GDT: Devils @ Blues 8PM

Nicomo

18 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Pretty sure our record has been horrible against the Blues for quite some time now. Probably gonna lose either way so might as well celebrate Cinco Domingo again 

Did someone actually say that's the reason? Lol

definitely making it seem that way through quotes

• Haha 1

I can understand the frustration with Bratt being out of the lineup given his assist and shootout goal last game. Though, as you'll recall the Devils got absolutely obliterated last game but in a post-Greene/Coleman world, Mackenzie Blalckwood's effort stopped them from losing 10-3, and actually stole them the game. The first line was particularly bad and there's really little argument to defend anyone from being scratched today aside from Merkley, Anderson, and Rooney, the only players to have halfway decent games.  Thus, none of the usual players that can be scratched for Hayden deserved to be scratched. Any of Bratt, Wood, or Gusev could have come out of the lineup today with little complaint from me really, they all got shellacked last game. Yeah, you could suggest Wood comes out and Bratt drops down to the second line in order to make the Hughes at wing experiment happen, but I assume Nas didn't consider doing that because any line Gusev is on simply doesn't seem to work with smaller skill players who can't win possession. Wood is no Coleman but he'll likely be more effective with Gusev than Bratt. Thus, Bratt comes out.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think a lot of people give Bratt a lot more consideration than he's due. Not that he should be scratched for Hayden, but honestly, he's fast and he's an ok player thus far. 

another guy who at his peak in his career to date has been just adequate.

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

To be fair he was a 6th round draft pick so adequate to decent is still a nice surprise from that low of a draft pick. 

That's fine, but a year ago people were saying he was "untouchable". But yes, we got middling talent for a bottom of the barrel pick. 

Not everyone can do this.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Bratt's the opposite of the type of player the Devils would trade, anyway. He's just really not all that good. He's shown flashes, but hasn't put it together. He's cheap and the Devils should hold on to him in case he can ever find consistency in his game. 

He goes RFA this offseason...will be very interesting to see what the Devils offer him.  He hasn't been nearly consistent enough to get more than 2 years as far as I'm concerned, on a "Show Me" kind of deal.  Maybe $2 million per?  Though gotta think Bratt's agent will look at Zacha's deal and think Bratt should get at least the same.  

47 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He goes RFA this offseason...will be very interesting to see what the Devils offer him.  He hasn't been nearly consistent enough to get more than 2 years as far as I'm concerned, on a "Show Me" kind of deal.  Maybe $2 million per?  Though gotta think Bratt's agent will look at Zacha's deal and think Bratt should get at least the same.  

Just like I said for Zacha, low dollars times multiple years. Lock him up now, if he turns out to be a great player, you score, if he doesn’t, he’s easy and inexpensive to get rid of.

I don't see a good return for Bratt at all, not for a guy that rarely delivers in the 60 minute game and is the same player he was 175 games ago. I do believe he's cheap going forward and not much of a risk to keep around.  I also believe our roster is littered with guys that aren't good enough to make a difference while also not being horrible. If you look at each piece individually you can say ok, he's serviceable and not hurting us much. Unfortunately you need to have more difference makers and not all these roster fillers. We have way way too many of those.