Coleman to the Bolts

jagknife

48 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Can you transcribe or summarize? Center Ice cut off after the 3 stars

Weird im also watching off center ice but it went for quite awhile

oh well he talked for quite awhile but what stuck out to me is when he said something like (extreme paraphrasing here) "we got the call inquiring for Blake and the offers just kept on getting better to the point we had to really consider and make a decision. And well the situation is that we had a chance to add some good assets and young guys while we dont know in 2 years what Blake would want to do, he could have very well walk, it's perfectly his right so we simply had to make a decision"

he said he knew it wasnt a popular move, he was a player once and went through it bla bla bla he also said that it's not as much as a step back as it seem, there's chances that we use those picks to get the next Kyle Palmieri, mojo etc etc like we did years ago.

And often said that all of this is happening because this seaosn didnt go the way nobody thought it would so they changed that.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

You guys value draft picks way too high here. Coleman seems like a perennial twenty goal guy with heart who actually seems to give a damn night in and night out. You don't trade guys like that unless you get one back who's the same.

This is a dopey take because why exactly would a team that already has a player like Coleman trade him for...Coleman?

I hate to see him go and he was one of those players that I would’ve loved to have seen survive these lean years...but all things considered, Fitz managed a very nice return here.  SD is right, in that this is really how the Devils have to do business...this is not a prime UFA destination, where the Panarins of the world will flock to.  They’ve gotta do their building through trades and from within (and taking advantage when a team is willing to give to get, like the Lightning just were) and when they draft a young player who later becomes a solid piece, sign him to a reasonable long-term contract.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

So high chance of having three draft picks in the first round this year. Assured to have 4 firsts in the next 2 drafts (NJ 2020, 2021, ARZ pick and VAN pick), unless we trade. This is solid. It also gives us a possibility to trade for an impact player like we did with Palms and MoJo if we end up not drafting with every pick.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Weird im also watching off center ice but it went for quite awhile

oh well he talked for quite awhile but what stuck out to me is when he said something like (extreme paraphrasing here) "we got the call inquiring for Blake and the offers just kept on getting better to the point we had to really consider and make a decision. And well the situation is that we had a chance to add some good assets and young guys while we dont know in 2 years what Blake would want to do, he could have very well walk, it's perfectly his right so we simply had to make a decision"

he said he knew it wasnt a popular move, he was a player once and went through it bla bla bla he also said that it's not as much as a step back as it seem, there's chances that we use those picks to get the next Kyle Palmieri, mojo etc etc like we did years ago.

And often said that all of this is happening because this seaosn didnt go the way nobody thought it would so they changed that.

Thanks buddy. Appreciate it.

It was a good trade.  Foote fits in to what the organization needs, which is a young winger who can shoot.  Hopefully the first ends up being a first rounder this year and is in the 16-20 range.  

This is much better than the deal I feared we would get from Boston which would be a first that would likely be below 25 and Beecher, who will be a bottom 6 grinder that will be in college for at least another 2 years.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

If Coleman fetched that return, I wonder what Palms could...

If they were to move Palms after moving Coleman they're going to be desperate for goals. Their leading scorer would be Nico with a whopping 13 followed by not much else. Combine that with hot garbage on D and this rebuild is going to take a while longer. 

Anybody remember the owners saying we weren't winning enough at this time? Seems to possibly be a disconnect there. I'm not saying the moves are bad but it contradicts the winning now statement. 

7 minutes ago, titans04 said:

If they were to move Palms after moving Coleman they're going to be desperate for goals. Their leading scorer would be Nico with a whopping 13 followed by not much else. Combine that with hot garbage on D and this rebuild is going to take a while longer. 

Anybody remember the owners saying we weren't winning enough at this time? Seems to possibly be a disconnect there. I'm not saying the moves are bad but it contradicts the winning now statement. 

Oh yeah, not saying we should trade Palms, just wondering what the return would be considering the return we got here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Oh yeah, not saying we should trade Palms, just wondering what the return would be considering the return we got here.

I feel the same way. I think we have a good shot at re-signing him after next season and I’d like him to still be here. 

But an I curious what the return would be? Definitely. 

• Like 1

How bad would it suck to see him not re-sign and go the Rags though...

Grew up a Rags fan, and wouldn’t have to move. I’ve never really heard much about him wanting to stay in NJ. At least not like Zajac who’s made it completely clear he doesn’t want out no matter what. 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

How bad would it suck to see him not re-sign and go the Rags though...

Grew up a Rags fan, and wouldn’t have to move. I’ve never really heard much about him wanting to stay in NJ. At least not like Zajac who’s made it completely clear he doesn’t want out no matter what. 

The time he signed a 5 year contract was at least some evidence of wanting to be here...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

You guys value draft picks way too high here. Coleman seems like a perennial twenty goal guy with heart who actually seems to give a damn night in and night out. You don't trade guys like that unless you get one back who's the same.

Look I was as big a skeptic over a possible trade of Coleman as anyone but they got essentially TWO first-rounders for a guy who was only under control for one more year after this, they maxed out on value and then some.

And I still don't want them to trade Palm or Gusev but if they really are going into PROCESS mode then that'll probably happen by next Monday and Fitz at least you can trust can find a decent return.  There won't be much to look forward to here for the next couple years, but there hasn't been the last several years anyway.

• Like 2

I was a fan of most of the work Shero did here but we never really had the assets to do a big time fire sale at the beginning of the rebuild and Shero also made a lot of value trades using our 2nd and 3rd rounders.   With this move, the hall trade and even the Greene trade, we’re going to really be able stock the system.   I still think Ty Smith is going to be a great asset, but we have a sh!t ton of work to do to build up the D 

• Like 1

@CommonDreads thoughts on Foote? 

Am I happy about losing Blake? No, it sucks to see the guy who was essentially making this team at least bearable to watch this year go. 

Am I happy with the return? Yes , Fitz seems to have learned how to get value much in the same way that Ray did. 

So basically I am conflicted. 

I really do feel for Blake and his wife though. The arrival of his daughter is imminent, and having this much upheaval is probably incredibly stressful. Hope that all goes well for them. 

tenor.gif

(Never has a GIF better summed up my mood in a situation)