GDT: Devil's Vs Aren't we playing the Sharks in like 10 minutes?

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Cory has two more years after this one.  Frankly, I think I would rather just let him be our backup for the next two years than buy him out.  It looks like we will largely be basement dweller for those years that will barely be above the cap floor.  Why prolong his cap hit with a buyout when the next two years are irrelevant anyways?

The scoring issues to me underscores my belief that this team needs a complete teardown.  Palms production is not all that as hard to replace as many on here make it out to be.  Would I hate the fact that he is still here?  No, not by any means.  However, I don't think the benefits are all that great either.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Cory has two more years after this one.  Frankly, I think I would rather just let him be our backup for the next two years than buy him out.  It looks like we will largely be basement dweller for those years that will barely be above the cap floor.  Why prolong his cap hit with a buyout when the next two years are irrelevant anyways?

The scoring issues to me underscores my belief that this team needs a complete teardown.  Palms production is not all that as hard to replace as many on here make it out to be.  Would I hate the fact that he is still here?  No, not by any means.  However, I don't think the benefits are all that great either.

I'm fine with not buying him out but I'd rather let him rot as a backup in Binghamton. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

image.gif.7a22f68cd940c76ac5e08dfd6e8fd7a0.gif

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Who says the next two years are irrelevant and are going to suck?  I mentioned this in another thread - look at the Avs.  From basically dead last to almost #1 in 3 seasons, and they didn't even get two number one picks like we did.  I'd also argue that our goalie is better than any they have, perhaps by a considerable margin. 

28 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Who says the next two years are irrelevant and are going to suck?  I mentioned this in another thread - look at the Avs.  From basically dead last to almost #1 in 3 seasons, and they didn't even get two number one picks like we did.  I'd also argue that our goalie is better than any they have, perhaps by a considerable margin. 

Fitz himself said it this past weekend after the two trades that the next 2 years will be rebuilding years.

The Avs had 90 and 82 points in the previous 2 years to their terrible season.  They also had better pieces in both the NHL and their prospect pool than what we have now.  Of course that can all change with the Devils but the Avalanche were in a better position after that season than we are now.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Fitz himself said it this past weekend after the two trades that the next 2 years will be rebuilding years.

The Avs had 90 and 82 points in the previous 2 years to their terrible season.  They also had better pieces in both the NHL and their prospect pool than what we have now.  Of course that can all change with the Devils but the Avalanche were in a better position after that season than we are now.

Hmm, I heard him say once, maybe twice, that we would be "competitive".  To me, that's different than rebuilding. If he said both things, then that makes me lose confidence in him and that he knows what he's doing.  

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hmm, I heard him say once, maybe twice, that we would be "competitive".  To me, that's different than rebuilding. If he said both things, then that makes me lose confidence in him and that he knows what he's doing.  

“I don’t think we’re going to snap our fingers and it’s going to be next year that we’re contending for the Stanley Cup, or the year after,” Fitzgerald said. He went on to say that he hoped the Devils could “scratch and claw to that point of (making the) playoffs” next season, and while I give him points for honesty, try slapping that on a billboard.

https://www.nj.com/devils/2020/02/the-devils-have-to-stop-rebuilding-eventually-dont-they-politi.html

I guess you can consider hoping to scratch and claw your way to the playoffs to be competitive.

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

“I don’t think we’re going to snap our fingers and it’s going to be next year that we’re contending for the Stanley Cup, or the year after,” Fitzgerald said. He went on to say that he hoped the Devils could “scratch and claw to that point of (making the) playoffs” next season, and while I give him points for honesty, try slapping that on a billboard.

https://www.nj.com/devils/2020/02/the-devils-have-to-stop-rebuilding-eventually-dont-they-politi.html

I guess you can consider hoping to scratch and claw your way to the playoffs to be competitive.

Wow.  That's a bit disappointing.  I still think he's contradicting himself a bit, but I guess we'll see. 

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

lUPqCzcNi1M.jpg

understand your position, but we all see how our team is build and ruined at the same time few times in a row. And big part of that ruining was Cory. We cant built the team when team cant get together on ice when cory is on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I wouldn’t say Nico and Jack are all they have to build around. I think it’s becoming more and more clear we have our goalie in Mac. That’s 3 nice young pieces. Bratt is a keeper, imo. Ty Smith is still only 19, and could be ready soon. And with the amount of d prospects they have in the system now it’s likely at least one or two will pan out. Foote is a sniper so we already know where one will be coming from. And we should get a really good prospect in the top 7 this year as well. 

I shouldn't of left out Blackwood as a solid piece going forward.  I think his development is progressing pretty rapidly.  Nico I think is a guy you can count on to be a good NHL player and Jack hopefully can as well.  I do think Jack will take another 2+ seasons to hit full stride and is dependent on surrounding him with finishers.  I just haven't been impressed at all this season.  However certainly not writing him off either. 

It's often mentioned well look who he's playing with.  I think that speaks volumes because I think you can look at almost every other guy on this roster and say well they're not awful, they aren't always good but they aren't killing this team and they even have glimpses of being pretty good.  Wood, Zacha, Zajac, Severson, Butcher, Bratt, Gusev.  The issue is the sum of the parts is a bottom 5 team.

Rooney, Anderson, Hayden, Carrick, Boqvist who knows but they look like roster fillers at this point.

Mueller, PK, Simmonds, Schneider can get shot into the sun

Palms and Vats bring value therefore may possibly be moved.

We need an entirely new coaching staff and GM imo. I wouldn't give the keys to Shero Jr.

3 minutes ago, Guadana said:

understand your position, but we all see how our team is build and ruined at the same time few times in a row. And big part of that ruining was Cory. We cant built the team when team cant get together on ice when cory is on.

Cory is already ruined and the present team as-is are not much better.  Buying out Cory is not the worst thing in the world as we will likely have plenty of cap space still available coming up in the next 2-4 years, but I would rather have him off of our cap sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

I shouldn't of left out Blackwood as a solid piece going forward.  I think his development is progressing pretty rapidly.  Nico I think is a guy you can count on to be a good NHL player and Jack hopefully can as well.  I do think Jack will take another 2+ seasons to hit full stride and is dependent on surrounding him with finishers.  I just haven't been impressed at all this season.  However certainly not writing him off either. 

It's often mentioned well look who he's playing with.  I think that speaks volumes because I think you can look at almost every other guy on this roster and say well they're not awful, they aren't always good but they aren't killing this team and they even have glimpses of being pretty good.  Wood, Zacha, Zajac, Severson, Butcher, Bratt, Gusev.  The issue is the sum of the parts is a bottom 5 team.

Rooney, Anderson, Hayden, Carrick, Boqvist who knows but they look like roster fillers at this point.

Mueller, PK, Simmonds, Schneider can get shot into the sun

Palms and Vats bring value therefore may possibly be moved.

We need an entirely new coaching staff and GM imo. I wouldn't give the keys to Shero Jr.

I have liked what I have seen from Fitz so far.  He isn't blowing smoke up anyone's asses and he seems to not try to over-think situations with an example being the Coleman trade.  There are GM's who probably would have blown that based on trying to eek out that extra something and he didn't.

Hynes Jr. needs to go at the very least though.  Nas does nothing for me and this team.

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Cory is already ruined and the present team as-is are not much better.  Buying out Cory is not the worst thing in the world as we will likely have plenty of cap space still available coming up in the next 2-4 years, but I would rather have him off of our cap sooner rather than later.

The biggest part of it is what owners think about that. We may want cory out as faster as can because he is a cancer or we may want to stay him because 4 years in cap and we definitetly will not be contender this 2 years of his contract, but i think the first and last word goes from owners. This can be a reason  why cory`s thing is going on still. They lose their money for subbans scam. It may doesnt depends on Fitz. (anyway hope he will be playing coach for bingo`s goalies far far away from njd team).

Edited by Guadana