NFL 2020 - Off-season, Rumors, Draft etc

'7'

Why not. I miss football already (XFL isn't cutting it. Sort of surprised they lasted even 2 weeks)

This doesn't surprise me. I think there is absolutely no smoke here. It's just the Beckham camp trying to goad the Jets into inquiring. The Browns don't want him anymore, and he wants to play where the lights are brightest. Gase putting up with Beckham? Don't envision that.

Source: Odell Beckham Could Want A Big Apple Return...With The New York Jets

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/odell-beckham-could-want-new-york-jets-as-destination

Odell Beckham could be coming back to New York, it just may not be with the team that drafted him five years ago…and then traded him away. 

Amid speculation and rumor that the game’s most talented wide receiver might be the center of an offseason trade from the Cleveland Browns, it might be the New York Jets and not the New York Giants that could be a destination for Beckham . An NFL source told SportsIllustrated.com that if Beckham is traded, he would view the Jets as an ideal landing spot. 

Also rumblings about Miami wanting to pry Burrow from Cinci. 

Miami Dolphins: Here’s what it might take to pry Joe Burrow from Cincinnati Bengals

Here are some trade parameters that could work for both Miami and Cincinnati if QB Joe Burrow doesn’t want to join the Bengals.

Just as quarterback Joe Burrow cryptically says he has “leverage” in the upcoming NFL Draft, his mother says she has no idea why there’s speculation that her son might not want to play for the Cincinnati Bengals, who own the top pick.

Where the truth lies might not be known until the prime-time lights come on April 23 and Commissioner Roger Goodell declares whether the Bengals or someone else owns the rights to his services.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20200219/miami-dolphins-herersquos-what-it-might-take-to-pry-joe-burrow-from-cincinnati-bengals

Edited by '7'

Not thrilled with this but certainly not surprised. Get ready for more mediocre playoff teams.

More playoff teams expected under new NFL CBA, sources say

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28739375/more-playoff-teams-expected-new-nfl-cba-sources-say

If and when a transformational collective bargaining agreement is finalized -- and there is now mounting optimism it could be done sometime in the next week -- it is expected to change the NFL's playoff structure as it is currently constituted for next season, league sources told ESPN.

Under the current CBA proposal that NFL owners are pushing for, the playoff field would be expanded to seven teams from each conference, while the regular season would be increased to 17 games per team and the preseason shortened to three games per team, sources said.

The obsession with extending the regular season annoys me a thousand times more than adding another playoff team who's usually gonna be 9-7, maybe 10-6 anyway.  Plus if you're gonna go to 17, where is the 17th going to be, is literally every team going to just have a neutral site game in London/Mexico/Toronto?

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The obsession with extending the regular season annoys me a thousand times more than adding another playoff team who's usually gonna be 9-7, maybe 10-6 anyway.  Plus if you're gonna go to 17, where is the 17th going to be, is literally every team going to just have a neutral site game in London/Mexico/Toronto?

I suppose they can just alternate 16 teams every year getting 9 home and 8 away games...but yea I'm thinking it will be a neutral site 17th game. Not necessarily overseas though. 

• 4 weeks later...

Some insane sh!t going down today amidst the COVID-19 craziness- DeAndre Hopkins and a 4 to Arizona for David Johnson and a 2, (I have no idea what Houston is thinking, but I’m even more grateful the Dolphins have their 2021 1 AND 2 than I was when I woke up this morning), DeForest Buckner to Indy for a 1.... Fins signed Ereck Flowers, who hopefully will be reprising his days as a Washington Redskin, and not a NY Giant..... Fins also signed Shaq Lawson. Lots of activity. 

Jets needed an offensive lineman badly and didn't seal the deal with Conklin or Glasgow. PATHETIC

I understand they can get a really good one with their draft slot, but do you really want to have no choice but to get one? What about protecting Darnold?

Lots of smoke but no fire so far with the Jets. They're in on Clowney, on Van Noy. But nothing

4 hours ago, '7' said:

Jets needed an offensive lineman badly and didn't seal the deal with Conklin or Glasgow. PATHETIC

I understand they can get a really good one with their draft slot, but do you really want to have no choice but to get one? What about protecting Darnold?

Lots of smoke but no fire so far with the Jets. They're in on Clowney, on Van Noy. But nothing

Well we got another second tier tackle in George Fant, hopefully Douglas is better at getting the second-tier guys than Maccagnan was.  

25 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yep this is going to be a Favre type end

Or a Brodeur or Babe Ruth-type end.

I can't blame the Pats for not rolling the dice on a guy who's about to turn 43, even if that player was clearly one of the best to play in his era (I don't believe in cross-era comparisons...the game changes too much over time for any such comparisons to truly be apple-to-apple).  This day was going to come, and soon.  All Pats fans will miss him, but just like with Marty, I got all of his best, all of his peak years, and what will likely be all of his championships.  He doesn't owe me a thing.  

15 hours ago, '7' said:

Wow Miami going all out for Van Noy. 4 years 51 million!

That may be my favorite signing that we’ve made, including the Byron Jones deal.... Flores wanted him bad. 

Edited by MadDog2020

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m dancing the jig I’ve been waiting to dance since around 2002 or so.... finally.

The funny thing is that I'm sure there were be people who automatically assume that since BB is still the coach, that the train will just keep runnin'.

As you know with Marino, and we BOTH know with Marty...that guy who can even be a fraction of what the outgoing greats were is often very difficult to find.  I can't fully rule out the Pats could find a way to stay relevant without Brady, but I also can't rule out that it could be a middling QB carousel for a while.  But at any rate, Father Time has been nipping at Brady's heels for a while now.  Pats fans were lucky to see this last as long as it did...never in a million years could have I asked TB to win a sixth Super Bowl at 41, and play for the Pats until he was 42.  

The guy that I will be very focused on for a while will be Brees, because he's a very interesting "next case", as far as the aging-but-still-effective phenomenon goes.  40 years old, showing zero signs of decline (much like Brady at the same age), and has the luxury of playing in a lot of dome games.  How long can HE last?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Or a Brodeur or Babe Ruth-type end.

I can't blame the Pats for not rolling the dice on a guy who's about to turn 43, even if that player was clearly one of the best to play in his era (I don't believe in cross-era comparisons...the game changes too much over time for any such comparisons to truly be apple-to-apple).  This day was going to come, and soon.  All Pats fans will miss him, but just like with Marty, I got all of his best, all of his peak years, and what will likely be all of his championships.  He doesn't owe me a thing.  

I think it’s more Favre cause Favre still was good enough to get to pick his spot (after the Jet stopover) and had 1.5 good seasons of football left while Marty when he left was clearly done and had minuscule interest around the league. Brady probably has at least one above average-good year in him since he’s a cyborg but who knows.

Edited by NJDevs4978

30 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I think it’s more Favre cause Favre still was good enough to get to pick his spot (after the Jet stopover) and had 1.5 good seasons of football left while Marty when he left was clearly done and had minuscule interest around the league. Brady probably has at least one above average-good year in him since he’s a cyborg but who knows.

It's tricky with Brady...easy to forget that he started last season red hot and looking like he could play until he was 55, and by season's end seemed to be declining by the week.  I'm not sure who the real 43-year-old Brady is going to be...I could see him starting off hot again, everyone making a big deal out of that, and then him fading in November and December.  If someone wants to pay him a ton, OK, but I just don't know how anyone could expect ANY 43-year-old QB to not be a question mark, even with one of the best resumes ever to his name.  

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

That may be my favorite signing that we’ve made, including the Byron Jones deal.... Flores wanted him bad. 

Until I see results, I'm going to remind myself of all the other times in the past ten years or so when the Dolphins appeared to have won free agency and ended up missing the playoffs when having a coach that everyone liked for the first year and a half. 

I've pretty much made up my mind that the Dolphins need to end up with Tua.  Maybe the Dolphins get really lucky and can sign Brady to a two year deal, and Tua sits on the bench for that time and can really get healthy and learn whatever he needs to learn. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Until I see results, I'm going to remind myself of all the other times in the past ten years or so when the Dolphins appeared to have won free agency and ended up missing the playoffs when having a coach that everyone liked for the first year and a half. 

I've pretty much made up my mind that the Dolphins need to end up with Tua.  Maybe the Dolphins get really lucky and can sign Brady to a two year deal, and Tua sits on the bench for that time and can really get healthy and learn whatever he needs to learn. 

No reminders necessary for me.... I haven’t forgotten past failures. But I will be cautiously optimistic, and hope for the best. I agree we need Tua. I’d love a Brady/Tua combo, but that will never happen.

Edited by MadDog2020

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

No reminders necessary.... I haven’t forgotten past failures. I agree we need Tua. I’d love a Brady/Tua combo, but that will never happen.

I was poo-pooing the idea of Brady coming to Miami, but it does make a certain amount of sense.  Miami is probably the most desirable city of plausible landing spots from the celebrity aspect of his life.  It seems like half of the stuff at Michigan has Ross's name on it.  And there's the possibility that the roster could be looking good by the time the draft is over, but not so good that Brady can say he really can carry a team all by himself.  Adding Tua on top of that would be perfect for both sides, although perhaps they only do it the Chargers don't leapfrog them.  Who knows, maybe they could package their two firsts or something like that to move up and draft Lamb or Jeudy. 

• Like 1

Get the feeling the Pats might finally be entering a 2 or 3-year tear down/retool stretch...due to their cap situation (they're almost capped out), they may not have that much of a choice...not like they have money to bring in sorely-needed offensive weapons.  I'm just curious as to how far they plan to go with it.  9-7 or 10-6 "competitive"?  Based on some of the guys that they kept (McCourty, etc), it does seem like they're trying to go halfway at the moment, even though not much points to them being able to pull that off.  Curious how much that BB believes in Stidham.  The only way any kind of "halfway" scenario is going to work is if Stidham can step in and be solid right away.  I hear names like Andy Dalton of course...if the Pats actually were to do that (and not sure how they could without clearing cap space), that to me would be the equivalent of bringing in a Ryan Fitzpatrick type...a stopgap for a year or two while you do some tearing down, and try to get some good young and not-too-pricey bodies (via the draft) into the fold...and stock up on some picks.   

Todd Gurley and Matthews released from the Rams. They traded the farm to get Ramsey thinking they were in win-now mode, now they are tearing the entire team down they literally have nobody outside of Kupp or AD. the Rams GM has made nothing but stupid move after stupid moves the last 10 years it's almost comical at this point.