Coleman to the Bolts

jagknife

Saw this blurb by one of the Athletic writers posted on HF...

2. Nolan Foote, LW, 19 (Kelowna Rockets)

Foote is a player I was sour on for a long time because I worried that he:

• Struggled in transition as a skater, limiting his ability to get off his lethal snap shot as he progresses up levels.
  • Didn’t do a great job using his linemates or finding his linemates through traffic when he tried to. His head tended to dip, limiting his peripheral vision and turning him into a predictable, borderline one-dimensional player.

Both of those things have now progressed to a level where I’m happy with them. I worried that he might look out of place in a top-six for Canada at the world juniors that also boasted Barrett Hayton, Alexis Lafreniere, Dylan Cozens and Joe Veleno – four players who are plus-level skaters – and later added Liam Foudy – one of the fastest players on the planet. He didn’t, though, and did a good job keeping up off the rush, while providing a different element once offensive zone pressure had been established.

Top 2020 prospect Quinton Byfield, who roomed with Foote at the world juniors, was quick to point to the fact that, while his roomie has size and a lethal shot, he can also skate and move the puck, calling him an “exceptional player.” Mitch Love, Team Canada’s assistant coach and one of Foote’s rival coaches in the WHL with the Saskatoon Blades, was quick to point out how thankful he was that Foote was teeing up his shot for the good guys.

Foote’s skating has improved to a level where I would say it’s NHL average, which is fine for a kid who is 6-foot-4. And while he’s always going to be a shot first player, I am increasingly impressed with his ability to make small area plays to teammates. I think he has a chance to become a good second line scorer who provides a physical element and length to a line. He was good at the world juniors, great in the Canada-Russia series and he’s consistently dangerous on a team that lacks a supporting cast in Kelowna.

Honestly this could end up being our best trade since Larsson for Hall. Especially if we can turn the 1st into something. 

• Like 3

I don’t see any problems in Gusev trading. As faster as Fitz can. Gusev made all his production with Coleman. Coleman and Zajac did all of positional work, Coleman did breakaways. After Coleman gone only thing where Gusev can be useful is playing with Hughes and Hischier. With jack Gusev was terrible and they are both small playmakers without scorer still. Coleman was Gusevs scorer. And now only one chance for Gusev to be really productive is if nas try to play him with palms and Nico. If it will not happened or Gusev can’t click with Nico and Palms - Gusev doesn’t have a place in this team to be a man he may be. 
and now he has some value. And still has one year of contract. It’s a best time to trade him. 

Edited by Guadana

34 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I don’t see any problems in Gusev trading. As faster as Fitz can. Gusev made all his production with Coleman. Coleman and Zajac did all of positional work, Coleman did breakaways. After Coleman gone only thing where Gusev can be useful is playing with Hughes and Hischier. With jack Gusev was terrible and they are both small playmakers without scorer still. Coleman was Gusevs scorer. And now only one chance for Gusev to be really productive is if nas try to play him with palms and Nico. If it will not happened or Gusev can’t click with Nico and Palms - Gusev doesn’t have a place in this team to be a man he may be. 
and now he has some value. And still has one year of contract. It’s a best time to trade him

I'm pretty sure that next season Gusev has a no trade clause in his contract so if they are planning on trading him it'll have to be now.

• Like 1

Sorry to see Coleman go but this was a classic "sell high" trade. Coleman's production (at least on this team with the lines he was on) was at the peak. Make some more moves, this year and next will be painful but we'll hopefully see some upper level talent start to appear and flourish with playing time.

32 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The return for Coleman we got is arguably better value than what we got for Hall.  That makes me even more comfortable with Shero getting sh!t-canned and Fitz being in charge.

Hall is a UFA rental, Coleman has another cheap year left.   Also, I’m not surprised the top teams didn’t undervalue Coleman as a top defensive player with a knack for scoring.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The return for Coleman we got is arguably better value than what we got for Hall.  That makes me even more comfortable with Shero getting sh!t-canned and Fitz being in charge.

Now please move the following players:

Vats

Simmonds

Wood

Palms

I'm keeping Palms because I think the team should have at least one productive vet in the lineup.  Zajac is probably gone after next year, and if Palms has shown anything, it's that he'll find some way to score at a 30 G per 82 GP rate.  He has 11 G and 11 A in his last 23 GP.  Gotta have SOMEONE who can play with Nico and/or Hughes who can put the puck home.  Palms has a legit NHL shot.  GIven that cap room is not going to be an issue with the team for years going forward, I'll take my chances with him, even if the last couple of years on his deal might not yield a killer return.  

For now I hang onto Wood mostly because he's not going to bring back anything of significance...might as well give him another season to see if he can up his value.

Fine with moving Vats and Simmonds.  

• Like 3

Just now, aylbert said:

Hall is a UFA rental, Coleman has another cheap year left.   Also, I’m not surprised the top teams didn’t undervalue Coleman as a top defensive player with a knack for scoring.

One player is a third liner who has overachieved.  The other is a player who is only 2 years removed from his MVP season.

I like Fitz and his demeanor, but the way I see it, is that Fitz didn't work the phones(by his account) on Coleman. He basically had something that is now more coveted then previous pending UFA's at the deadline: a rediculously cheap overperforming contract under control for 1 more season. It doesn't hurt that Coleman is a very good versatile player and REALLY fits the needs of Tampa. Maybe a more experienced GM gets even more as rediculous as it sounds. 

Greene's deal is 100% based upon Lou being the GM in Long Island. That 2nd round pick many believe is overpayment is more of Lou wanting what Lou wants. Fitz had zero leverage here and if Lou didn't have that extreme comfort level with Andy then that offer isn't there. Lou knows that 2nd isn't as valauble to a contending team, especially considering it means they can aquire a guy that is perfect to come in and play a strict structure it is him. Signing him next year could be on his radar as well.

I like Fitz, but are the returns Fitz or circumstance?

I am interested in seeing how good he is with his remaining moves before next Monday.

5 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

I like Fitz and his demeanor, but the way I see it, is that Fitz didn't work the phones(by his account) on Coleman. He basically had something that is now more coveted then previous pending UFA's at the deadline: a rediculously cheap overperforming contract under control for 1 more season. It doesn't hurt that Coleman is a very good versatile player and REALLY fits the needs of Tampa. Maybe a more experienced GM gets even more as rediculous as it sounds. 

Greene's deal is 100% based upon Lou being the GM in Long Island. That 2nd round pick many believe is overpayment is more of Lou wanting what Lou wants. Fitz had zero leverage here and if Lou didn't have that extreme comfort level with Andy then that offer isn't there. Lou knows that 2nd isn't as valauble to a contending team, especially considering it means they can aquire a guy that is perfect to come in and play a strict structure it is him. Signing him next year could be on his radar as well.

I like Fitz, but are the returns Fitz or circumstance?

I am interested in seeing how good he is with his remaining moves before next Monday.

Obviously too early to judge Fitz, based on a couple of good moves, and a nice ability to articulate his thoughts.

If anything, I give him some early credit for not overplaying his hand in either deal.  Sometimes GMs fubar those "Just make it" kinds of deals, in trying to squeeze out just that little bit more.  Fitz clearly did not do that.  

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

One player is a third liner who has overachieved.  The other is a player who is only 2 years removed from his MVP season.

As if it’s Shero’s fault the return he got for Hall was what the market was offering lol...which btw was still a pretty good return.

Blake Coleman isn’t an overachiever either. He’s proving to be a consistent 20 goal scorer. Hence the excellent return.

Edited by devlman

Just now, devlman said:

As if it’s Shero’s fault the return he got for Hall was what the market was offering lol...which btw was still a pretty good return.

Shero gets credit all the time for a home run by squeezing Hall from Edmonton but for the Hall to Arizona trade it is "what the market was offering."

OK then.

4 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I'm pretty sure that next season Gusev has a no trade clause in his contract so if they are planning on trading him it'll have to be now.

I guess technically, although he’d always be able to waive it and go play for a Cup if he didn’t intend to re-sign anyway. 

6 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

@CommonDreads thoughts on Foote? 

Am I happy about losing Blake? No, it sucks to see the guy who was essentially making this team at least bearable to watch this year go. 

Am I happy with the return? Yes , Fitz seems to have learned how to get value much in the same way that Ray did. 

So basically I am conflicted. 

I really do feel for Blake and his wife though. The arrival of his daughter is imminent, and having this much upheaval is probably incredibly stressful. Hope that all goes well for them. 

tenor.gif

(Never has a GIF better summed up my mood in a situation) 

Don't feel too bad. He's joining a powerhouse that will go for the cup and live in Tampa where the weather is amazing. So im not too worried for them 

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

One player is a rental that the team would have for a few months. The other is a player they'll have for this run and for a whole other year.

It's really that simple and why the return was better. 

Obviously if we would have dealt Hall with a year left on his contract the return would have been a lot better, its just common sense

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

One player is a rental that the team would have for a few months. The other is a player they'll have for this run and for a whole other year.

It's really that simple and why the return was better

TB is also taking the chance that Coleman has overachieved this year and last due to him playing more minutes than he should have.  There is little chance he gets nearly the same amount of minutes in Tampa as he does in NJ.  If that is the case then Tampa will likely see them sending essentially two first round picks for a guy who is going to get them 30-35 points a season.

• Like 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

TB is also taking the chance that Coleman has overachieved this year and last due to him playing more minutes than he should have.  There is little chance he gets nearly the same amount of minutes in Tampa as he does in NJ.  If that is the case then Tampa will likely see them sending essentially two first round picks for a guy who is going to get them 30-35 points a season.

Tampa clearly identified that a guy like Coleman is what they need, they finesse their way to 120 pts seasons but when the games gets to the next level they all crumbled. A guy like Coleman who's always giving his 200% and playing hard is EXACTLY what they needed.

The guy proved over the last few seasons that he's producing no matter what and having an impact every night

• Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Tampa clearly identified that a guy like Coleman is what they need, they finesse their way to 120 pts seasons but when the games gets to the next level they all crumbled. A guy like Coleman who's always giving his 200% and playing hard is EXACTLY what they needed.

The guy proved over the last few seasons that he's producing no matter what and having an impact every night

OK.

• Haha 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

OK.

And i mean come on "overachieved BECAUSE he was playing more minutes than he should have"  ???? come the fvck on man. Then why not just play Zacha more than we should if it,s that simple?!? 

I don't understand why you're suddenly down on Coleman when not a single NJ fan ever said anything negative about him? Is it cause you need to absolutely find a way to pin something negative on Ray?

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And i mean come on "overachieved BECAUSE he was playing more minutes than he should have"  ???? come the fvck on man. Then why not just play Zacha more than we should if it,s that simple?!? 

I don't understand why you're suddenly down on Coleman when not a single NJ fan ever said anything negative about him? Is it cause you need to absolutely find a way to pin something negative on Ray?

What in the world does Coleman have to do with Ray? 

• Like 1