2020 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

I really don't know where I'd want Lugo for 2021...but to me he's best suited and more effective as that awesome bullpen guy than that good 4th starter

With Cohen...go out and spend the $ and get someone's #3 starter and make him our 4th. Just gotta spend the $ to bolster this rotation. I don't have any faith in Diaz to close. Would rather maybe Diaz settle into a setup role for Lugo to close...though I know Lugo wants to start but he's 30. And he doesn't have that much experience starting throughout his entire career

How would Lugos arm, 31 by opening day next year, hold up to a full year of MLB starting? He's never thrown more than 130 innings at any level

Edited by '7'

15 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL hearing Gary, Keith and Ron trip over themselves trying to figure out how many games back the Mets are just shows how convoluted this format is.

It's going to be hard to truly call someone a World Series Champion in a year they couldn't even get to 81 regular season games. They should've gone ahead and canceled this disaster of a season

14 minutes ago, '7' said:

It's going to be hard to truly call someone a World Series Champion in a year they couldn't even get to 81 regular season games. They should've gone ahead and canceled this disaster of a season

I think this was more about having some kind of diversion for everyday people...I think many people needed this, just something to talk about, something to take their minds off the sh!tshow that has been 2020, even if the season had to be severely truncated to make MLB work for now.  And in general, I think MLB did a pretty good job, even with some of the outbreaks.  Once basketball, hockey, and baseball are done, it's going be very quiet.  

Kind of (sadly) funny though that even with the playoff bar being set so low, the Mets STILL couldn't fvcking find a way to get in...nope, probably won't even finish with a .500 record.  BVW and Rojas have to be gone...BVW is a used-car salesman agent in GM's clothing, and Rojas wasn't even the Mets' first choice.  The "new" Mets can't try to sell me on either one of those guys sticking around.  Is there a single offseason move that didn't completely blow up for BVW?  Yeah yeah, he didn't get much in the way of good luck (especially with Syndergaard), but just the way he treated prospects as completely disposable is enough for him to be shown the door, AFAIC. 

And I'll admit...as Met-sy and Wilpon-y as this season was, it was nice to have SOMETHING to BS about.  I'm all Covided and Socially Distanced and New Normaled out.  

Re:  Lugo and Diaz, yeah, we're pretty much on the same page...I think Lugo will be much closer to ordinary as a starting pitcher.  Problem with Diaz is that I can see him (at his best) becoming another Benitez...lights out most of the time, but just waiting to blow up at the worst possible times.  If the Mets ever make the playoffs with him as their closer, I'll be terrified, even if he saves 50+ in the regular season.  Some guys just wilt in the brightest of spotlights, not matter how dominating they can look.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think this was more about having some kind of diversion for everyday people...I think many people needed this, just something to talk about, something to take their minds off the sh!tshow that has been 2020, even if the season had to be severely truncated to make MLB work for now.  And in general, I think MLB did a pretty good job, even with some of the outbreaks.  Once basketball, hockey, and baseball are done, it's going be very quiet. 

Especially in NY where football's a nuclear wasteland lol. 

But yeah for July-the early part of September baseball for all its issues did fill a bit of a void entertainment-wise.  Especially without a lot of other live entertainment available.

9 hours ago, '7' said:

How would Lugos arm, 31 by opening day next year, hold up to a full year of MLB starting? He's never thrown more than 130 innings at any level

It's a valid concern but he's probably earned the opportunity.  Not with a terribly long leash mind you, he shouldn't be counted on as a top three starter.  If he becomes that it's a bonus.

Guess we'll find out once and for all who the "real" Alderson is, and if having a lot more to spend will make him a more imposing presence.  We'll know soon enough how much the Wilpons truly kneecapped him and compromised his ability to make moves.   

Not gonna lie, I would've rather seen someone without previous Met ties get this gig.  The Sandy era (though they did reach the World Series in 2015) isn't exactly chock full of wonderful memories.  He must truly love the organization to want to come back.  

Nice final start by Peterson...not to mention that this guy pretty much came out of nowhere to begin his major league career on a solid note.  Barring injury or a rotten spring, looks like he should be starting next year in the rotation.

Looks like three spots are pretty well spoken for (deGrom, Lugo, and Peterson), as far as the 2021 season goes...we’ll see what happens with Syndergaard.  Matz has gotta go.  Curious to see if Cohen/Alderson/the new GM make a run at Bauer, though it’s not like Bauer has been as good throughout his career as he has in this kooky lil’ 60-game season...he came into 2020 with a career 4.04 ERA.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

20 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guess we'll find out once and for all who the "real" Alderson is, and if having a lot more to spend will make him a more imposing presence.  We'll know soon enough how much the Wilpons truly kneecapped him and compromised his ability to make moves.   

Not gonna lie, I would've rather seen someone without previous Met ties get this gig.  The Sandy era (though they did reach the World Series in 2015) isn't exactly chock full of wonderful memories.  He must truly love the organization to want to come back.  

Hiring Sandy's worth it for this headline alone lol

One last f-you to Jeffy out the door, replacing him with a guy he made miserable and fired.

• Haha 1

Yeah I love the fact that even though Jeffy is STILL walking away with a hell of a lot of money (there's obviously a win there on some level), nothing else has involving this sale has been on his terms...no continued involvement in personnel decisions, forced to sell the team to the one guy he absolutely not did want to sell to (and was basically told by the other owners to stay out of the negotiations and not to fvck anything up), and will forever be remembered as a complete buffoon and a generally lousy guy.  

Something else that I was thinking about...I'm sure that Cohen and Sandy share equal contempt for Jeffy.  I've gotta think that Sandy made his concerns known to Cohen about potentially getting into another bad situation as a Met exec, at which point Cohen made it very clear that The Steve Cohen Era will 100% NOT be the Wilpons Part Deux.  I don't think Sandy takes the job otherwise.  

So for better or worse, this is definitely going to be Sandy's show, with little to no inference or unwelcome outside meddling.  

Cohen was also quoted about building things the right way, with Sandy on board...sure sounds like a dig directed towards BVW and Jeffy.   

Curious to see if BVW ever gets another front office job; if anything, I think he has to be willing to serve as an asst GM or even in a lower role, if he ever wants to build back up to another MLB GM gig.  I don't think there's another "Dysfunctional Ownership, Perfect Storm" scenario (that really could only happen here, under the Wilpons) that sees him ever get a second crack as a major-league GM right away.  

LOL of course it couldn't end any other way but with the Mets losing a doubleheader, although I half thought they'd stretch it out till tomorrow just to choke then.

At least we only have one more game left with the Wilpons as owners.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah, if anything it’s rather fitting that the friggin Wilpon era is ending with the wimpiest of whimpers.  Even deGrom couldn’t take his final start home.

I really hope that Cohen doesn’t get rejected by the rest of the owners.  Much as I’m not expecting that to happen, man would it be so Met-like for the fans to get that kind of a direct kick to the balls.  Just the idea that the Wilpons could somehow be here for another offseason...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

On 9/17/2020 at 9:41 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Amazing that the Phils are still a .500 team with a pen like that.  

Nice comeback win, but definitely too little too late.  If they can actually get to 27-27 or 28-28 and it looks like .500ish might be good enough to squeak in, wake me up.  But I'm guessing the Mets finish with 27 wins or so on the "season".

Rest of the season went about as I expected it to, though I’m sure that I wasn’t alone on that front...BVW’s and Jeffy’s scrap-heap signings (particularly Porcello and Wacha) simply gave this team no chance to put together any real winning streaks. Any fan putting some time into this season knew this team wasn’t finishing with a .500 record.

One more note re:  Sandy...man I hope that he’s not going to start bringing in the Sandy Special type of hitters again (Jay Bruce, Todd Frazier, etc).  I know he didn’t exactly have lots of money to spend, but he did make some pretty bad moves while he was here...that can’t be glossed over.  

Just keep Lugo in the bullpen.  He’s simply better there.

Hopefully this is it for Matz.  

Suffice it to say that Alonso fattened up big-time in garbage time.  Hard to believe he has 16 dingers.

Hope when BVW leaves the building, he’s carrying a box full of his desk contents...

If this means sweeping changes in the front office, I’ll live with it.  Stomaching BVW patting himself on the back for going 30-30 and squeaking into the playoffs would’ve been hard to take...especially since there’s no way the Mets would’ve done much damage upon getting there.