NFL 2020 - Off-season, Rumors, Draft etc

'7'

Two reasons I'm glad that the Pats are finishing up so feebly down the stretch:

1) It makes it very easy to turn them off.  Like I've always said, there's a big difference between a team loaded with young talent that is figuring out how to put it all together, and one that is playing out the string and has nothing going on.  The young team can at least be entertaining, and give you reasons for hope, even if they're not lighting it up in the win column.  The Pats have had some good games, but mostly they've been borderline unwatchable (especially with Cam sucking and having no one to throw to on top of being lousy).  I'm not missing anything at the moment...last night went exactly as I expected it to...these guys look like they've finally just completely quit (and injuries aren't helping).  

2) BB HAS to see that this is not a team missing a piece or two or three...they are now well behind the Dolphins and Bills, who both appear to have found QBs that should be good for a while (of course nothing is ever set in stone, things sometimes can and do happen, but I'm operating under the assumption that both teams should expect above-average QB performance for at least 5 more years).  The lone reason to resist a proper rebuild at this point would be pure stubborness/inability to see that this run is truly and finally over (especially without bad AFC East opponents to beat up on).

Time to start stocking up on picks, selling high on what they can, and saying goodbye to the old guard (sorry Edelman...thank you for everything, but this team needs to start moving on from its past, and you'll be 35 by next season).  And like I've said, any Pats fans who have an issue with stepping into the Irrelevance Barrel for a few years need to STFU.  Every team finds itself here eventually...but rarely do they get to enjoy such an extended run of success...it was a blast while it lasted, but it's as over as over can be.  Get ready for a couple of 5-win or less seasons...if that's the beginning of a clear plan to becoming younger, cheaper, and competitive by 2024, I'm all for it.   

50 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So apparently Fitz has COVID...damn, as much as I root against the Dolphins you can't help but like the dude and he really can't catch a break vis-a-vis Week 17 games in Buffalo

Just glad Tua wasn’t deemed a close contact after they did all of the contact tracing. The Dolphins apparently followed all of the protocols, which is good to hear. Obviously the season is over if Jake Rudock sees the field at all on Sunday.

@MadDog2020

What do you think the Dolphins do with that #3 pick? I’m trying to convince myself Penei Sewell will still be there at 5 for the Bengals. If the Jags and Jets both take QB’s, and the Falcons go defense (maybe Parsons), then you guys are the wild card. I feel like maybe one of the WR’s? Give Tua a top weapon. If we can’t get Sewell I’m actually hoping to reunite Burrow with Ja’Marr Chase. 

• Like 1

What Pederson did in the last quarter, welp that was...something :lol:

I actually don't have a big problem with it unless this was something dictated by management to take a dive for a higher pick but if he wants to evaluate his third-stringer for a quarter to see if he should be on the team (I think he got that answer loud and clear), vaya con dios.

Edited by NJDevs4978

33 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

@MadDog2020

What do you think the Dolphins do with that #3 pick? I’m trying to convince myself Penei Sewell will still be there at 5 for the Bengals. If the Jags and Jets both take QB’s, and the Falcons go defense (maybe Parsons), then you guys are the wild card. I feel like maybe one of the WR’s? Give Tua a top weapon. If we can’t get Sewell I’m actually hoping to reunite Burrow with Ja’Marr Chase. 

We better get weapons for Tua. That’s what this whole offseason has to revolve around. With the #3 pick, you really have to draft the BPA regardless of position; when you pick that high and have a shot at elite talent, you go BPA. That said- as good as I’m sure Sewell is, if we draft corn with a top 5 pick again, I may have a stroke. We draft corn in the first or second round every year. Not that we don’t need more corn, but I really want Ja’Marr Chase or Devonte Smith with the #3 pick; or maybe some QB desperate team wants to get in front of Atlanta for Fields or Wilson, and is insane enough to make us a Godfather offer. That would be good too. Maybe you guys want Sewell enough that Mike Brown picks up the phone and gives Grier a call. I haven’t even mentioned the possibility of Micah Parsons, which I’m also open to at 3; we need help on defense too, particularly at LB. Lots of possibilities. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

We better get weapons for Tua. That’s what this whole offseason has to revolve around. With the #3 pick, you really have to draft the BPA regardless of position; when you pick that high and have a shot at elite talent, you go BPA. That said- as good as I’m sure Sewell is, if we draft corn with a top 5 pick again, I may have a stroke. We draft corn in the first or second round every year. Not that we don’t need more corn, but I really want Ja’Marr Chase or Devonte Smith with the #3 pick; or maybe some QB desperate team wants to get in front of Atlanta for Fields or Wilson, and is insane enough to make us a Godfather offer. That would be good too. Maybe you guys want Sewell enough that Mike Brown picks up the phone and gives Grier a call. I haven’t even mentioned the possibility of Micah Parsons, which I’m also open to at 3; we need help on defense too, particularly at LB. Lots of possibilities. 

Is corn some type of slang for OL that I’m not aware of? Lol

MD2020...did yesterday take any of the luster off this season for you?  Hopefully not.  Was still a solid year, big stepping stone season, and I'm sure it was an entertaining one for you.  And you have a #3 overall pick to boot (Pats pick 15th).

As long as Cam is gone, I can definitely live with the Pats finally going through a losing season (and what will likely be another one next year).  Just don't try to sell me on a season-ending win for Cam as having any reason to bring him back next season (I can see BB doing this).  Guy was held to less than 200 passing yards in 10 out of 15 games.  Yeah, I know, he can run a little...whoop-de-dam-doo.  As much as I'd rather just see the Pats draft and try to develop a QB, I can live with a guy like Stafford, if BB insists on bringing in another vet.  He's light-years ahead of Cam.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MD2020...did yesterday take any of the luster off this season for you?  Hopefully not.

Not really. It was very disappointing obviously, but it was a great season, we took some big strides, and we have a bunch of picks and cap space to work with. Get Tua some weapons and let’s ride. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not really. It was very disappointing obviously, but it was a great season, we took some big strides, and we have a bunch of picks and cap space to work with. Get Tua some weapons and let’s ride. 

Yeah best way to look at it.  Especially since they weren't likely to make a deep run this season anyway, had they made it in...Tua needs more seasoning, and they need more pieces. 

Dolphins have 4 picks in the Top 50 (3rd, 18th, 36th, and 50th)...gotta be lovin that.  

Pats highest picks are 15th and 47th.  They have a compensatory 3rd and three in the 4th round (two compensatory).  Get the feeling BB will trade that 15th down...he's the king of trading down.  Would rather see him deal off some current players for picks (no matter how I look at it, it just feels like it's 100% time to blow it up).  But guys who are used to winning for a while sometimes think they can squeeze one last miracle out of his group...more and more I think he's going to try to make it happen for next season.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

What Pederson did in the last quarter, welp that was...something :lol:

I actually don't have a big problem with it unless this was something dictated by management to take a dive for a higher pick but if he wants to evaluate his third-stringer for a quarter to see if he should be on the team (I think he got that answer loud and clear), vaya con dios.

I don't think the Eagles ever truly stopped playing, quit on the game, didn't play hard...they did. Just wanted to evaluate certain guys and that's their right. QB just happened to be one of them but I'm sure there were others in other positions (had the game on mute) who sat so inferior 2nd and 3rd stringers could play a bit. Eagles have been the walking wounded all season anyway. Eagles don't owe the Giants anything

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

I don't think the Eagles ever truly stopped playing, quit on the game, didn't play hard...they did. Just wanted to evaluate certain guys and that's their right. QB just happened to be one of them but I'm sure there were others in other positions (had the game on mute) who sat so inferior 2nd and 3rd stringers could play a bit. Eagles have been the walking wounded all season anyway. Eagles don't owe the Giants anything

When you finish the season with a 6-10 record, you definitely don't get to complain about not getting in, regardless of the circumstances.  At 5-7, they had a shot at respectability, and a legit shot to win the division.  They then lost three in a row.  Just no case to be made for them having been screwed.  

49 minutes ago, '7' said:

No but they owe their own players and fans an apology.  I didn't think it was a tank job last night because I just didn't see the point, to go from 9 to 6 is worth being a national joke?!  I made the argument last night that they didn't have a preseason so this was their preseason game but what the hell is the point of putting in Sudfeld for one quarter when you're also sitting Sanders, Goedert, DeSean and Jeffery?  That's a bag job, I'm sorry and he clearly pulled the rug out from his players who were playing their ass off to be spoiler and to impress people on national TV.

Even just putting in Sudfeld wasn't bad, but to keep him in after those two turnovers - my goodness.  I'm not even sure it's Pederson that deserves to get dragged, he's just taking the bullet for the organization a la Kevin Cash with his early hooks in the playoffs.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

No but they owe their own players and fans an apology.  I didn't think it was a tank job last night because I just didn't see the point, to go from 9 to 6 is worth being a national joke?!  I made the argument last night that they didn't have a preseason so this was their preseason game but what the hell is the point of putting in Sudfeld for one quarter when you're also sitting Sanders, Goedert, DeSean and Jeffery?  That's a bag job, I'm sorry and he clearly pulled the rug out from his players who were playing their ass off to be spoiler.

Even just putting in Sudfeld wasn't bad, but to keep him in after those two turnovers - my goodness.  I'm not even sure it's Pederson that deserves to get dragged, he's just taking the bullet for the organization a la Kevin Cash with his early hooks in the playoffs.  

The bolded is fair for sure.