Our Next Captain

mfitz804

It’s been a few years, and obviously, it’s now time. 

Lots of us are saying Nico without question. I guess as a young 1C that’s the natural choice. I don’t know if anyone within the team has criteria a Captain needs to fill (leadership, a vocal guy, etc), and if so, does Nico check those boxes? He seems kind of like a quiet guy. 

I don’t think Zajac is going to be here much longer. I would say Palmieri is a good candidate, but he too may not be here. 

I suppose if what Fitz said holds true, and they build around Nico, Jack and Blackwood, the only logical choice is Nico. 

I say Nico.

I still hope the Devils hang onto Palms...would be nice to have at least one productive vet still here, after the dust settles.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I think you go Nico with the 'C', Vatanen with an 'A', and Palms with an 'A'.  

I doubt they will name "C" the remainder of the year. Wait till dust settles, and see what we have. Nico to me is obvious choice now I think.

Nico. 

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Definitely the right move since the season is almost over anyway and us fans make a bigger deal about this stuff than it really is. 

Yeah I’m fine with that for the rest of the season. But Nico should be named Captain over the summer.

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I doubt they will name "C" the remainder of the year. Wait till dust settles, and see what we have. Nico to me is obvious choice now I think.

Yeah you're probably right, better to do it in the off-season, and that'll give people a reason to stay engaged during the summer months.

Eventually Nico but I don't see the rush to even have a captain next season.  Go with 3/4 A's rotating one.  I don't think Nico is ready yet but is the odds on favorite at this time to be the one that grow into it.  I wouldn't hand out the C just to have one. What's way more important to me is now bringing in the right coach who can work with a lineup loaded with kids especially if a few more guys get moved. Makes my stomach hurt thinking of this defense with out Vats and it makes all the sense in the world to move him. I would desperately make an effort to unload PK even if we have to eat a big share of his cap. He's not a part of the future nor is Simmonds.

The captaincy is somewhat trivial. But for what it is worth, it should go to Zajac after almost 1,000 games as a Devil, completely committed to the team. I don't really think the Devils should be in any rush to name one of their young players, namely Nico, the captain for the next decade and I don't think anyone's really earned it yet either. Giving it to the deserving Zajac for whatever time he has left on the team would both let Zajac go down in history as one of the Devils' captains and buy time for the team to decide who the next and long-term captain should be. Actually, they should just let Zajac wear it starting now and if he's gone by next trade deadline, he'll have had a full year with the "C".

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Captain jack! Jk it’s gonna be nico, a little earlier than I’d like, but I can’t see them giving it to anyone else. 

He’s such a mature 21 year old though. All business on the ice, well spoken, extremely likable, etc. Perfect captain material. 

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Why take away Zajac’s A? Vatanen likely isn’t sticking around anyway. 

Ah, I forgot he had one, knew I was leaving someone out as I wrote that in a hurry.  With that in mind, I probably give the other two to Zajac and Palms, but I do like the idea of having at least one defender with an 'A', especially a veteran - but Zajac definitely deserves it.  Also, I'm really hoping Vatanen gets a multi-year deal from us and will be here after this season.

25 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Zajac the rest of the season - then we'll see from there.

There's really no point in naming a captain for the rest of a lost season and then taking it away from him over the summer. Better to just leave three A's for now. 

Which I believe they already said is the plan. 

• Like 1