Sign in to follow this  
NJDevs4978

2020 New York Mets season thread

Obviously no immediate positives coming out of this, but at least when Noah does come back, he won’t be trying to blow everyone away with 110 mph heat.  He’ll actually have to learn how to pitch.

Would’ve been nice to have had some arms in the system, but of course BVW couldn’t give those away fast enough.

Getting to that point where you look up some random numbers, just for the hell of it.

Here is one player's "GREAT STRETCH WITHIN A HISTORIC SEASON":

90 GP, 338 AB (392 PA) .311 BA, .398 OB%, .760 SLG%, (1.158 OPS), 105 H, 13 2B, 2 3B, 45 HR, 101 RBI, 47 BB, 30 K

And even crazier, his BABIP was just .226 for this stretch...suggesting that he might have actually had some bad luck along the way.  Usually for such an insane run, you'd see that number in the .350-.400 range.

The player is Roger Maris, circa 1961...this is the run that he went on from 5/17 through 8/16.  Just before it began, he had put up a slash of .208/.345/.323, with 3 HR and 11 RBI through 28 games...there was even some talk of him being traded due to that slow start, despite having turned in a career-best MVP season the year before.  It really was insane how many home runs he hit to start that stretch...24 through the first 38 games, then 32 through 58, and 37 through 68.  He followed up the 37 through 68 with 1 in 16 games...but then had one last surge with 7 HR in 6 GP, to finish off that 45 in 90...at that point in his season, he had 48 HR in 112 GP.  

He would slow up after that, hitting "only" 13 HR through his remaining 43 GP...this is a 49 HR pace over 162 GP, but he was so locked in prior that suddenly that pace didn't seem that impressive, crazy as that sounds.  And of course, unlike the players of today, Maris did what he did without constantly striking out.  Great stuff. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It seems so quaint now that Maris was getting pilloried for playing eight extra games than Ruth, expansion pitching in a 18-team sport and ‘being a .260 hitter’.

I am actually tempted to start watching old games now that it seems to be the du jour thing to do for sports fans but in some fashion or another I’ve seen many of the great moments in Met history, though I was only eight in 1986 I’ve seen the three big games from that year (G6 LCS, G6/7 WS) on a collector’s set. I guess maybe a couple of the NLCS games from ‘73 or the World Series games from ‘69 would be worth watching assuming they’re even on YT the way a lot of old NFL games are.

Edited by NJDevs4978

BTW the Mets are doing the same thing the Devils have been with a 'virtual broadcast' of a video game sim on YouTube, with the entire SNY booth getting in the act.  Too bad our virtual team isn't as good as the Devils' sim team has been (listed at 2-7 so far) lolz

I have to admit I was more into listening to this faux game than the Devils ones, partly cause of GKR and partly cause the baseball sims are more realistic than the hockey sims in terms of gameplay.  Didn't listen to the whole thing but a couple innings flew by.

Edited by NJDevs4978

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It seems so quaint now that Maris was getting pilloried for playing eight extra games than Ruth, expansion pitching in a 18-team sport and ‘being a .260 hitter’.

I am actually tempted to start watching old games now that it seems to be the du jour thing to do for sports fans but in some fashion or another I’ve seen many of the great moments in Met history, though I was only eight in 1986 I’ve seen the three big games from that year (G6 LCS, G6/7 WS) on a collector’s set. I guess maybe a couple of the NLCS games from ‘73 or the World Series games from ‘69 would be worth watching assuming they’re even on YT the way a lot of old NFL games are.

That season Maris hit .269 overall...he was at .288 once that run ended, but promptly slumped down to about .270, then hovered right around there through the end of the season.

Would love to know what it was like to watch someone go on SUCH a pronounced HR tear like that.  Teammate Mickey Mantle hit 54 HR in 153 GP, but was steadier from start to finish (though he did enjoy a 58 game run where he hit 28 of his home runs).  I checked Alonso’s numbers for comparison, and same thing...his HR were relatively spread out throughout the season.  

Yeah I might start checking out some of these older games too (especially ones I’m too young to have remembered or seen, like anything from 1969 or 1973).