NFL 2020 - Off-season, Rumors, Draft etc

'7'

On 3/27/2020 at 8:43 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's silly to threaten people with discipline for speaking their minds on the issue if that's what he's actually saying (never ever trust a journalist).  That said, I think it's great that the the league is going ahead with the draft as scheduled and I love the form it looks like it's going to take; very little in the way of bells and whistles and making it an event like the Oscars, and making it about football content for real football fans, especially when there has been no meaningful sports content for a month and may not be for several more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Big one here. Out of nowhere.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001110390/article/patriots-to-trade-rob-gronkowski-to-buccaneers

Tom Brady is in a new home, and a familiar face is joining him for a play date.

Rob Gronkowski is coming out of retirement to again play in the NFL, but he'll be doing so in Tampa. The New England Patriots are trading Gronkowski and a seventh-round pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for a fourth-round pick in the 2020 draft, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Looks like Tampa is really going all in.

Just like with Brady, no hard feelings about Gronk.  Guy gave everything he had while he was a Patriot.  And earned some rings. I truly wish both Brady and Gronk the best.  

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Dolphins did not screw this up

For once! We finally have our QB. Only took 20 years..... just hope he can stay healthy. I’m legit over the moon though. I’ve wanted Tua for the last two years.

Edited by MadDog2020

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

For once! We finally have our QB. Only took 20 years..... just hope he can stay healthy. I’m legit over the moon though. I’ve wanted Tua for the last two years.

Phins fans every time Tua gets hit his first season...

image.gif.8a19accc9d8d152db29ee3c7521e31ee.gif

No, but seriously, good for you guys. I’m pretty ecstatic about the Bengals new QB as well. 

• Like 1

Of course despite being exhausted, I stayed up to see what the Pats were going to do...only to see BB trade down for a 2nd and a 3rd (he now has four third-rounders).  

Curious if BB had any interest in Jordan Love, and thought that he'd still be available at 37.  

Really looks and feels like all of the other AFC East teams are trending up.  Could be one of those years where everyone beats up on each other in the East, with the division winner winning 9 - 10 games, and the worst team winning 6 or 7 games.  And it won't surprise me that much if the Pats finish 8-8 or worse.  

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Phins fans every time Tua gets hit his first season...

image.gif.8a19accc9d8d152db29ee3c7521e31ee.gif

No, but seriously, good for you guys. I’m pretty ecstatic about the Bengals new QB as well. 

Honestly, I’d be just fine with him sitting for a year. There’s absolutely no rush, and I wanna make sure that Tua is 110% healthy and ready to go before he steps on the field.

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Of course despite being exhausted, I stayed up to see what the Pats were going to do...only to see BB trade down for a 2nd and a 3rd (he now has four third-rounders).  

Curious if BB had any interest in Jordan Love, and thought that he'd still be available at 37.  

I still think Dalton makes sense for you guys as a bridge QB. And the Pats definitely have the draft capital to send us a mid round pick for him. His contract is pretty affordable, too. 17m for a veteran QB with a winning record isn’t bad. There’s also still the possibility of Cam. I can’t see Belichick being interested in the turnover machine that is Jameis Winston. 

Jacob Eason and Jake Fromm are still on the board, too. 

Doesn't seem like BB has any interest at all in the vets who are currently available (Dalton, Newton, etc).  

Could be that he will give Stidham a year to see what's he got, and if BB isn't convinced that Stidham is a guy that he can win with, then he'll take a QB with next year's first-rounder.  I know no one up in NE would ever say this, but I think BB and Co realize that with damned near no cap space and not nearly enough talent on offense, they are simply going to have to take a step back this year...I don't think that they can smoke-and-mirror their way to another 12+ win season in 2020.  That means instead of trying to eke out a 10-win season with a guy like Dalton as the QB (and that's if everything breaks completely right), maybe you're better off seeing what Stidham has, en route to 5 - 8 wins.  The Pats haven't had a losing season in forever...it is going to happen eventually.  It really is not the end of the world if this is the year where they're finally not a legit SB contender heading into the season.  

Guys like Gilmore and Thuney should be on the table...not saying that you give them away, but you gotta listen. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Doesn't seem like BB has any interest at all in the vets who are currently available (Dalton, Newton, etc).  

Could be that he will give Stidham a year to see what's he got, and if BB isn't convinced that Stidham is a guy that he can win with, then he'll take a QB with next year's first-rounder.  I know no one up in NE would ever say this, but I think BB and Co realize that with damned near no cap space and not nearly enough talent on offense, they are simply going to have to take a step back this year...I don't think that they can smoke-and-mirror their way to another 12+ win season in 2020.  That means instead of trying to eke out a 10-win season with a guy like Dalton as the QB (and that's if everything breaks completely right), maybe you're better off seeing what Stidham has, en route to 5 - 8 wins.  The Pats haven't had a losing season in forever...it is going to happen eventually.  It really is not the end of the world if this is the year where they're finally not a legit SB contender heading into the season.  

Guys like Gilmore and Thuney should be on the table...not saying that you give them away, but you gotta listen. 

A lot of Bengals fans really wanted Thuney, and were disappointed when you guys tagged him. 

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

A lot of Bengals fans really wanted Thuney, and were disappointed when you guys tagged him. 

He's a guy with serious value.  Obviously the Dolphins haven't won anything yet, but they committed hard to a plan and a rebuild and did the best that they could to put themselves in a position to put pieces in place to contend.  I think the Pats are in a similar place now, where they should come up with a similar plan.  And as the Dolphins showed, you can still TRY with what you have and not just completely tank, and see how it shakes out, as long as you have multiple picks to play with.  

I can't speak for the Patriot fanbase, as I don't know how they're feeling, but any fans who might bitch about the Pats taking a step back in 2020 need to STFU.  The gravy train eventually comes to a hard stop.  As we saw with Lou's final years, sometimes even with the very best of intentions, the worst thing you can do is try to Band-Aid and prop up something that is no longer viable.  Yeah, there's probably ways to keep the Pats winning 9 or 10 games in 2020, and maybe even beyond...but it still feels like a crash is coming.  Why delay what feels like it's inevitable?  Pats fans just saw two friggin' DECADES of winning football and several championships...we can suck it up for 2-3 years and accept that just like every other franchise, that due to the circumstances that eventually affect EVERYONE else, we can take our turn in the barrel and hope that by 2022 or 2023, that BB will have created another window where it looks like the Pats might have another run...it sure as hell won't be for 20 years, but most football fans would be happy with 3-5 years of "It will be tough, but we've got a real shot here!"  

If Stidham winds up being the QB, I really feel for him...always very difficult to follow a legend.  If anything, if Stidham fails or BB just doesn't think he's the guy, at least the next QB will come into a far easier situation...suddenly the new guy's only following Stidham.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's a guy with serious value.  Obviously the Dolphins haven't won anything yet, but they committed hard to a plan and a rebuild and did the best that they could to put themselves in a position to put pieces in place to contend.  I think the Pats are in a similar place now, where they should come up with a similar plan.  And as the Dolphins showed, you can still TRY with what you have and not just completely tank, and see how it shakes out, as long as you have multiple picks to play with.  

I can't speak for the Patriot fanbase, as I don't know how they're feeling, but any fans who might bitch about the Pats taking a step back in 2020 need to STFU.  The gravy train eventually comes to a hard stop.  As we saw with Lou's final years, sometimes even with the very best of intentions, the worst thing you can do is try to Band-Aid and prop up something that is no longer viable.  Yeah, there's probably ways to keep the Pats winning 9 or 10 games in 2020, and maybe even beyond...but it still feels like a crash is coming.  Why delay what feels like it's inevitable?  Pats fans just saw two friggin' DECADES of winning football and several championships...we can suck it up for 2-3 years and accept that just like every other franchise, that due to the circumstances that eventually affect EVERYONE else, we can take our turn in the barrel and hope that by 2022 or 2023, that BB will have created another window where it looks like the Pats might have another run...it sure as hell won't be for 20 years, but most football fans would be happy with 3-5 years of "It will be tough, but we've got a real shot here!"  

If Stidham winds up being the QB, I really feel for him...always very difficult to follow a legend.  If anything, if Stidham fails or BB just doesn't think he's the guy, at least the next QB will come into a far easier situation...suddenly the new guy's only following Stidham.  

Wonder if BB would have any interest in Josh Rosen. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to 90 years old.  That's a plenty full life.  Good for him.  RIP.

• 2 weeks later...

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-york-giants-deandre-baker-seattle-seahawks-quinton-dunbar-armed-robbery-assault-charges-florida-nfl-233111543.html

Two NFL cornerbacks are facing multiple charges after an incident at a party on Wednesday night in South Florida.

The New York Giants Deandre Baker and Seattle Seahawks Quinton Dunbar are each facing four counts of armed robbery with a firearm, while Baker is facing an additional four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm, after the two allegedly robbed guests at a party in Miramar, Florida, the Miramar police department said on Thursday.

Insane story here. Unfathomable stupidity. And he was the Giants 1st round pick last year. Going to end up another strike against Gettleman and another black mark on the Giants franchise

Edited by '7'

16 hours ago, '7' said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-york-giants-deandre-baker-seattle-seahawks-quinton-dunbar-armed-robbery-assault-charges-florida-nfl-233111543.html

Insane story here. Unfathomable stupidity. And he was the Giants 1st round pick last year. Going to end up another strike against Gettleman and another black mark on the Giants franchise

This is fvcking insanity..... what in the hell could either one of these guys been thinking?! They just threw their lives away, let alone their careers. 

• 1 month later...

New York Giants kicker arrested in hit-and-run investigation, police say

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/us/new-york-giants-kicker-rosas-arrested/index.html

(CNN)New York Giants kicker Aldrick Rosas was arrested and charged with misdemeanor hit-and-run and driving on a suspended license in Butte County, California, on Monday, according to a California Highway Patrol report.

Rosas was driving his black Chevrolet SUV at 100 mph when he failed to stop at a red light and T-boned a Ford pickup truck, according to the report. Witnesses told investigators that the driver attempted to drive away from the crash site when his SUV broke down. He then fled from the scene on foot, the report states.

• 2 months later...

Frustrating start for the Dolphins. Run defense sucked balls (NE had over 200 on the ground). O-line was surprisingly pretty good (especially when you consider we had two rookie starters in Austin Jackson and Solomon Kindley), but Fitzpatrick was atrocious (3 picks). A couple more Fitz performances like this and it will be Tua time. 

Edited by MadDog2020

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Frustrating start for the Dolphins. Run defense sucked balls (NE had over 200 on the ground). O-line was surprisingly pretty good (especially when you consider we had two rookie starters in Austin Jackson and Solomon Kindley), but Fitzpatrick was atrocious (3 picks). A couple more Fitz performances like this and it will be Tua time. 

Don’t know about you, but today felt very...odd.  Just off.  For me, seeing the Pats in their “new” unis (they’ve gone to their color rush look full-time, with a white jersey version to debut later this year), no fans in the stands, and Cam Newton as the QB added greatly to that feeling.  

Yeah, Fitz is Fitz.  He has his good moments, but then there’s the bad ones.  And there’s been plenty of those.

• Like 1

And it’s obviously way too early to say, but based on the very small sample I’ve seen so far, Brady looks like the guy who sure appeared to be on the decline as last season wore on.  Even when you’ll go down as one of the best ever to play the game, it’s really hard to bet on a 43-year-old not to see his game significantly slide.