2020 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

I know Tom had some serious dementia issues near the end...basically retreated from public life.  Hell of a life...RIP Tom Terrific.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Probably fitting to just put his passing in with the rest of the 2020 nonsense.  Hopefully he didn't have to suffer too long, it's only been a year or two since he had to retire from public life.

Been reading that this all started with an infection of Lyme Disease back in 1991...apparently he started having memory issues due to a reoccurrence of that illness a few years back, and was told that not only was any current memory damage permanent, but that it would only get worse.  And apparently Covid-19 wound up playing a role in Tom's passing (though I always wonder about cases like this...a co-worker lost his sister (she was in her 80s) not so long ago, and he said that they listed her cause of death as Covid-19, which he said was absurd, given that she had many other health issues and wasn't going to survive much longer).   

Starting Gsellman is a forfeit. He's absolutely hopeless. He's a back of the pen long man for when it's 3am and the Mets are in 13 innings with the Padres out west. Then you throw Gsellman out there. His stuff isn't bad. But he's never really been able to harness it. Had a promising first 40 innings as a rook. Since then he's been mostly bad

51 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Boy did Alonso need that, the one year wonder carping was starting to get louder and louder.

Yeah it’s funny, feels like Dom Smith has stolen the year that Alonso was supposed to have.

50 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:
You could tell just from the call reaction how much the Seaver stuff has been hitting a guy like Howie (who both grew up with him as an idol and then got to know Seaver later in life) the last couple days.

It's interesting...I remember hearing about some people found Seaver a bit pompous and condescending when they'd talk about him back in the 80s and 90s (occasionally he came across as such as a Yankee broadcaster), but from the stories I'm hearing now, he sounds like he was actually a genuinely good guy, and a fine teammate...he clearly meant a lot to so many.  Ron Darling had nothing but great things to say about him (he was called up at the end of the 1983 season...Seaver was completing his one-year return to the Mets)...said Seaver treated him incredibly well.  

Rosario has effectively been benched for Gimenez.  Curious to see if Gimenez can hit enough to keep the job, but Rosario’s total lack of offense has set the bar quite low in that regard.

Hard to believe that for all of his struggles this year, Alonso is only six RBI behind Dom Smith.  Been kind of a weird year for Pete...the HR and RBI totals are a lot better than they “feel”.

And imagine how much we’d all be losing our sh!t if Smith had been dealt and was this hot for someone else.  With the DH, it really feels like both Alonso and Smith can play here and be successful.  

Ramos has been sitting a lot of games too, and that's with the other catching options being Chirinos and Ali Sanchez.  I'd have to assume when Nido gets back he'll get a chance to run with the catcher job.

The mediocrity of the rest of the NL has kept the Mets around, but really it was only going to take getting to .500 to make the playoffs in an eight-team format.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I know Ramos can hit, but he is so not a good defensive catcher.  There’s enough other bats that Ramos doesn’t have to be in the lineup that much.

Seen some chatter about Cohen and the Mets just about done completing the sale...then it’s on to the owners for approval.

Oh, and nice to see deGrom get some fvcking run support for a change.  

And still feels like the Mets don’t have enough pitching to get this done...though if a stretched-out Lugo can get the job done, and if Peterson can be solid, they’ve got a shot.  Like you said, a little over .500 probably gets them in.

Let me see the Mets not get shut down for 7-8 innings by Wheeler.  That would be a hell of a start.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Chipping away...feels like one of those games where the Mets ultimately come up short though.  

DAMN McNEIL!  Holy sh!t!

Now can the Mets’ pen hold on to the lead?

Small sample but Gimenez is making Rosario look obsolete around here in a hurry.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Maybe they really did need Todd Frazier back to find their resilience 🤔

It was a puzzling reunion. I get the feeling though he was a good positive presence in the locker room as well (helps with a young...possibly totally clueless manager like Rojas who is showing some  Callaway-esque tendencies.) At the plate he's still does enough to get by

If it's a potentially big turning point type game...you can guarantee the Mets bullpen will gag it up completely. Sure Diaz and Familia will get you some outs when the Mets are in a 4-5 game losing streak (which usually starts with them blowing big leads in heartbreaking fashion) but when the Mets build back up again, get back on track and a big game approaches once more...they will wilt and die

Yep...in the end you just knew they weren’t going to take it home.  Same ol Mets.

JLo apparently not giving up on owning the Mets.  Always funny when certain individuals who are way too used to getting whatever they want finally get told “No”.  They literally cannot handle it at all.

Man am I looking for to not having to watch the Mets shop in the discount racks any more.  No more Wacha hope it works out crap.  So sick of that sh!t.

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

And naturally Wacha craps the bed immediately. Baltimore knocking him all over the yard.  

Yeah that guy is just a lost cause.  Of course if Brodie hadn’t given away so many young arms, there might be someone in the system worth giving a look.