. Especially late and close games in terms of the pen

I just pray our injury luck is better. Even middle of the road injury wise would be a step up from the devastation of last year. And the bizarre freakish injuries can please buzz off...

Edited by '7'

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah it seems the silver lining of the Cohen nonsense is now it’s public knowledge the team is up for sale and it doesn’t look like Fred and Jeff can drag their feet forever. It would have been nice to have a mega billionaire who’s a Mets fan though.

What's funny is once this sale finally does happen (and it looks like Freddy and Jeffy finally realize that no new owner is going to want their poisonous presence lingering one second past a completed deal), we probably won't read about the Wilpons again until their obits (complete with "Former Owner of the New York Mets Has Died"...).  

21 minutes ago, '7' said:

And we already got our gut punch with the Cohen thing falling apart. I do feel though that we'll have new ownership before the end of the season (or be in the midst of some kind of transition) maybe it won't be Cohen deep pockets but...I think better days are ahead in terms of a competent ownership group

Glad the Beltran stuff is behind us. Whether it was him, or Beltran...it's going to be very very hard to be worse than Callaway at managing this team. Especially late and close games in terms of the pen

I just pray our injury luck is better. Even middle of the road injury wise would be a step up from the devastation of last year. And the bizarre freakish injuries can please buzz off...

There's never any guarantees with new ownership, but it's long past time for the Wilponzis to fvck off into the sunset.  There was a time that they actually did spend, and that does get forgotten (not like the Yankee$ of course, and definitely not always wisely, but they spent more than they were given credit for, once upon a time).  But as we all well know, their fvckups FAR outweigh anything that they've done well...and as we also well know, they usually have to screw something up monumentally first before the resulting outcry and criticisms makes them realize that they need to fix yet another mess of their own making.  And Jeffy has to be in the Top 5 of Least Likable People in MLB.  He's a living breathing buzzkill.  

The new owner(s) are going to get the ultimate red carpet treatment, that's for damned sure.  We'll love them off the bat simply because they'll be the Anyone-But-The-Wilpons.  And I doubt that anyone willing to buy the Mets won't come with reasonably deep pockets...maybe not Cohen-deep, but they'll have money to put into the team.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's funny is once this sale finally does happen (and it looks like Freddy and Jeffy finally realize that no new owner is going to want their poisonous presence lingering one second past a completed deal), we probably won't read about the Wilpons again until their obits (complete with "Former Owner of the New York Mets Has Died"...).  

There's never any guarantees with new ownership, but it's long past time for the Wilponzis to fvck off into the sunset.  There was a time that they actually did spend, and that does get forgotten (not like the Yankee$ of course, and definitely not always wisely, but they spent more than they were given credit for, once upon a time).  But as we all well know, their fvckups FAR outweigh anything that they've done well...and as we also well know, they usually have to screw something up monumentally first before the resulting outcry and criticisms makes them realize that they need to fix yet another mess of their own making.  And Jeffy has to be in the Top 5 of Least Likable People in MLB.  He's a living breathing buzzkill.  

The new owner(s) are going to get the ultimate red carpet treatment, that's for damned sure.  We'll love them off the bat simply because they'll be the Anyone-But-The-Wilpons.  And I doubt that anyone willing to buy the Mets won't come with reasonably deep pockets...maybe not Cohen-deep, but they'll have money to put into the team.    

I just pray whoever does buy us has a shred of emotional maturity, and understands the value of representing oneself as a classy, PR conscious first rate franchise. I'm already dreading what lolmets twitter or Instagram nonsense that's going to have us ducking for cover this year...but it's definitely coming. 

• Angry 1

Jesus...so basically it sounds to me like he must've binged for a while in the offseason, then lost that weight.  There was no WAY he was pitching at 270 lbs last year.  He didn't look anywhere near that heavy.  Colon looked every bit of HIS weight.  

I know I've brought this up before, but I can't believe this is still somehow a thing.  Can the Mets please put an end to the "Tebow's Endless Fantasy Camp" dream already?  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/entering-another-spring-training-with-mets-tim-tebow-wont-give-up-on-baseball-dream/ar-BBZTvU8?ocid=spartanntp

In three full minor-league seasons, Tebow owns a career batting line of .223/.299/.338 with 18 home runs and 327 strikeouts in 287 games. 

Tim, you NEVER should've been given this much time...in all fairness, when it was clearly and blatantly obvious that you were sorely overmatched in AAA, this thing should've ended last season.  I don't know how you could possibly feel like you haven't done all that you could to this point, and to be fair, you really haven't earned ANY of your promotions...none of your bodies of work in A, A+, or AA ever screamed "OK, he's ready for the next level"...though you had a good (if fortuitous) stretch in AA that you can look back on and say "Well, I did hold my own again a number of legit MLB-hopefuls there for a while."  

But please, just GO.  Don't hit well under .200 AGAIN in AAA and continually tell us how you're not giving up on the game.  The game has given up on YOU.  You may be in AAA, but you might as well be a million miles away from the major leagues.  It's not going to happen, and it shouldn't.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know I've brought this up before, but I can't believe this is still somehow a thing.  Can the Mets please put an end to the "Tebow's Endless Fantasy Camp" dream already?  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/entering-another-spring-training-with-mets-tim-tebow-wont-give-up-on-baseball-dream/ar-BBZTvU8?ocid=spartanntp

In three full minor-league seasons, Tebow owns a career batting line of .223/.299/.338 with 18 home runs and 327 strikeouts in 287 games. 

Tim, you NEVER should've been given this much time...in all fairness, when it was clearly and blatantly obvious that you were sorely overmatched in AAA, this thing should've ended last season.  I don't know how you could possibly feel like you haven't done all that you could to this point, and to be fair, you really haven't earned ANY of your promotions...none of your bodies of work in A, A+, or AA ever screamed "OK, he's ready for the next level"...though you had a good (if fortuitous) stretch in AA that you can look back on and say "Well, I did hold my own again a number of legit MLB-hopefuls there for a while."  

But please, just GO.  Don't hit well under .200 AGAIN in AAA and continually tell us how you're not giving up on the game.  The game has given up on YOU.  You may be in AAA, but you might as well be a million miles away from the major leagues.  It's not going to happen, and it shouldn't.  

He's just a Wilpons pet...who knows maybe just his presence down there is an attendance boost? He still does have his loyal supporters. But from his own personal standpoint he just got married...I can see this (at 31 or 32, however old he is) being his last shot before he pursues broadcasting or something else full time

After what's happened the last few days I think we have to admit the Mets probably made the only choice they had in the end by offing Beltran, man this Astros nonsense (and their arrogant, ineffective presser in response) is the story that just won't die and Beltran would have really been a symbol for ire had he remained - perhaps even in his own dugout with the way other MLB players are just ripping the hell out of Houston starting with Cody Bellinger :hail:

Man, imagine if the Astros HAD won the WS last year, they'd really have had to get to the bottom of buzzergate.  Funny how they keep throwing out all these different excuses for Altuve's infamous 'don't take off my jersey' request, but none of them explain why he had to go to the dugout and change out of his uniform before an on-field interview. 

And MLB trying to cover up anything beyond what Fiers directly implicated and sweep it under the rug, not fighting the union, etc is just going to have the opposite effect with all the blowback the players are getting BECAUSE they weren't punished and apparently couldn't bothered to show any contrition for their own former manager and GM who got fired because of it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah gotta be fair...if Mets hadn't canned Beltran back then, they would've had to do it by now (as more came about how involved he really was)...and I'm sure there would have been a whole lotta "Well it's about time!" from the press, once he was finally let go.  The one thing people can get on the Mets for re:  Beltran is their "Don't ask, don't tell" approach, when they were interviewing him for the job. 

And yeah, covering up the other nonsense (like the buzzers) isn't really doing MLB much good.  Also, it's clear how much hostility and anger there is from the other players (and even former players) towards the Astros.  It seems to be getting stronger.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 5:58 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL I mean we knew they weren't going to bother to go into the deep end of the FA pool but not making an offer...I can't wait till the Wilponzis and their agent GM are gone.

Re:  Wheeler, as much as I despise both the Wilpons and BVW, I'm not that surprised that they never made Wheeler an offer mostly because it's pretty obvious that they decided that they simply didn't want him back (especially when they sensed that the market was going to blow up for him).  That's why Stroman was brought in.

And as annoying cheap as the Wilpons often have been in recent years, it looks like they and BVW read the market correctly, in that Wheeler was going to get a contract that doesn't really seem in line with how he's pitched for his career...he's obviously had some good runs the past couple of seasons, but he's still never found real consistency...the guy's ERA for the season was 4.52 in late August. 

But it's fair to wonder if BVW would've been better off dealing Wheeler for prospects, instead of going all-in last season (especially since he gives away prospects like they're almost nothing).  Not that last year wasn't fun and the Mets somehow did manage to make themselves relevant despite having a borderline retard for a manager...but when you're clearly not into spending, gotta think about replenishing prospects more than some other teams would.

I too am shocked at how this Astros scandal continues to fester and actually...gain strength at times with the litany of players that continue to make very strong statements on things. I thought it we hung on to Beltran that by today, mid Feb...this would have mostly blown over but its pretty clear that it wouldn't have, and the Mets would've been in the eye of the storm with Beltran at the helm. As it stands it has mostly blown over for us as the Astros continue to get hammered. I just now wonder why hire a guy that had ANY involvement in this (unless of course he lied about his involvement)

And Manfred calling the World Series Trophy a "piece of metal" ugh that's bad. And that will linger with him a long time and be brought up whenever he hands that trophy out.

For the first time I'm starting to think that Rob Manfred himself may end up being a casualty himself in this whole debacle. Maybe not right away but I don't think the owners are very happy with what's going on. All of spring training for all of baseball now sits under the Astros black cloud. They have got to get people focusing back on baseball.

And I'm absolutely certain that juiced balls will be back this regular season (they stopped using them in the postseason) you can forget about those balls being carried over into this year. The balls will be juiced again and they'll hope some HR record chase will take attention away from all that's going on

LOL you may well be right about that last paragraph re: the return of the juiced balls

And yeah it’s pretty hard to make Roger Goodell look competent but Manfred FUBARed this six ways to Tuesday, trying to sweep it under the rug and minimize the damage, it’s only had the opposite effect and increased resentment. Man you didn’t even see this kind of blowback from other players about the Pats. I guess this kind of stuff really isn’t all that common after all in baseball.

Funny thing about the scrap metal comment is at best the WS trophy is third out of the four major sports in prestige behind the Stanley Cup and Lombardi Trophy but to say that...he doesn’t even come off as an actual fan of baseball given stuff like that and all the wild changes they want to make with the playoffs.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Justin Turner absolutely DESTROYED Manfred for that "piece of metal" comment:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=justin+turner&form=EDGTCT&qs=PF&cvid=4c5e5f46442944489370b9f4184dde4c&refig=e5547ee5eeea435fd86554164e84c84f&cc=US&setlang=en-US&plvar=0

"I don't know if the commissioner has ever won anything in his life," Turner said in front of his locker Monday. "Maybe he hasn't. But the reason every guy's in this room, the reason every guy is working out all offseason, and showing up to camp early and putting in all the time and effort is specifically for that trophy, which, by the way, is called the Commissioner's Trophy.

"So for him to devalue it the way he did yesterday just tells me how out of touch he is with the players in this game. At this point the only thing devaluing that trophy is that it says 'Commissioner' on it."

You can't help but wonder about Manfred's future as the commissioner of MLB...he does indeed sound way too out-of-touch (almost seems like he was channeling his inner Wilpon with some of his takes)...but in the NFL, you had a DC wearing a Goodell clown shirt, and it sure seems like a hell of a lot of people think he's a total buffoon.  So who knows.  

Yoenis apparently has decided that he's not talking to the media, about anything.  You just know this guy absolutely HATES having to be here to play out the final year of his contract...he wants to be fvcking around on his ranch and playing with his toys.  What truly sucks about this is that this guy, in his current state of mind, has big-time locker room cancer written all over him...last thing the Mets need is a brooding douchebag who's probably acting like he's incarcerated, having to play a game he clearly doesn't enjoy.  Hopefully his polar opposite (Alonso, who couldn't seem more like a "Happier to be here" guy than he already is) is the one who can fully negate Cespedes' toxic presence.  

• Like 1

These guys really are just getting more and more pissed about the Astros...hard to think there aren't going to some beanballs here and there...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/video-nick-markakis-calls-for-astros-players-to-catch-a-beating-for-sign-stealing-scandal/ar-BB107KJW?ocid=spartanntp

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Manfred needs to go. He makes Goodell look like David Stern.

Yeah suffice to say whoever it is that can get baseball back some lost credibility, it sure doesn't seem to be Manfred.

• Like 1

I think Manfreds days are numbered. Though I don't quite see it happening this season. It'll be done quietly sometime in late 2020. It won't be an outright firing it will be some resignation for some lame excuse they invent and they'll make sure he saves face (perhaps even staying in baseball in some capacity) I would bet anything the owners are already quietly looking at potential candidates...maybe somebody a bit younger and more in step with todays players. Somebody hipper in his mid 40's. 

I truly am shocked just how smoldering this story is. And continues to be. This kind of lack of respect between a commissioner and the players is toxic. Even with Bettman in the NHL (other than some comments Chelios made) I never sensed it like this.

Of course he could perhaps weather this storm. I just have no feel as to how many of the owners truly have his back. 

Can you imagine Bettman calling the Cup a piece of metal? He would need police protection every time he steps foot in Canada.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

Truth be told we were saying some of the same things about Goodell a few years ago.  Whether Manfred survives long-term or not will come down to what it always comes down to - money and how much of it Manfred makes the owners with these dopey changes like expanding the playoffs by four teams and picking your opponent.  That's why Roger was able to ride out being the most unpopular human being on earth for both players and fans, he makes the NFL a sh!t ton of money and that's all owners care about in the end.  Same with Bettman for that matter, he's the lightning rod that locks out the game every 7-10 years, is booed in almost every rink in North America when presenting the Cup but he increases the coffers every year, so voila pretty much lifetime job security.

At this point they may be forced to do something else drastic, like vacate the Astros' title to quiet the hounds though.  This is just going to keep festering, especially if you're going to preemptively protect them from beanbrawl wars as if they're Chase Utley in NY.

Edited by NJDevs4978

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-was-told-about-the-astros-system-years-ago-and-did-nothing/ar-BB10f33Q?ocid=spartanntp

Hear what you're saying Has and you're probably right (as long as the owners are making their money, Manfred stays).  But yeah, this thing is clearly going to keep festering...no one is letting it go.  And Manfred just looks worse and worse.  Based on the link above, it really sounds like MLB wasn't going to do anything and would've looked the other way, until Fiers (and the Athletic article) pretty much forced them to take action.  

The one criticism that does seem unfair at the moment is all the screaming about the lack of action being taken against the players.  They were granted immunity.  Regardless of how people feel about Manfred, how could he say "OK, fvck that...immunity revoked, after you all gave me the info I needed!"

Sure, they could vacate the WS Title I guess, but the fact that it's seen as SO tainted now, it's not like it has any luster left for those players.  It's about as vacated as it can get, in the eyes of just about everyone who follows the game.