GDT: Red Wings @ Devils - Thurs 13 Feb @ 7p Easter

jagknife

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

And iirc it was a laser beam.

Why in the hell was Louie Dung given a start in the middle of what should have been a 4 game win streak

Domingue definitely was capable of letting in 5 and losing this game. 

I think his forum nickname should be Cinco, after his favorite number of goals to give up. 

In other news, 4 minutes of excitement got the job done, it was like the 9th grade all over again lol. 

• Haha 4

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Domingue definitely was capable of letting in 5 and losing this game. 

I think his forum nickname should be Cinco, after his favorite number of goals to give up. 

In other news, 4 minutes of excitement got the job done, it was like the 9th grade all over again lol. 

Cinco Domingo

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So my man Pavel Zacha is now 5th on the team in points and 1st in short handed points while being 12th on the team in average time on ice. 

he’s starting to turn into a player, y’all. 

Yup he’s killing it. He’s got basically the same scoring stats as Wayne Simmonds. A lot to be excited about. 

• Haha 2

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Yup he’s killing it. He’s got basically the same scoring stats as Wayne Simmonds. A lot to be excited about. 

Well, to be fair, he now has the same scoring stats as Hall did as a Devil...

...just took him 22 more games than Hall to get there.

7 points in Zacha’s last 7 games, but we’ve seen these surges before.  Did notch his 100th and 101st career points tonight.  But  yeah, I have a hard time getting too excited about yet another tease.  

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

7 points in Zacha’s last 7 games, but we’ve seen these surges before.  Did notch his 100th and 101st career points tonight.  But  yeah, I have a hard time getting too excited about yet another tease.  

I patented the phrase “flashes of adequacy” to describe when Pavel plays well. 7 points in 7 games is great. 6 goals in 55 games, not so much. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Especially when the games stop counting.  Wake me when Zacha has one of these stretches when it isn't second-half twenty points out junktime.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

Yeah, it’s really hard to get excited about single digit goals and 25-30 points out of a 4th year player. It’s nice he doesn’t look totally awful, but the fact that he’s tied for 5th in scoring is more an indictment of the team, than it is anything impressive by him. It’s entirely possible he could still break out at some point but I sure as hell wouldn’t bet on it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

He scored the game winning goal in the must-win game to get the Devils into the playoffs against the leafs in 2017, on an absolute beauty too.

but it seems ridiculous (see: right on par with you paste eaters) to say “he hasn’t scored much when it counts”. Since, ya know, he hasn’t played much when it counts either. This team is dog sh!t for the second calendar year in a row.

I don’t really agree with he only does it when there’s no pressure. That’s more of a goalie thing. Like Cory. Points are points in hockey. It’s not like garbage time in football. 

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

But they do pretty much have it locked up. The next closest team (LA) has 13 more points than them. It would take DET getting really hot down the stretch, and both LA and OTT totally imploding for the Wings to not finish in last. 

I mean they can't get any better odds than 18.5 percent no matter how bad they are. 

If you don’t hold the fact that he was the 6th overall pick in a deep draft over his head, Zacha is turning into a pretty good two way 30-45 point player, which you need.  It’s just maddening because he does show flashes of brilliance and you want so much more.   You also don’t particularly want to spend a 6th overall pick on a poor mans Zubrus.    

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

If you don’t hold the fact that he was the 6th overall pick in a deep draft over his head, Zacha is turning into a pretty good two way 30-45 point player, which you need.  It’s just maddening because he does show flashes of brilliance and you want so much more.   You also don’t particularly want to spend a 6th overall pick on a poor mans Zubrus.    

Unfortunately that will always be held over his head, which is a shame because he had no control over who picked him where. If he was picked 24th or something I think most would be fine with his development. I mean jeez he's playing with Wood and Simmonds and chipping in a few points. 

I'm also not entirely sure Barzal or Rantanen would have developed the same way that they did if their rookie years were with the 2016 Devils. Yes I do still think they'd turn out better than Zacha regardless though. 

• Like 4