2020 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Oh so very true.  They can’t do ANYTHING right.  EVER.

I’m guessing that they’re salty about getting scammed out of millions by a guy who clearly didn’t want to play once he got his big money, so they decided they were going to try to make Cespedes look bad.  They weren’t smart enough to realize that most Met fans already realize the deal with Cespedes...all they’ve done is make themselves look worse than ever.  It’s unbelievable, yet because it’s the Mets, it’s COMPLETELY believable.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Cespedes indeed opting out lol...well one less gong show to worry about

To that I say:

Yoenis, a hearty thank you for 2015.

Thanks for 2016.

fvck you for everything else.  

Glad he’s gone and that the Mets can finally move on from this POS scam artist. And Yoenis won’t have to spend another minute faking being interested in baseball.  Go back to your ranch and your toys.

Kinda wish the rest of this team could just opt out of 2020 (1/6th of the season done and the Mets are already finished...good work Jeffy and BVW, you deserve each other!), but I get the feeling the league will eventually do that on its own...just can’t see this season being completed.  Shame for Yankee fans...they seem plenty well-oiled at the moment.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The sad part is I could absolutely see this being true and I could see it as PR mudslinging from Jeffy

Cespedes is likely totally in the wrong here, on every front, but the Wilpons and BVW are such fvck-ups that it’s more or less impossible to ever give them the benefit of the doubt about ANYTHING.

But I’m not one bit surprised by anything here.  I’m sure Cespedes was already pissy about his re-done deal, and as a result was even less enthusiastic about playing than he already was.  Throw in his mostly bad start and the Mets’ bad start, and the fact that his starting slowly could lead to him losing even more money, he quickly said fvck it, don’t need this, and as one final FU to the Mets (who were overall FAR better to him than he ever was to them), he bails without even telling them.  Real class act.

Honestly if you think about it there are some similarities between Cespedes and Harvey.  Both guys were THE toast of the town at one point, and both had their careers crash down after injury and off-field contreversy although at least in Harvey's case the Mets didn't have to give him the big contract.

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

...Kinda wish the rest of this team could just opt out of 2020...

Haven't they though?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Honestly if you think about it there are some similarities between Cespedes and Harvey.  Both guys were THE toast of the town at one point, and both had their careers crash down after injury and off-field contreversy although at least in Harvey's case the Mets didn't have to give him the big contract.

They were both equally annoying in different ways, but even if Harvey was the classic "fake hold me back" guy, at least he genuinely appeared to want to compete (especially when he still had his best stuff).  You don't sign a minor league deal at his age unless you've still got some fire left in you somewhere.  

Cespedes basically knew there was a big payday coming if he played to the best of his ability and tried his best to behave himself prior, and he managed to do that for a couple of years.  What sucks is the nightmare scenario that we could all see happening with him was the one that wound up coming to fruition, once he got his (mostly) guaranteed money.  And what sucks is that I'm sure he couldn't care less...he's gone from this area, gone for good, now he just gets to hang on his ranch and live off all of the money that he scammed off the Mets, having been able to fake enjoying a game just enough, that he very clearly didn't want to play...it was a means to end for him...he banked more than enough of that "free" money that he didn't need to give it the ol' college try this season, to at least say "Well, the Mets paid me a hell of a lot to not do a whole hell of a lot the past three seasons, guess the least I could do is try to battle my way into finding whatever it is that I have left, in such a shortened season, before I move on and do the stuff that I really want to."  

Don't get me wrong, I say fvck him, I couldn't be more happy that he's outta here...this turn of events really shouldn't surprise anyone, really...he has as much enthusiasm for playing baseball as he does for learning English.  And I'm sure he's not the first pro athlete who happened to be really good at something that he didn't actually love doing at all, and thought "Well I can earn a hell of a lot of money this way, so I'll suck it up for as long as I can, and be set for life when I'm done."  It just pisses me off to no end how much he fvcked over the Mets, and how willingly that he did it...fvcking slinking out because you weren't just gifted more playing time that you hadn't earned, meaning that you might not hit your precious incentives?  Leaving it up to your agent to cover for you and explain?  fvck you pal! 

It's easy to rip the Mets for how incompetent they are as a franchise, top to bottom, and the snippets I heard from BVW yesterday wouldn't inspire anyone to believe that he has any idea what he's doing...he's such a fvcking used car salesman, he really is.  But the more that I think about it, I can't really get on the Mets too much for this latest mess.  The only thing that I think that they could've done was to tell Cespedes to go screw and not bother coming back at all, but that wasn't going to happen, and I don't think many (if ANY) teams would've taken such a route.  At least with the way this went, Yoenis can't scam so much as another penny out of them.  Take the small victories where you can find them I guess.

Yet again...1...2...3....ONLY THE METS

Nimmo is also repped by CAA, like Yoenis for what it's worth.

I'm no Yo fan at this point (I agree with the thanks for 2015-16 and nothing else sentiment) but if this whole 'he skipped out on the team without telling anyone' was indeed just a Jeff-led smear campaign then that just makes him look loathsome - again.  What else is new?

Edited by NJDevs4978

ok so seriously what are the odds the team gets sold and there's a total flushing of the entire front office from the owner on down?  Anybody have an educated guess?  Seems like the ultimate  tease that's been dangling out there for a few years now with no realistic chance of it happening in the next couple of/few years.

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

ok so seriously what are the odds the team gets sold and there's a total flushing of the entire front office from the owner on down?  Anybody have an educated guess?  Seems like the ultimate  tease that's been dangling out there for a few years now with no realistic chance of it happening in the next couple of/few years.

Both will happen.  Team will get sold by year’s end.

BVW might as well be a Wilpon, as far as everyone else is concerned...he only got a GM gig in the first place because of the Wilpons.  No one else was hiring him to be a GM, no way.  And he’s been about as disastrous as one would expect, though he actually hasn’t been ALL bad...of course, the problem is he’s likely made the worst trade in franchise history.  He’s largely despised by the majority of the fanbase, for a number of reasons...no new owner would dream of keeping him around.  This is going to be a serious housecleaning, and that’s what is keeping me going, as far as the Mets are concerned.  The Wilpon Era is coming to end...and their many follies will follow them out the door.

And in other news, some of these dipsh!ts are actually driving in runs today.  About fvcking time.

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Both will happen.  Team will get sold by year’s end.

BVW might as well be a Wilpon, as far as everyone else is concerned...he only got a GM gig in the first place because of the Wilpons.  No one else was hiring him to be a GM, no way.  And he’s been about as disastrous as one would expect, though he actually hasn’t been ALL bad...of course, the problem is he’s likely made the worst trade in franchise history.  He’s largely despised by the majority of the fanbase, for a number of reasons...no new owner would dream of keeping him around.  This is going to be a serious housecleaning, and that’s what is keeping me going, as far as the Mets are concerned.  The Wilpon Era is coming to end...and their many follies will follow them out the door.

Thanks CR hopefully it happens. Sooner the better. Nothing to lose that's for gd sure.

• Like 1

Wow, just like that, looks like Soroka is done for 2020.  Achilles or ACL by the looks of it.  Damn.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wow, just like that, looks like Soroka is done for 2020.  Achilles or ACL by the looks of it.  Damn.

2020 already sucks balls even without the normal unfortunate carnage in a season.  

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL

It can't be just a coincidence. Something is just "off" with the the team when deGrom is on the hill. That the offense is so abnormally bad. I think they want to give him his deserved wins so badly that they press extremely hard

Matz coming up as puny as one would expect.  Matz is what he is:  a bottom of the rotation, 5 or 6 inning starter, who will never be known for toughness and will never come close to providing 200 IP in any given season.  He’s #2 behind deGrom by default for now, but this is not going to work out in 2020.

The only good news about this abbreviated season looking like it’s going to be brutal is that Buffoon Van Wagenen won’t be able to point to 2019 as some kind of “proof” that he’s made any difference here.  I think he really believes that he was solely responsible for that season being respectable.  

So it’s Jake, who’s a VERY clear #1, and a series of back-of-the-rotation question marks (at least Peterson has turned in a pair of solid outings).   And a bullpen that’s completely unpredictable most nights.  Impossible to win in 2020 with this mess.  

Porcello with a good start.  Guess every now and then, he’ll have a good one.  

Hopefully this is the start of something good for Porcello...but who knows Vargas and Niese would bumble their way through a few good starts here and there and still melt down and get bombed when we needed them to gut up in the middle innings of big games. I'm hoping maybe Porcello turns into a Colon type for us? 180-200 innings and never missing a start. The ERA will never be all that beautiful but at least get us into that 7th inning and lighten the bullpen load. He couldn't do that in his first two starts but finally was able to today