GDT: PANTHERS at DEVILS 7 p.m., MSG+

eaglejelly

4 hours ago, jagknife said:

I could also see Bergivin or however you spell it getting axed too if that happens.

But I completely forgot about Gallant’s French-speaking side. He’s a sure thing for them

Yeah well it WILL happen lol I can't imagine MTL making the playoffs. Not impossible as the Blue Jackets are dealing with a ton of injuries and will likely drop.

I just really want the Habs and Rangers as close to the wildspot as possible. I really don't want them to get a good prospect so the further down they are, the best

I think at this point of the coaching staff have identified that Blackwood basically needs to split the workload to keep improving and not burn out then you need to bring in a decent 1B type of guy to keep you competitive every game. 

There are some options this summer , Halak and Greiss stand out as guys who would be happy to split the load and add a good veteran presence. 

Markstrom would have been my first choice but there is no way the Canucks let him walk , he has had a good year. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The best thing about him was that he wanted a Sopranos themed mask and the dumb league wouldn't even let him do that.

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Accurate. And that he wanted a Sopranos goalie mask. 

lol ninja’d by SH

I think we all know by now I don’t give credit for things a guy “almost” did. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The best thing about him was that he wanted a Sopranos themed mask and the dumb league wouldn't even let him do that.

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Accurate. And that he wanted a Sopranos goalie mask. 

lol ninja’d by SH

Wow, really?  What was their reasoning...because it was "mob-themed"?  That's pretty damn lame. 

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m done with Domingue. Honestly his red pads are the best thing about him. 

He was here to be not-Cory and was an available "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" stopgap option...he was going to have to impress big-time to stick around beyond this year.  

Every time I see him start, I just have to remind myself that:

1) I won't have to watch him as a Devil beyond this season (I'm done with him too, and I'm pretty sure everyone else is.  But you are 100% correct, those red pads are pretty badass).  

2) The Devils are committed enough to pacing Blackwood that Domingue will get games that will have me saying "Huh?  Why now?"  And the schedule down the stretch will eventually get tough enough that it will result in Domingue getting games where it could get ugly (though as we've seen, he can sometimes surprise, as he did against the Caps and Lightning).  

3) Domingue is what he is, so getting pissed at a not good player when that player is not good is pointless.  But I can get annoyed with the coach who is seemingly incapable of taking stock of his upcoming schedule and using him in a spot that has the best potential payoff.

I really would've liked to have seen Blackwood get last night's game, Domingue get the Wings, then Mac get the Canes, BJs, and Blues...then Domingue back in against the Sharks, Blackwood vs the Kings, Domingue vs the Ducks, and Blackwood vs the Golden Knights.  Beyond that, who knows...but if I'm annoyed about anything, it's really that the upcoming schedule is favorable enough with meh opponents that Domingue could've been used in games that made a hell of a lot more sense...hell, if Blackwood is fatigued, give Domingue all three games against the Sharks, Kings, and Ducks.  Last night just felt like such a coaching loss...I find that to be more aggravating, than anything else.  If the Nas and the Devils are trying to win (the players are playing like they are, flaws and all), then might as well put them in the best position for it (even if it ultimately means very little, as far as this season goes).  

• Like 2

for a 6'-3" goalie he appears rather small in net. pucks dont find him. he has played well in spurts but overall we are seeing that he jut doesnt play well enough consistently.. I didnt like the insertion of him in that game, but Im not going to kill nas for giving him enough rope. we have the unfortunate luxury to test him... he failed.. bu bye!   carrick butcher and mueller need to go away also.. bring in some ahl fodder

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Devils are committed enough to pacing Blackwood that Domingue will get games that will have me saying "Huh?  Why now?"  And the schedule down the stretch will eventually get tough enough that it will result in Domingue getting games where it could get ugly (though as we've seen, he can sometimes surprise, as he did against the Caps and Lightning).  

Agree, BUT for the fact that we are not playoff bound and ALL of the games are meaningless. The better option is to not wear out your 22 year old potential #1 goalie in meaningless games. Granted, I would like the other goalie to be better. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Domingue is what he is, so getting pissed at a not good player when that player is not good is pointless. 

Or its just being a fan, where you don't have to be rational. But if we accept your logic, what good is it to get pissed at a not good coach when that coach is not good?

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agree, BUT for the fact that we are not playoff bound and ALL of the games are meaningless. The better option is to not wear out your 22 year old potential #1 goalie in meaningless games. Granted, I would like the other goalie to be better. 

But where is the logic in resting him when he just had 2 days off and could have played tonight and let Louie play against Detroit Thursday to maybe give him some confidence because they stink too and then Mac could have played Friday in Carolina. Then Sunday you could have started Lou again against Columbus because we can't beat them anyway lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

1)  Agree, BUT for the fact that we are not playoff bound and ALL of the games are meaningless. The better option is to not wear out your 22 year old potential #1 goalie in meaningless games. Granted, I would like the other goalie to be better. 

2)  Or its just being a fan, where you don't have to be rational. But if we accept your logic, what good is it to get pissed at a not good coach when that coach is not good?

1) I'm saying that there's enough games available for Domingue that for now at least, while the team is still interested and trying, start Mac in the games that make some sense (I broke down the immediate schedule).  But like I said, after that stretch, Domingue is going to get games that will look like awful matchups before the puck is dropped.  So you can argue that it doesn't matter much.  

2) I'm definitely NOT Ricky Rational all of the time, and you make a fair point re:  not good coach making not good decisions.  But that was one that just seemed SO obvious.  Detroit would've been SO perfect for Domingue to face.  If it's a case of Mac being gassed and needing some extra rest, then I can't kill Nas for starting Domingue last night...if there's anything to support that case, it sure seemed like Domingue was going to get all 60 minutes last night, whether he gave up 5 goals or 10.  But excepting that, I'm still mildly peeved that Mac didn't get the net last night.

• Like 2

I watched about half the game last night.  I turned it off after it was 3-1.  I saw enough to know where the game was going and glad I changed channels.

I see earlier in this thread Abbey being her usual self.  It's still mind-boggling anyone even follows that condescending idiot anymore.  She really does come across as someone who is annoyed/pissed at the fact that she has to cover the Devils.

Domingue sucks ass.  Simple as that.  Glad we don't have to see him beyond this season unless management has some sort of brain-fart this summer and gives him a 1-year deal.

I saw the video last night of the ceiling tile that fell.  I have to admit that to this day I feel like the arena, at most, only got about 85-90% completed before it opened and has not been fully finished since.  The current owners have taken steps to "finish" the arena but it still feels like they are not there yet.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I watched about half the game last night.  I turned it off after it was 3-1.  I saw enough to know where the game was going and glad I changed channels.

I see earlier in this thread Abbey being her usual self.  It's still mind-boggling anyone even follows that condescending idiot anymore.  She really does come across as someone who is annoyed/pissed at the fact that she has to cover the Devils.

Domingue sucks ass.  Simple as that.  Glad we don't have to see him beyond this season unless management has some sort of brain-fart this summer and gives him a 1-year deal.

I saw the video last night of the ceiling tile that fell.  I have to admit that to this day I feel like the arena, at most, only got about 85-90% completed before it opened and has not been fully finished since.  The current owners have taken steps to "finish" the arena but it still feels like they are not there yet.

I think 85-90% is a little generous...probably more like 80% (with corners cut to boot).  And though the general newness of the building and the excitement that came with it helped to cover up for some shortcomings...good lord, looking back on the Fire and Ice Lounges...plenty of cheap "save some money" materials used...as we know, they aged pretty poorly, and quickly at that.  And agree fully, the owners have added and colored in a lot of the previously black-and-white areas.  If people could go back in time and stroll around the Rock in 2010, they'll quickly realize how far the building has come since then.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think 85-90% is a little generous...probably more like 80% (with corners cut to boot).  And though the general newness of the building and the excitement that came with it helped to cover up for some shortcomings...good lord, looking back on the Fire and Ice Lounges...plenty of cheap "save some money" materials used...as we know, they aged pretty poorly, and quickly at that.  And agree fully, the owners have added and colored in a lot of the previously black-and-white areas.  If people could go back in time and stroll around the Rock in 2010, they'll quickly realize how far the building has come since then.  

I went to the open house they had before they played any games there. I remember thinking it was incomplete but that it was because they had to start the games in a couple of weeks. And then 5 years later it was still the same. The new owners have definitely put some work in. Hell they even finished that park out front. That thing was in the original designs in 2006 or so and didn't happen until now. 

• Like 2

Yeah it seemed like they ran out of money a few months before the opening game and cut corners to fill out the arena.  Apparently the Goal Bar was supposed to be much nicer and grander than what we eventually got but they ran out of time and money and just put together what they had quickly and cheaply.  There were also far more empty spaces on the main concourse that had zero utilization until the current owners took over.

It still boggles my mind when people still moan about the Fire and Ice Lounges being re-designed to this day.  I get the current design is probably more bland, but it has so far aged better than the old Fire and Ice Lounges ever did.  Those two looked dopey right after the first season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah it seemed like they ran out of money a few months before the opening game and cut corners to fill out the arena.  Apparently the Goal Bar was supposed to be much nicer and grander than what we eventually got but they ran out of time and money and just put together what they had quickly and cheaply.  There were also far more empty spaces on the main concourse that had zero utilization until the current owners took over.

It still boggles my mind when people still moan about the Fire and Ice Lounges being re-designed to this day.  I get the current design is probably more bland, but it has so far aged better than the old Fire and Ice Lounges ever did.  Those two looked dopey right after the first season.

Yeah even the local jerseys hung about the concourse...looking back on it, that was clearly a "How do we make this place look a little less stark and a bit more lived-in, without spending too much?" kind of measure.  Almost like when you get your first apartment, and you're just trying to find some cheap accessories to give it some warmth.

You are right about "bland", but bland/safe will definitely age better and last longer than "bold but with a lot of plastic-looking materials and a general cheesy feel".  When the current lounges get a refresh in 3-5 years, it won't surprise me if the needle falls somewhere between bold and safe.  The one issue with the current lounges is that they're SO down-the-middle blah that I don't think they really elicit any kind of reaction or opinion.  They're just there...they have a cafeteria feel to them.  I think they could kick up the lux factor a notch when the inevitable refresh comes.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah even the local jerseys hung about the concourse...looking back on it, that was clearly a "How do we make this place look a little less stark and a bit more lived-in, without spending too much?" kind of measure.  Almost like when you get your first apartment, and you're just trying to find some cheap accessories to give it some warmth.

I now have a mental image of Lou and JVB driving around at night in a van stealing mannequin torsos from department store dumpsters to put those jerseys on in the concourse just to save a few bucks. 

• Haha 4

iirc Lou had a lot to do with the new arena, so the corner cutting in terms of quality and amenities is no surprise. It's Lou, and the team was in a more precarious financial position back then. Still to us when it opened it was still an upgrade over the bland and generic Brendan Byrne...but yes the new place did not age well and upkeep was totally ignored. 

But how much of this is the same story with every other newish building that opened from 1995-2010? I've heard similar stuff said about TD Garden, the Leafs new arena, the renovated Garden. A lot of newish buildings have actually been through a renovation.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He was here to be not-Cory and was an available "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" stopgap option...he was going to have to impress big-time to stick around beyond this year.  

Every time I see him start, I just have to remind myself that:

1) I won't have to watch him as a Devil beyond this season (I'm done with him too, and I'm pretty sure everyone else is.  But you are 100% correct, those red pads are pretty badass).  

2) The Devils are committed enough to pacing Blackwood that Domingue will get games that will have me saying "Huh?  Why now?"  And the schedule down the stretch will eventually get tough enough that it will result in Domingue getting games where it could get ugly (though as we've seen, he can sometimes surprise, as he did against the Caps and Lightning).  

3) Domingue is what he is, so getting pissed at a not good player when that player is not good is pointless.  But I can get annoyed with the coach who is seemingly incapable of taking stock of his upcoming schedule and using him in a spot that has the best potential payoff.

I really would've liked to have seen Blackwood get last night's game, Domingue get the Wings, then Mac get the Canes, BJs, and Blues...then Domingue back in against the Sharks, Blackwood vs the Kings, Domingue vs the Ducks, and Blackwood vs the Golden Knights.  Beyond that, who knows...but if I'm annoyed about anything, it's really that the upcoming schedule is favorable enough with meh opponents that Domingue could've been used in games that made a hell of a lot more sense...hell, if Blackwood is fatigued, give Domingue all three games against the Sharks, Kings, and Ducks.  Last night just felt like such a coaching loss...I find that to be more aggravating, than anything else.  If the Nas and the Devils are trying to win (the players are playing like they are, flaws and all), then might as well put them in the best position for it (even if it ultimately means very little, as far as this season goes).  

That's all basically and exactly what i've been trying to say yesterday but you said it best.

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I now have a mental image of Lou and JVB driving around at night in a van stealing mannequin torsos from department store dumpsters to put those jerseys on in the concourse just to save a few bucks. 

I like that Brodeur’s rookie jersey is draped all over the floor. Who thought that was a good way to display a jersey?

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

But where is the logic in resting him when he just had 2 days off and could have played tonight and let Louie play against Detroit Thursday to maybe give him some confidence because they stink too and then Mac could have played Friday in Carolina. Then Sunday you could have started Lou again against Columbus because we can't beat them anyway lol

The logic is, it doesn’t matter. 

52 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The logic is, it doesn’t matter. 

It should matter and winning games should still matter.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You are right about "bland", but bland/safe will definitely age better and last longer than "bold but with a lot of plastic-looking materials and a general cheesy feel".  When the current lounges get a refresh in 3-5 years, it won't surprise me if the needle falls somewhere between bold and safe.  The one issue with the current lounges is that they're SO down-the-middle blah that I don't think they really elicit any kind of reaction or opinion.  They're just there...they have a cafeteria feel to them.  I think they could kick up the lux factor a notch when the inevitable refresh comes.  

I'm not saying the fire and ice bars were better cause I really don't even remember them much anymore since I was barely ever in there but I really don't care for the see through glass they put up for the new clubs. I liked when it use to look more closed off and more private instead of sitting there having people look at what you're eating through the glass. (I've only sat there 3 times since the building opened and just once a few games ago for the first time with the new setup) 

Edited by Satans Hockey

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It should matter and winning games should still matter.

I really don't care for the see through glass they put up for the new clubs. I liked when it use to look more closed off and more private instead of sitting there having people look at what you're eating through the glass. (I've only sat there 3 times since the building opened and just once a few games ago for the first time with the new setup) 

We used to do the clubs quite a bit, but we've migrated to the lofts as our "first choice" (my daughter loves those seats).  Due to the team being where it is in the standings, tickets off Stubhub for the lofts are now extremely reasonable...including the tack-on fees, I've been able to get tickets in the $100 - 125 range.  All you can eat of course (though I don't eat nearly as much as I once did...I'd say the food is better than what is served in the clubs, though not overwhelmingly so), and very comfortable seating.  Also much less people milling about in the loft area between periods...the clubs can get very crowded and a little hairy at times.  

Know what you mean about the glass, heh heh.  Does kind of feel like you're a museum exhibit.  

I'm not opposed to going back to the club seats again, and I do like sitting in the lower bowl (though not too too close), but I just like the overall feel of the lofts better.  We do the restaurant seating on occasion too.  

• Like 1