2020 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Ump completely fvcks deGrom and calls an obvious strike a ball (would’ve been a K), which leads to a couple of runs scored.  I’m all for balls and strikes being dictated to umps from an outside source...they screw up too many easy calls.

Guess it’s harder without the PEDs, right Robinson?  God this guy sucks...fvcking rally killer.

Yeah defense NEVER seems to be a priority for the Mets.  You pretty much know it going in...though they did have that one pretty sick infield back in the day (Olerud, Alfonso, Ordonez, and Ventura).

Damn luck’s on Pete’s side tonight lol.

Really hope Conforto doesn’t ground into a DP or strike out (I can totally see him doing either).

Yep, of course he strikes out.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Wow, Davis with the infield hit.  Tying run at third.

Well at least Cespedes can drive himself in.  

And suffice it to say that Cano’s not the guy you want at the plate with the game on the line.  

oh well

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Of course Cano makes the last out lol

I am so done with him.  

And when will some of these fvcking guys learn to put the damned bat on the ball when the moment calls for it?!  Cespedes already has 10 K to his name, Alonso 8, and Conforto 7 (Cano somehow only has two, but his bat has no juice left, just like his body).  Alonso I'm willing to give a pass to, because I think he'll do his thing and that will be enough to make up for the whiffs.  No benefit of the doubt for Cespedes and Conforto.  Does Conforto EVER come up with a knock in a big spot?  He feels like yet another guy who will somehow have 25-30 HR and 85-90 RBI and have some solid numbers by season's end, but it won't feel like he played as well as the numbers would otherwise suggest...because there will be so many moments where he'll strike out when you really need him to come through.  One of those guys who doesn't scare me at all when he comes up.  

EDIT:  On the Conforto front, maybe I should simply just accept him for what he is...a guy with some ability who's flawed and falls a bit short of being a legit star.  As crazy as he can make me sometimes, he's settled into being a guy who's pretty good (sabes guys would probably argue he's better than "pretty good", especially since they don't have an issue with guys who strike out a lot):

Conforto's last three seasons:  413 GP (including 304 the past couple, so not like he's been missing a lot of games), 1726 PA, 1465 AB, 240 R, 377 H, 74 2B, 3 3B, 88 HR, 242 RBI, 225 BB, 421 K, .257/.363/.492 slash, .855 OPS, 131 OPS+

I know he's going to frustrate the hell outta me sometimes (especially when he goes into one of his Pat Burrell invisibility funks), but those numbers really aren't bad.  He's averaged 35 HR and 95 RBI per 162 GP for this sample...and he does get on base. 

Another K for Konforto.  Goddamn...

Looks like the real Steve Matz is back to form too.

Yea really needed Matz to man up in this one with the offense completely DOA and he just didn't do the job. Granted it was two home runs to Vazquez but he didn't give us any kind of length either. And one of those home runs was an annoying juiced ball bullsh!t shot to left. Things seemed to be going well taking two in Boston and now it looks like 3-4 is a certainty. 

Konforto AGAIN.  I feel like I’m watching Wright in the later years of his career.  fvcking INFURIATING.  

Joe Benigno totally called this one...said watch the Mets lose deGrom’s and Matz’s games against the Sox at home after beating them up in Boston.  Same old Mets.  

It's ridiculous, the Red Sox are starting Eovaldi and a bunch of guys off the scrap heap who might not even be in AAA if this was a normal season.

And now Diaz coming in to fan the flames, oh joy

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Diaz is actually outsucking Cano now, good lord.

Seattle really took Mr. Self-Impressed to the cleaners with that deal.  I understand wanting to move Bruce and Swarzak...but godDAMN did that deal just completely blow up.  But that’s what happens when you hire a used car salesman to be a GM.

And the more this jackass Manfred has to make baseball into a clown show the less I actually care about whether this season finishes or not.  Now we're going to seven-inning doubleheaders because of the two teams that can't play any games this week.  What's next, five-inning tripleheaders?

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seattle really took Mr. Self-Impressed to the cleaners with that deal.  I understand wanting to move Bruce and Swarzak...but godDAMN did that deal just completely blow up.  But that’s what happens when you hire a used car salesman to be a GM.

Has there actually been a bigger dissapointment as a Met since Roberto Alomar?  And Alomar you could at least excuse somewhat since he basically just fell off a cliff at the end of his career.  This clown was supposed to be the best closer in baseball in his prime, he comes here and he's Mel Rojas with more hype.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

You ain’t kidding Has.  Right up there with Alomar, Bay, and Burnitz...I’m stunned at how awful Diaz as been.  

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And the more this jackass Manfred has to make baseball into a clown show the less I actually care about whether this season finishes or not.  Now we're going to seven-inning doubleheaders because of the two teams that can't play any games this week.  What's next, five-inning tripleheaders?

It’s time to approach this season as nothing more than an optional distraction...as in if you want some sports fix, go ahead, but yeah, don’t take whatever happens in 2020 too seriously.  They might as well just do an old-fashioned barnstorming tour at this point.

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s time to approach this season as nothing more than an optional distraction...as in if you want some sports fix, go ahead, but yeah, don’t take whatever happens in 2020 too seriously.  They might as well just do an old-fashioned barnstorming tour at this point.

I might try to get into the NBA and NHL more than I would in a normal Spring when the Devils are nowhere to be found since their sports are actually doing a damn bubble and look like they'll get to finish, but considering I have no real NBA team (a casual Net fan at best, and god did COVID and the break destroy THEM) and the Devils are one of the seven teams that didn't make the qualifiers, haven't played in four months and probably won't play for another several it's hard to get into hockey in general.

Might check out the NHL.

Saw a funny tweet about the Mets...basically stated that they’re like that ex-girlfriend that you miss after a while...only almost as soon as you get back together, you’re quickly reminded how much she got on your nerves and why you dumped her in the first place.  Oh the fvcking Mets...

• Haha 1

If now we’re going to shut down with one positive test and no bubble just end this charade of a season 

Update: Now according to Heyman the Cardinals have had multiple positive tests. In my best Ken Daneyko voice...oh boy

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm pretty much in the MD2020 mindset now, as far as MLB goes...just end this "season".  They tried, I understand why, and sure, it would be great for everyday joes to have a diversion...but this seems like much more trouble than it's worth at the moment.  

I've told my daughter this more and more lately...keep your fingers crossed and hope for better things sometime in 2021.  2020 is a lost year, and the "new" normal that we're all growing weary of is not going away anytime real soon.  It's going to take additional patience on our parts, when it comes to wanting our games back.