GDT: Red Wings @ Devils - Thurs 13 Feb @ 7p Easter

jagknife

22 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I commented at you because you asked when I lost my sense of humor. I wanted to give you my reasoning.

I do not include you in that list of broken records who repeats the same joke forty times a day. 

I was more referring to the "positively riveting analysis as always CR" crack.  Leads me to believe that you've had issues with my posts for a while now...which is fine, I hardly expect everyone to love every last thing I post, and I've mentioned in other posts here and there that I think you've got a bit of an unfair "hard spot" for Palms, despite his being consistently productive...so I figure that if you do have some beef with me at the moment, maybe that's what's driving it.  But feel free to comment/debate on any point I make, as I'm making them.  That's what the board is here for.   

I think Zacha is a big disappointment and I will definitely bring up where he was drafted.  To ignore it would be asinine.  He was never going to go 25th or whatever in the first round; he was picked right around many hockey experts picked him to be.  The fact that he is easily the poorest pick in the entire top 10 of that draft is not something you can just ignore.  That was a complete miss by Ray/Lou/Conte as well.  Also, after 250 NHL games, his age excuse is just that; an excuse.

I am also concerned/disappointed in Hughes.  Like Zacha I really don't care about his age.  This was a number 1 overall that was advertised as being better than Nico.  The fact that he is on-track for the lowest point total for a rookie in the past 20-ish years is simply something that cannot be ignored either.

Also, Coleman has exactly 31 points.  31!!!  Yet, our fans are saying he is an "untouchable" player.  Yikes!

I guess this is what happens when you have 7 out of the last 8 years being a complete dumpster fire.  Our fans see average to slightly above average players as star players that must hang around into their 30's and make excuses for draft busts.

Happy Valentine's Day

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Also, Coleman has exactly 31 points.  31!!!  Yet, our fans are saying he is an "untouchable" player.  Yikes!

Are people saying that?? 

Personally I don’t want him to go, he’s exciting, likeable, and contributes enough that I want him to be around. But “untouchable”? No. Would I trade him for peanuts? Also no. He’s under contract for another year for almost no pay, that has to be worth something extra in a trade. 

What that is, I have no idea. But I feel the same way about everyone else, if they don’t want to re-sign, get them out of here and get something back. I guess he is too early on for negotiating. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Are people saying that?? 

Personally I don’t want him to go, he’s exciting, likeable, and contributes enough that I want him to be around. But “untouchable”? No. Would I trade him for peanuts? Also no. He’s under contract for another year for almost no pay, that has to be worth something extra in a trade. 

What that is, I have no idea. But I feel the same way about everyone else, if they don’t want to re-sign, get them out of here and get something back. I guess he is too early on for negotiating. 

Yes they are lol.  It's quite amazing.

There is no untouchable player except Nico and Mac on this roster. And if van surprisely offer Petterson for Nico or Mac - they weren`t be untouchable right after this moment. it’s an empty boltology as well as talk about unfulfilled expectations from a player selected at any number because of the number.

Edited by Guadana

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think Zacha is a big disappointment and I will definitely bring up where he was drafted.  To ignore it would be asinine.  He was never going to go 25th or whatever in the first round; he was picked right around many hockey experts picked him to be.  The fact that he is easily the poorest pick in the entire top 10 of that draft is not something you can just ignore.  That was a complete miss by Ray/Lou/Conte as well.  Also, after 250 NHL games, his age excuse is just that; an excuse.

I am also concerned/disappointed in Hughes.  Like Zacha I really don't care about his age.  This was a number 1 overall that was advertised as being better than Nico.  The fact that he is on-track for the lowest point total for a rookie in the past 20-ish years is simply something that cannot be ignored either.

I guess this is what happens when you have 7 out of the last 8 years being a complete dumpster fire.  Our fans see average to slightly above average players as star players that must hang around into their 30's and make excuses for draft busts.

Happy Valentine's Day

Joe Thornton (1st overall) put up 3 G and 4 A in 55 GP as an 18-year-old rookie.

Brendan Shanahan (2nd overall) put up 26 points in 65 GP (just 7 goals, in a much higher-scoring era) as an 18/19-year old rookie.

Nicomo mentioned the Sedin Bros.

I'm sure that I can dig up other examples of very high picks who didn't overwhelm initially...I can't worry about Hughes just yet.  Especially since we can see that he does have some nice skills.  And not like Kakko is tearing it up for the Rangers in his first season.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Joe Thornton (1st overall) put up 3 G and 4 A in 55 GP as an 18-year-old rookie.

Brendan Shanahan (2nd overall) put up 26 points in 65 GP (just 7 goals, in a much higher-scoring era) as an 18/19-year old rookie.

Nicomo mentioned the Sedin Bros.

I'm sure that I can dig up other examples of very high picks who didn't overwhelm initially...I can't worry about Hughes just yet.  Especially since we can see that he does have some nice skills.  And not like Kakko is tearing it up for the Rangers in his first season.  

Thornton was mainly on the fourth line and was scratched many games due to the Boston coaches wanting him to ease into the game.  Hughes has never been lower than the third line this season.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Thornton was mainly on the fourth line and was scratched many games due to the Boston coaches wanting him to ease into the game.  Hughes has never been lower than the third line this season.

Not like Joe's second season was awesome either...41 points in 81 GP.

I just think that Hughes' development path won't be quick as we originally hoped for.  I still believe he can be absolutely become a special player (especially if a solid infrastructure is put in place, starting with the new GM and coach).  And if there's any kid that seems like a "young" 18, it's definitely Jack.  

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Why circumstances is meaning something for you in other happening?

Edited by Guadana

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not like Joe's second season was awesome either...41 points in 81 GP.

I just think that Hughes' development path won't be quick as we originally hoped for.  I still believe he can be absolutely become a special player (especially if a solid infrastructure is put in place, starting with the new GM and coach).  And if there's any kid that seems like a "young" 18, it's definitely Jack.  

We talked about this the other day in another thread (or maybe this one).  I am not hitting the panic button yet.  However, it is concerning.  I know Jack hasn't played with the best of our lineup for most of the season, but I don't think he has looked a whole lot better playing with Palms and Bratt either.

I really want my concern to be proven wrong in the worst possible way though.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

They shouldn't?  Players are not robots or pieces of data on a spreadsheet.

yep. They didnt ask to pick them 6th. All what they ask - it`s their salary. Everybody in the world say that hughes isn`t ready for NHL(and he is the best in pts from this draft anyway). Boston coaches wanting Thornton to ease into the game, and NJ coaches wanting to not svck the cock. 

Edited by Guadana

1 minute ago, Guadana said:

yep. They didnt ask to pick them 6th. Everybody in the world say that hughes isn`t ready for NHL(and he is the best in pts for this draft). Boston coaches wanting Thornton to ease into the game, and NJ coach wanting to not suck the cock. 

Hughes was picked #1 overall.  He was the consensus #1 pick in the draft by most experts.  Yes, he leads the 2019 draft class in scoring by a whole 1 point over Kakko and Dach over 3 points.  Amazing.

Thornton was also the consensus #1 pick in his draft year.

Should they have asked the teams to not pick them first?  Should they have slacked a bit towards the end before the draft rankings?  Or ask teams to pick them later?

Zacha was picked about where he was predicted to be picked.  It wasn't like a player who was ranked 27th and the Devils reached for him.  He was slotted to go somewhere in picks 5-8 on almost everyone's draft list.

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Hughes was picked #1 overall.  He was the consensus #1 pick in the draft by most experts.  Yes, he leads the 2019 draft class in scoring by a whole 1 point over Kakko and Dach over 3 points.  Amazing.

Thornton was also the consensus #1 pick in his draft year.

Should they have asked the teams to not pick them first?  Should they have slacked a bit towards the end before the draft rankings?  Or ask teams to pick them later?

Zacha was picked about where he was predicted to be picked.  It wasn't like a player who was ranked 27th and the Devils reached for him.  He was slotted to go somewhere in picks 5-8 on almost everyone's draft list.

Its not amazing but it is what it is in lesser games. With horrible linemates. After Hughes went on first line devs are 3-1-1 btw. Both loses with Dominge. Hughes has 1g and 2a. Isn`t as bad?

Zacha may play in different game with differenet numbers, because it`s differenet team. We never know. Today he play for his salary. it`s over. And his salary is 2.2KK per year. And he is decent and capable enough. What were we all expect - stay in the past. Strome had some expactations too. 

Anyway everyone - Bratt, Butcher, Severson, Hughes, everyone else can change his game for better if managers can change all coaching stuff. Because no one didnt grow in his own game really well as we were all expect. Our coaching stuff is our circumstances.

Edited by Guadana

5 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Its not amazing but it is what it is in lesser games. With horrible linemates. After Hughes went on first line devs are 3-1-1 btw. Both loses with Dominge. Hughes has 1g and 2a. Isn`t as bad?

Zacha may play in different game with differenet numbers, because it`s differenet team. We never know. Today he play for his salary. it`s over. And his salary is 2.2KK per year. And he is decent and capable enough. What were we all expect - stay in the past. Strome had some expactations too. 

Anyway everyone - Bratt, Butcher, Severson, Hughes, everyone else can change his game for better if managers can change all coaching stuff. Because no one didnt grow in his own game really well as we were all expact. Our coaching stuff is our circumstances.

Hughes has shown some good spurts, but I am looking over most of the season.

I have no idea what you are saying with Zacha.

Butcher has looked terrible since his rookie campaign.  Severson takes one step forward and then 3 steps back seemingly every month.  You cannot blame everything on coaching, especially when so many players are doing terrible.

Your post actually helps me feel better about my position of where the Devils need a complete tear-down and everyone outside of Blackwood, Hughes and Hischier are on the table.

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You cannot blame everything on coaching, especially when so many players are doing terrible.

in sequence we dont trust.

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Your post actually helps me feel better about my position

After all i`m understand. Do not thank.

Edited by Guadana

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yes they are lol.  It's quite amazing.

I don't recall seeing anyone call him untouchable. He's  just the kind of guy who brings it every night and a young team needs that. But if the right offer comes along, of course you have to do what's best for the team. 

I guess what I mean is I'd listen to any and all offers for him, but I wouldn't be calling around the league trying to unload him for a 3rd or 4th round pick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yes but the third line has also been comprised of 4th line players lol. 

26 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

These conversations are made more frustrating because Hughes could easily have another 10 pts this season if even just 50% of the times he was robbed or hit posts had gone in. 

If he played with people who can actually score when he set them up, even more. 

If he had coaches who had a damn clue about how to coach the sport, he’d be in better shape too.

Like @DevsMan84 said, they’re not robots. They also need seasoning. Our coaches are pathetic. DBA was a joke. His French clone is just as bad. If we do something stupid and hire another Pitt product, I’ll panic about Jack. But I firmly believe he will perform significantly better with an actual NHL coach who gets the game. Not some guy who would suck at coaching pee wee defenders, let alone NHL talent.

22 minutes ago, jagknife said:

If he had coaches who had a damn clue about how to coach the sport, he’d be in better shape too.

Like @DevsMan84 said, they’re not robots. They also need seasoning. Our coaches are pathetic. DBA was a joke. His French clone is just as bad. If we do something stupid and hire another Pitt product, I’ll panic about Jack. But I firmly believe he will perform significantly better with an actual NHL coach who gets the game. Not some guy who would suck at coaching pee wee defenders, let alone NHL talent.

Moving away from DBA and Nas will be helpful.  However, can't really do much with the current line-up as is with dead weight and guys who are decent, but will be hitting 30 sooner rather than later.  This is why I want a complete teardown that never happened with Shero but should have happened.

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I mean, it really is relative.  Coleman on a good team is probably a depth guy - here he's one of the only bright spots on an otherwise miserable roster outside of a few young guys with promise.

I get why fans are drawn to him, though I agree to say he's untouchable is silly.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

These conversations are made more frustrating because Hughes could easily have another 10 pts this season if even just 50% of the times he was robbed or hit posts had gone in. 

If he played with people who can actually score when he set them up, even more. 

Yeah, but how many players can you say that for in this league?  Special players do special things.. I wasn't expecting an Art Ross but a bit more than what we've gotten was the baseline in my mind.  It's a far from apples-to-apples comparison, but Dahlin put up better stats (advanced and otherwise I believe) on a trash Sabres team last year than Hughes will probably end up doing this year.  That's a defenseman vs. a forward, to be clear.

That said, I'm far from the "Hughes is a bust" crowd.  I fully understand he's a kid out there amongst men and he really has no supporting talent on this roster outside of Nico and Bratt (when he decides to show up).  

TL;DR: I would've liked to see a little more out of a guy that was supposed to be a borderline-generational level player.

Edited by Devilsfan118