2/22 Caps and Mister 699 goals vs Devils 1PM

DevilMinder

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah im a bit conflicted here. I certainly enjoy wins and im thrilled for the guys but keeping the big picture in mind... we're also moving away from our best odds at getting a franchise changing player too. Though we could very well get one further down

But i mean... would the Pens or Caps trade getting Lemieux, Crosby or Ovechkin for a "good stretch late in the season to boost their moral" the year before? Are the Pens becoming this succesful with a younger group who learned how to win down a 20 games stretch with Bobby Ryan instead of Crosby you know? lol so i find the whole "they need to learn how to win" thing a bit insignificant when you look at it that way. Also games like this is the reason we got Zacha and not Marner.

But that's just me, its obviously not a bad thing to win. I guess it helps both ways cause if we win then good, and if we lose then good. 

it's just a very conflicting situation

Are you implying Lafrenière is even close to being on those guy’s level? 

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

The draft lottery in its current state doesn't reward the team who loses the most. Us winning it a few times has proven that. 

I want them to win as many games as possible.

Especially when 29 is in net. He deserves it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Are you implying Lafrenière is even close to being on those guy’s level? 

Nope not really the point.

Just saying that from my perspective i think the possibility of getting the "right" player is more important than pretending that it's somehow crucial that a group learn how to win during a specific 20 games stretch. They have their whole career for that.

Again, that's simply my personal opinion and i just think people saying it's more important are putting their own current feelings before the best for the long-term of the team.

It's just about hoping to be in the best position to possibly make the best decision for the best of the team.

When we won the lottery to get Larsson the team never gave up and we won and got away from the bottom but still won so who knows really

Edited by SterioDesign

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Nope not really the point.

Just saying that from my perspective i think the possibility of getting the "right" player is more important than pretending that it's somehow crucial that a group learn how to win during a specific 20 games stretch. 

Again, that's simply my personal opinion and i just think people saying it's more important are putting their own current feelings before the best for the long-term of the team. 

But it’s not just personal feelings, it’s wanting the kids to learn how to win, and not get complacent. 

The way I look at is I’m going to root for them to win every game, but if they don’t at least it helps our draft odds. Win-win. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I want them to win as many games as possible.

49570926961_61242df356_b.jpg

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The way I look at is I’m going to root for them to win every game, but if they don’t at least it helps our draft odds. Win-win. 

This is the exact correct feeling to have. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

But it’s not just personal feelings, it’s wanting the kids to learn how to win, and not get complacent. 

Well obviously. Like i said it's really conflicting. You always want to see your team win.

But these kids made it to the NHL lol it's not like they don't "know" how to win. I'm just really challenging that whole notion that they somehow "need to learn how to win"... and right now. Not really sure that's even a thing. If it is it's not something a good coach cannot work out. Those guys are athletes, they made it this far cause they always want to win and be the best.

It works both ways, you never see a top prospect sh!tting the bed on purpose so he drops in the rankings just to be drafted by a better team lol they always want to be the best they can.

I just truly don't think over the next 5 years that them "learning how to win a tough game late in a lost season in 2020" will have much of an impact vs getting the right player to win with them. Some of these kids did "learn how to win" when we went on that run with Hall..  well what about now? they unlearned? look at the sharks now? did they all unlearn how to win? no... it's about the players.. or more importantly.. it's about putting the right mix of players together with the right coaching staff

again just my 2 cents. there's no need to all agree with this. It's really a mentality that is filtered through personal values so right there people won't see it the same way depending on what they value the most

Edited by SterioDesign

Playing the lottery game is a loser mentality. That’s exactly what got us into this position. 

the Devils losing means players aren’t developing and the last two drafts where we were trying to increase our lottery odds were a bust. The hell with that. The devils would be much better off finishing strong and slotting into 10th overall than tanking and rolling the dice to win their third (fourth, really) lottery in the last ten years. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well obviously. Like i said it's really conflicting. You always want to see your team win.

But these kids made it to the NHL lol it's not like they don't "know" how to win. I'm just really challenging that whole notion that they somehow "need to learn how to win"... and right now. Not really sure that's even a thing. If it is it's not something a good coach cannot work out. Those guys are athletes, they made it this far cause they always want to win and be the best.

It works both ways, you never see a top prospect sh!tting the bed on purpose so he drops in the rankings just to be drafted by a better team lol they always want to be the best they can.

I just truly don't think over the next 5 years that them "learning how to win a tough game late in a lost season in 2020" will have much of an impact vs getting the right player to win with them. Some of these kids did "learn how to win" when we went on that run with Hall..  well what about now? they unlearned? look at the sharks now? did they all unlearn how to win? no... it's about the players.. or more importantly.. it's about putting the right mix of players together with the right coaching staff

again just my 2 cents. there's no need to all agree with this. It's really a mentality that is filtered through personal values so right there people won't see it the same way depending on what they value the most

Well, I don’t really think we have one of those right now. So I’d rather these kids win some games down the stretch, and build off of it going into next season, and feel good about themselves. Hughes in particular needs it. 

I kind of doubt we’ll jump many teams ahead of us anyway, so I’d rather win than gain a minuscule percentage of odds on the Wings, Sens, Kings, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Playing the lottery game is a loser mentality. That’s exactly what got us into this position. 

the Devils losing means players aren’t developing and the last two drafts where we were trying to increase our lottery odds were a bust. The hell with that. The devils would be much better off finishing strong and slotting into 10th overall than tanking and rolling the dice to win their third (fourth, really) lottery in the last ten years. 

How were they a bust? Nico is looking better and better all the time, and Jack is still a baby...

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Need to give Severson a little love. He’s one of only 4 players on the team that have played in every game this season, and his offense has been impressive lately. Probably never going to be much of a shutdown guy, but he’s good enough to be a key piece in this rebuild. Definitely gets more sh!t than he should here (I’m sure I’m guilty of it at times). I’d bet a lot of teams would like to have him. Especially on a pretty decent contract. 

Hes playing his best hockey the last few weeks, .. still makes the bone head pass and should have tied up Wilson stick on the tip in goal but overall hes been getting pucks out, good on the boards and his shot is sneaky good.. super pass by goose and nico owned those critical face offs. .. blackwood is soo000 technically sound ..Sweet victory

53 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Actually that's really not true. What got us in this position is years of going all out trying to win no matter what, no matter how low our chances at a cup was and not making decisions based on what was best for the the future of the team, re-stocking with picks and bet on our youngsters.

An aging bubble team no getting the best picks, not getting a return on walking UFAs and aging vets losing all their values and not giving much chances to our young guys was the problem.

That's why we got to the point where we were the oldest team in the league and absolutely no prospects or core to build around. And that's why it's taking thiiiiis long to rebuild cause we started from almost nothing. And why we need to hit on the best possible talent every year through draft to restock

It's precisely that "we must win now no matter what" mentality that got us there.

Edited by SterioDesign

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Let me also say, if we could have a 4th star Of the game, I nominate Connor Carrick for feeding Tom Wilson his stick in the first. I hate that fvcking guy. 

Nico outworking him to hold the puck in on the PP was the best. 

Just now, MB3 said:

who cares? we’re not going anywhere and that was the eighth time in the HISTORY OF THE SPORT someone scored their 700th goal. 

Seeing them all celebrate on the ice like that was silly....I'll be honest, I don't care much about the sport itself as the years have gone on. I only care about the Devils and thats pretty much all I watch besides the playoffs. 

Devils now 15-10-5 in their last 30 GP.

Blackwood...impossible not to be thrilled for that kid.  And what a difference not having rotten goaltending can make.

Can’t say that I’m a huge believer in Severson, but he is racking up a fair amount of points lately (5 G and 14 A in his last 26 GP).  Guess if he’s always going to be iffy in his own end, that’s easier to take if he’s pitching in more offensively.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2