Coleman to the Bolts

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I should...now I can see what Ottawa Rob looks like...

Anyone who doesn’t like that deal doesn’t understand hockey in the slightest.  Please turn around and hold up your phone so he can read this lol. 

He's a well-spoken man. I hope we keep him long term.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

One player is a third liner who has overachieved.  The other is a player who is only 2 years removed from his MVP season.

One player is a rental that the team would have for a few months. The other is a player they'll have for this run and for a whole other year.

It's really that simple and why the return was better. 

Obviously if we would have dealt Hall with a year left on his contract the return would have been a lot better, its just common sense

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
Just now, SterioDesign said:

One player is a rental that the team would have for a few months. The other is a player they'll have for this run and for a whole other year.

It's really that simple and why the return was better

TB is also taking the chance that Coleman has overachieved this year and last due to him playing more minutes than he should have.  There is little chance he gets nearly the same amount of minutes in Tampa as he does in NJ.  If that is the case then Tampa will likely see them sending essentially two first round picks for a guy who is going to get them 30-35 points a season.

• Like 1
Just now, DevsMan84 said:

TB is also taking the chance that Coleman has overachieved this year and last due to him playing more minutes than he should have.  There is little chance he gets nearly the same amount of minutes in Tampa as he does in NJ.  If that is the case then Tampa will likely see them sending essentially two first round picks for a guy who is going to get them 30-35 points a season.

Tampa clearly identified that a guy like Coleman is what they need, they finesse their way to 120 pts seasons but when the games gets to the next level they all crumbled. A guy like Coleman who's always giving his 200% and playing hard is EXACTLY what they needed.

The guy proved over the last few seasons that he's producing no matter what and having an impact every night

• Like 1
Just now, SterioDesign said:

Tampa clearly identified that a guy like Coleman is what they need, they finesse their way to 120 pts seasons but when the games gets to the next level they all crumbled. A guy like Coleman who's always giving his 200% and playing hard is EXACTLY what they needed.

The guy proved over the last few seasons that he's producing no matter what and having an impact every night

OK.

• Haha 1
Just now, DevsMan84 said:

OK.

And i mean come on "overachieved BECAUSE he was playing more minutes than he should have"  ???? come the fvck on man. Then why not just play Zacha more than we should if it,s that simple?!? 

I don't understand why you're suddenly down on Coleman when not a single NJ fan ever said anything negative about him? Is it cause you need to absolutely find a way to pin something negative on Ray?

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And i mean come on "overachieved BECAUSE he was playing more minutes than he should have"  ???? come the fvck on man. Then why not just play Zacha more than we should if it,s that simple?!? 

I don't understand why you're suddenly down on Coleman when not a single NJ fan ever said anything negative about him? Is it cause you need to absolutely find a way to pin something negative on Ray?

What in the world does Coleman have to do with Ray? 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

What in the world does Coleman have to do with Ray? 

Well he started this whole thing by saying that he was glad Shero was gone cause Fitz was able to get a better return for Coleman than what he was able to get for Hall.

Then i explained him it's because Coleman had an extra year on his contract so obviously the return was going to be better than a rental return. 

Then he brought up the MVP thing.

Then he started to say Coleman was only a overachiever and that Tampa was risking a lot in that trade etc... makes no sense to suddenly be down on Coleman after he proved to be giving his 200% and producing even when the team sucked.

So i'm assuming he's just trying to find a way to justify that Hall should have brought back more than Coleman.... somehow... no matter what. And the reason could be that he's just trying to pin a failure on Ray, i really can't think of another reason. Which is why i asked.

Edited by SterioDesign
23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Don't feel too bad. He's joining a powerhouse that will go for the cup and live in Tampa where the weather is amazing. So im not too worried for them 

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

FWIW it was said somewhere last night that Coleman's wife is staying in NJ for the time being for the birth of their child.

I think He confirmed as much in his "thank you Devils" post on twitter. 

Still though he is going to have to be away in Tampa day to day, that is a big stress for both of them. Then Looking to move with a baby (which I did about 4 months ago) is one of the worst things to have to do. 

It's part of being a pro hockey player I guess , but still sh!tty , sh!tty timing for them. 

Just now, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Still though he is going to have to be away in Tampa day to day, that is a big stress for both of them. Then Looking to move with a baby (which I did about 4 months ago) is one of the worst things to have to do. 

It's part of being a pro hockey player I guess , but still sh!tty , sh!tty timing for them. 

Probably easier the more money you have, but Blake isn’t exactly loaded. He probably doesn’t “have people” for that. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Probably easier the more money you have, but Blake isn’t exactly loaded. He probably doesn’t “have people” for that. 

he's technically going to make more money in Tampa because of the tax difference though i assume

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah but I don't think the raw point production of Coleman is that big of a deal to Tampa.  They have plenty of top line offense.   This is about depth and based on the price they paid, they identified that Coleman brings a element to their lineup that was sorely lacking when they got swept by the Blue Jackets last year.   Given that he brings that for a measly 1.8 million this year and next, makes it even more attractive for a capped out team.   Yes, they paid a high price but I suspect that if Coleman pairs up with Palat and whoever else to form a 3rd line that can give other teams fits, they'll probably have a cup and no regrets.     

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah 100%.

It's a time where you would both want to be close together. If she is staying in NJ it almost seems a certainty that he will be out of town. 

8 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

@Triumph is like a ghost and pops up with the perfect image. Bravo good sir. You just needed the "There's no Coleman here" to really drive it home (although of course i got it).

it was really just for you - can't expect everyone to understand a throwaway line from a 37 year old movie.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Shero gets credit all the time for a home run by squeezing Hall from Edmonton but for the Hall to Arizona trade it is "what the market was offering."

OK then.

It’s not that simple and you know that.

18 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

he's technically going to make more money in Tampa because of the tax difference though i assume

Yeah, but a guy making $7-8m a year can just pay people to do all of the stressful stuff. 

10 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Yeah 100%.

It's a time where you would both want to be close together. If she is staying in NJ it almost seems a certainty that he will be out of town. 

That part sucks without question. I was only referring to the moving part. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

@Triumph is like a ghost and pops up with the perfect image. Bravo good sir. You just needed the "There's no Coleman here" to really drive it home (although of course i got it).

13 minutes ago, Triumph said:

it was really just for you - can't expect everyone to understand a throwaway line from a 37 year old movie.  

No references from any movie with Dan Aykroyd will ever fly over my head boys

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

No references from any movie with Dan Aykroyd will ever fly over my head boys

i mean yes, of course it's akroyd at his finest. but this is an eddie murphy movie - let's not fool ourselves.

trading places

coming to america

beverly hills cop 2

they are eddie masterpieces. people throw in 48 hours but i think the aforementioned are the pinnacle.

7 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

@CommonDreads thoughts on Foote? 

Am I happy about losing Blake? No, it sucks to see the guy who was essentially making this team at least bearable to watch this year go. 

Am I happy with the return? Yes , Fitz seems to have learned how to get value much in the same way that Ray did. 

So basically I am conflicted. 

I really do feel for Blake and his wife though. The arrival of his daughter is imminent, and having this much upheaval is probably incredibly stressful. Hope that all goes well for them. 

tenor.gif

(Never has a GIF better summed up my mood in a situation) 

Nolan Foote is someone I had pegged as a high 2nd Rounder last year, and my main knock on him was his skating ability. He has gotten quicker, and while he's never going to be a burner on the rush, his skating ability has come a long way and I'm happy with his ability to get up in the play and play in transition. His best asset is his shot, which is pretty lethal; his accuracy is quite good but the real key to his shot is how much power he can get behind it, he's a very heavy shooter which allows him to score from distance in addition to being able to use his size to play the net front. He brings a lot of size up front at 6'4", 200 lbs, and his hands are quite good for a player his size and he can make plays in tight. The mixture of his size and hands makes him a great net front player on the powerplay, as he can park himself in front to take the goalie's eyes away but can also make moves in tight with the puck to open up the goaltender rather than just shooting it into his pads, some of his net front ability reminds me of prime Simmonds or JVR.

I don't think Nolan is ever going to be a bonafide top line forward, but I also don't think a 2nd line forward with PP1 upside is an unrealistic outlook for him. He's a premium asset and may be a little closer to a 1st Rounder in hindsight should I retroactively look back on my rankings from last year, I'd say he's moved up a little. Fitzgerald did very well here, as much as it sucks losing Blake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
15 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

Yup, he isn't afraid to use it also. Saw him play a lot during the WJC. I watched every Canada game.

He plays for Canada?   He was born in Colorado

52 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I think He confirmed as much in his "thank you Devils" post on twitter. 

Congrats ; ) 

12 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Nolan Foote is someone I had pegged as a high 2nd Rounder last year, and my main knock on him was his skating ability. He has gotten quicker, and while he's never going to be a burner on the rush, his skating ability has come a long way and I'm happy with his ability to get up in the play and play in transition. His best asset is his shot, which is pretty lethal; his accuracy is quite good but the real key to his shot is how much power he can get behind it, he's a very heavy shooter which allows him to score from distance in addition to being able to use his size to play the net front. He brings a lot of size up front at 6'4", 200 lbs, and his hands are quite good for a player his size and he can make plays in tight. The mixture of his size and hands makes him a great net front player on the powerplay, as he can park himself in front to take the goalie's eyes away but can also make moves in tight with the puck to open up the goaltender rather than just shooting it into his pads, some of his net front ability reminds me of prime Simmonds or JVR.

I don't think Nolan is ever going to be a bonafide top line forward, but I also don't think a 2nd line forward with PP1 upside is an unrealistic outlook for him. He's a premium asset and may be a little closer to a 1st Rounder in hindsight should I retroactively look back on my rankings from last year, I'd say he's moved up a little. Fitzgerald did very well here, as much as it sucks losing Blake.

the thing he may not even be our best asset we received out of this trade either. The first we get will likely be better than where he was picked, well "Technically". 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

the thing he may not even be our best asset we received out of this trade either. The first we get will likely be better than where he was picked, well "Technically". 

Absolutely, if the draft were today the Devils would be selecting at 4th, 16th, and 18th. If they just picked who I have ranked at those spots (which they won't, but just illustrating the quality of player that could be there at those picks), they would end up with Tim Stützle, Rodion Amirov, and Dawson Mercer. That is an absolute HAUL, I know things are tough right now but the kind of young talent this organization in bringing right now is imposing.