2020 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

It is must see TV indeed...and believe me they want to stick a mic in front of Lenny Dykstra and let him go off Tiger King style. The 1986 Mets...the debauchery and insane stories, it's really taken on a life of its own in the social media world. In the mid and late 90s the guys who were on that team would discuss those days with a sort of wink and a smile...those stories weren't really revealed. But today we're really starting to see just how nuts that club was. Everything is now out in the open

• Like 2

One thing about Jake...he seems to have a way of bouncing right back from these potential "Worst Case Scenarios".  He's made 95 starts the past three seasons, and gone over 200 IP each time, despite some scares.  So I'm hopeful for now.  

11 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So apparently Rojas is insisting Cano has to be the #3 hitter.  I don't see this ending well.

Oh sweet Jesus...you almost wonder if this is coming from above, in yet another Jeffy/BVW/puppet manager "collaborative".  

21 minutes ago, '7' said:

Stroman with calf tightness, will miss his first start

LOL man do baseball players just seem soft...

I know Zack got an absurd amount of money from the Phils, but for 2020 I'd rather have him than Stroman.  Some of their numbers are remarkably similar (ERAs and FIPs are very close, as well as HR allowed per 9), but Stroman just doesn't miss enough bats...Zack's better at that.  Stroman also seems to talk the talk better than he ever walks the walk.  

Another season over before it ever really began.  Can’t wait to see Corey Oswalt out there.  How long before BVW and Jeffy bring back Chris Flexen for “depth”?

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

LOL man do baseball players just seem soft...

I know Zack got an absurd amount of money from the Phils, but for 2020 I'd rather have him than Stroman.  Some of their numbers are remarkably similar (ERAs and FIPs are very close, as well as HR allowed per 9), but Stroman just doesn't miss enough bats...Zack's better at that.  Stroman also seems to talk the talk better than he ever walks the walk.  

Well a normal NY franchise would have no problem overpaying money to one guy (Wheeler) in lieu of overpaying prospects to get a one-year replacement...of course we're stuck with Jeffy and Brodieball for another few months at least.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And Juan Friggin’ Lagares is brought back, on a minor league deal.  Because in the land of endless chances, apparently the Mets are just unable to move on from certain guys.  

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And Juan Friggin’ Lagares is brought back, on a minor league deal.  Because in the land of endless chances, apparently the Mets are just unable to move on from certain guys.  

Even beyond that, the Mets have enough Lagares-like guys anyway.  Jake Marisnick and Ryan Cordell for starters.  If any of these guys are playing major games as opposed to just sticking Nimmo or Conforto in CF than we really are in trouble.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Mets have some bats for sure.  But not much defense and plenty of question marks on the pitching staff.  

Aaaaaaaand we’re underway, cardboard cutouts and all...and pumped-in background noise.  The noise actually does help things feel more normal.  But man are those cutouts just...weird.  

Gotta admit, the crowd noise is really very well done.  Making a world of difference...some thought clearly went into this.  The overall feel isn’t nearly as eerie as I was expecting it to be.  

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Aaaaaaaand we’re underway, cardboard cutouts and all...and pumped-in background noise.  The noise actually does help things feel more normal.  But man are those cutouts just...weird.  

I actually find it hilarious Chipper Jones is one of the cutouts.  But yeah I actually don't mind the FOX experiment where they're going to computer generate the crowd for TV as opposed to the cardboard cutouts.

• Like 1

Cano picking up right where he left off lol

Remember the days where we all pretty much had Rafael Montero ranked ahead of deGrom, as far as the future went?  Hard to believe now.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

LOL it is amazing.  Funny thing is, Montero might be Oliver Perez-ish and reinvent himself as a reliever, he might even be a key setup guy for Texas, imagine that?

Speaking of ex-Mets, Matt Harvey gets at least one more chance with the Royals.  Oh how things come full circle since the dividing line of his career was the ninth inning of Game 5.

45 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL it is amazing.  Funny thing is, Montero might be Oliver Perez-ish and reinvent himself as a reliever, he might even be a key setup guy for Texas, imagine that?

Speaking of ex-Mets, Matt Harvey gets at least one more chance with the Royals.  Oh how things come full circle since the dividing line of his career was the ninth inning of Game 5.

Yeah Montero as a Ranger put up the numbers we thought he could last season...especially with the low walks.  Small sample though.

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

YOYO!  And after I was just starting to think hoo boy, this could be a long re-entry period given how bad his exhibition/first two AB's were.

Imagine if that guy actually enjoyed the game?  The talent is there.  Unfortunately the heart and desire aren’t...though I guess when it’s time for a new deal, you do see some degree of desire.

On another note, really hard to imagine that Harvey will ever get it going again.  Just feels like he’s finished.

Eight great shutout innings from our three best pitchers last season...of course we all know what's behind the next door coming in for the ninth.  And facing Albies, Freeman and Ozuna to boot.

Pretty interesting Rojas put in the rookie Gimenez for defense over Cano in the 8th and of course he had to make a nice change of direction play on a hit-and-run to get a putout.

Edited by NJDevs4978