Our Next GM

Colorado Rockies 1976

Jags thoughts on the article/team: I don’t think we’re THAT far away from being, like Fitz said, competitive. We have some good pieces but we clearly have some passengers who need to be removed. Our coaches are a joke and Nas is not even remotely close to the answer. I think if Fitz gets the keys to the team, he’ll bring in one of the big name coaches that are out there. He’ll maybe flip a pick or two at the draft, but if not and from most accounts this should be a strong draft, he should get some solid pieces.

That Hall answer really has me wondering if he thinks Ray blew it. Like if Ray had over or underplayed his hand. It just felt weird the way he answered it, granted I wasn’t there for the interview and I’m relying on print for it.

I don't see how we could possibly trade Palmieri at this point.  We got shutout yesterday, partly because we were up against a really good defense, but also because we just traded away the guy who was tied for the team lead in goals.  You can't trade the other guy he was tied with too.  We'd have nothing left.  Nico's awesome but he doesn't score enough, and Hughes isn't there yet either.  All of our other guys are role players who get goals here and there, but again, not consistent enough (i.e. Bratt, Zacha, Wood, Simmonds, etc).  Then you have guys who hardly ever score like Zajac, Hayden, Rooney, Anderson, and so forth.

They say they're not trying to tear everything down, but if you trade Palmieri that's exactly what you're doing.  If that happens, we won't be competitive next year like Fitz alluded to.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't see how we could possibly trade Palmieri at this point.  We got shutout yesterday, partly because we were up against a really good defense, but also because we just traded away the guy who was tied for the team lead in goals.  You can't trade the other guy he was tied with too.  We'd have nothing left.  Nico's awesome but he doesn't score enough, and Hughes isn't there yet either.  All of our other guys are role players who get goals here and there, but again, not consistent enough (i.e. Bratt, Zacha, Wood, Simmonds, etc).  Then you have guys who hardly ever score like Zajac, Hayden, Rooney, Anderson, and so forth.

They say they're not trying to tear everything down, but if you trade Palmieri that's exactly what you're doing.  If that happens, we won't be competitive next year like Fitz alluded to.  

I really don’t think (read as: really ducking hope) that we don’t trade Palms unless it’s for legit, NHL ready now pieces. Even then, I think palms is the leader we want here to build behind and around. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I really don’t think (read as: really ducking hope) that we don’t trade Palms unless it’s for legit, NHL ready now pieces. Even then, I think palms is the leader we want here to build behind and around. 

Agreed.  You have to have some veterans around the team, and also some guys who are gritty and give there all.  Palms exemplifies a lot of what Coleman did, and is actually a better and more consistent scorer.  He's a great role model for the younger guys and still an effective player. I think he should be here for another 3-5 years minimum.  

Although I think Fitz would do a fine job, do you really give the keys to the kingdom to a guy that was the last GM's boy?

I suppose if he says the right things about what his predecessor did wrong/what he will do different, it could work. 

If he is still talking about competing next year, that tells me he intends to keep Palmieri. Whether he gets an offer good enough to change that intention may remain to be seen. As does whether we can be "good quickly". 

20 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

i didn't read this before posting, or I would have just said "this". 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The only thing I can think of is that Fitz is hoping to get some players who were in a similar situation to Plams when he was traded to the Devil's as replacements?

I think he did allude to this in one of his Q&A sessions. 

He just turned 24 when he arrived, so would fit the age profile Fitz was talking about .

I think this team needs some form of veteran leadership, and I think Palms is a great example to follow. He isn't someone I would want to move, trouble is he is one of the few players with real value. 

• Like 2

At this point, I'm not sure what keeping Palms will do for us. He likely won't be here when the team gets good again, and so - if the doors are blown off with a trade - then that's what they should do. They can always sign him again 15 months if things are working out with the rebuild. 

They can sign or trade for veteran leadership, Travis is still here for now.

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

At this point, I'm not sure what keeping Palms will do for us. He likely won't be here when the team gets good again, and so - if the doors are blown off with a trade - then that's what they should do. They can always sign him again 15 months if things are working out with the rebuild. 

I say find out if he wants to be here beyond next season...he's not so old that his play is likely to fall off a cliff.

My feeling is still the same...I'd like to see Nico have SOMEONE to play with, who can actually bury some pucks.  

If Palms doesn't seem like he wants to stay once he's a UFA, or someone is willing to cough up a surprising amount in a trade, then though it will bum me out even more than losing Coleman did...I will understand.  Palms' value may never be higher than it is right now.  I can't ignore that fact.

All that being said, first round picks are a little bit like highly-touted young or backup QBs...they're intriguing when they're unknowns, but once they stop becoming abstract quantities, they better have something going on.

Basically...Fitz, if you want to stock up on first-rounders and prospects by trading some good in-their-prime players off a team that's been disappointing, I get that.  But you better nail some of these picks.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

As some have said on here the majority of Shero's roster moves were not bad, his biggest mistake was sticking with Hynes too long. Fitz's biggest decision (or whoever the GM is at that point) will be appointing the new coaching staff. That will have the biggest impact on the development of Hughes, Nico and the other young guys, so they better get it right.

41 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

As some have said on here the majority of Shero's roster moves were not bad, his biggest mistake was sticking with Hynes too long. Fitz's biggest decision (or whoever the GM is at that point) will be appointing the new coaching staff. That will have the biggest impact on the development of Hughes, Nico and the other young guys, so they better get it right.

Name Fitz GM after the deadline and then fire Nas and hire Boudreau now. That gives Boudreau a few months to help evaluate players and get to know the locker room. I would think Fitz knows him well since I believe he was almost hired in Minnesota, correct? Boudreau also had Stevens as an assistant for a year in Minnesota, so maybe there would be a natural connection there as well to help bring him in to the org. 

Trade the only nhl shooter on the team for a potential nhl shooter. It's like the fish trading tunsil , great, now go find another left tackle ..

Push the rebuild back 2 years more. Plams has 4 to 5 decent years left in that shot. Guy isn't a great skater now  it's not his thing. He score 25 to 30 goals that's his thing

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steadevils said:

Name Fitz GM after the deadline and then fire Nas and hire Boudreau now. That gives Boudreau a few months to help evaluate players and get to know the locker room. I would think Fitz knows him well since I believe he was almost hired in Minnesota, correct? Boudreau also had Stevens as an assistant for a year in Minnesota, so maybe there would be a natural connection there as well to help bring him in to the org. 

image.gif.b7ba0fb0612158384e1b9940346657ae.gif

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

How many times can we say "Player X won't be here when the team gets good again?"  It's become an endless cycle, and never stops because you keep trading away your good players.  Also, I'm not even sure that it's even true.  Look at Colorado.  They were close to dead last in the league about 3 years ago, and now they're one of the front runners for the Cup this year.  I'm sure they have multiple players still currently on their roster who were on the team 3 years ago that some may have considered expendable.  So I think it's very reasonable that Palms is on this team when we become competitive again - hopefully sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 8:31 AM, NJDfan1711 said:

Correction: Then you have guys who hardly ever score like Zajac, Zacha, Hayden, Rooney, Anderson, and so forth.

Speaking of Zajac, after next year there is zero reason to resign him. I hope he / Devils move on. He can thank Parise for his golden 7 year $42M contract and call it a day. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

How many times can we say "Player X won't be here when the team gets good again?"  It's become an endless cycle, and never stops because you keep trading away your good players.  Also, I'm not even sure that it's even true.  Look at Colorado.  They were close to dead last in the league about 3 years ago, and now they're one of the front runners for the Cup this year.  I'm sure they have multiple players still currently on their roster who were on the team 3 years ago that some may have considered expendable.  So I think it's very reasonable that Palms is on this team when we become competitive again - hopefully sooner rather than later. 

It’s a bad concept. Nico and Jack May not be on the team when we’re good either, it depends what is done around them.

Palms is good now. You also need guys, at least a couple, that are good now. 

Now, if it’s next year and there’s no extension done, different story for me. 

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

image.gif.b7ba0fb0612158384e1b9940346657ae.gif

Hahaha..but why such a hard pass on Boudreau? I mean he's been an incredibly successful regular season coach with the only real blemish being his teams getting knocked out early in the playoffs. I would enjoy failing in the playoffs in the next 2-4 years....Also playoffs can be such a crap-shoot where a bounce or 2 and your fate can change; I really don't consider it that much of a knock on the guy (Not comparing their abilities/personalities in any way, but hall-of-famer Burns had some of that playoff failing baggage before breaking through with us in 2003). Boudreau was good with the young Capitals teams too, so unless I missed it in other places I don't think he has a knock of being bad with younger players.

9 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

Hahaha..but why such a hard pass on Boudreau? I mean he's been an incredibly successful regular season coach with the only real blemish being his teams getting knocked out early in the playoffs. I would enjoy failing in the playoffs in the next 2-4 years....Also playoffs can be such a crap-shoot where a bounce or 2 and your fate can change; I really don't consider it that much of a knock on the guy (Not comparing their abilities/personalities in any way, but hall-of-famer Burns had some of that playoff failing baggage before breaking through with us in 2003). Boudreau was good with the young Capitals teams too, so unless I missed it in other places I don't think he has a knock of being bad with younger players.

You just answered your own question.

36 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You just answered your own question.

I just am not sure that is a disqualifying factor due to the playoff success being filled with randomness that can be erased with one/two good runs. Looking back, unless I made a mistake it looks like he lost 7 game 7's in Washington/Anaheim (might be digging myself a further hole here..but I think I still have an angle?). That is obviously stunning/remarkable/brutal and is not a thing you'd tick off on the 'positive' column of a resume, but I still say that luck/randomness goes in to that and who knows what happens if one of those games turns out differently. I always think back to our runs on where a bounce here could have ended the magic (those game 7's vs philly in 2000 and ottawa in 2003 were both battles that could have ended up differently without a bounce here or there. On the other end I think we make a run if game 6 or 7 goes our way in '99). I am of the belief from our own runs of success/failure during our dynasty that it is all about getting in consistently and giving yourself ample opportunities to create some luck and make those runs. In the end we lost more years than not during the dynasty and a lot of them were in the 1st/2nd round. The 2012 run is the perfect example in that we easily could have bowed out to Florida, but took those game 6/7 OT wins and were able to build some magic off of that. Boudreau has lost 10 playoff series (7 in game 7's) maybe it's time some luck goes his way? I would be happy to lose in the first/2nd round in the next 2 years just so I have meaningful hockey to watch for the 82 games at least. 

Edited by Steadevils

Boudreau or not - Fitz has a lot of options. Boudreau, Boucher, Gallant, Lav, Peters(if he will ever has a job), Montgomery - all they have good PTS% and Win% in playoff.  Each one has own style and +\-. I`m one of men who will pick Boudreau over Gallant. I don`t like vertical Gallant`s hockey. Much more important i will pick Gallant over Nas.