Trade Deadline Thread Monday, Feb. 24. Time: 3 p.m. ET

Daniel

54 minutes ago, Joonas #6 said:

I don't follow the rumors that much so I have no idea if this has been mentioned at all, but some Finnish media is saying that Vatanen could be going to Toronto. But what the hell do they know?

More than Єklund (2.3% accurate) and The Fraud Period, probably

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jagknife said:

Elliotte Friedman said on Sportsnet he thinks (as we’ve already pretty much known) it will take something spectacular for us to trade Palms. He does think  Simmonds and Vats get traded.

That's not exactly breaking news on any front. 

As much as people now want to rush to cash out on Palm and Gusev to an extent, the main reason they cashed out on Coleman was Tampa was willing to give us basically two first-rounders for him.  If someone else wants to overpay with two first rounders plus another asset for Palm and/or he's not interested in re-signing here anyway, vaya con dios but you can't wantonly sell to the highest bidder just to get something back, you still have to ice a team next year and it's not going to be just AHL guys and scrubs.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

Just a reminder to everyone, I know its pure smack to be the first to post a breaking trade but always double check the source.

• On Twitter? Do they have a blue check mark, more than 10 followers?
  • on Facebook, its probably fake.
  • On the web, make sure its a legit site.

Deadline is 3pm but as of late there has been trades finalized after that.

• Like 3

"Severson has some skill but he sucks in the d-zone."

1218891963_Screenshot(1445).png.34a252474688dc73f0f45ab54e8333e2.png

"Palms is okay but easily replaceable."

713064262_Screenshot(1446).png.4443a63aa8178b899317db5598123f3e.png

Sometimes trading your best players is worth it, especially when you don't think you'll be competitive soon. But proceed with caution, what you give up will need to be replaced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

1218891963_Screenshot(1445).png.34a252474688dc73f0f45ab54e8333e2.png

713064262_Screenshot(1446).png.4443a63aa8178b899317db5598123f3e.png

Sometimes trading your best players is worth it, especially when you don't think you'll be competitive soon. But proceed with caution, what you give up will need to be replaced.

People say Palms is replaceable in the sense that there will be free agents available this summer who are just as good or arguably better than him.  Two of them include Chris Kreider and Mike Hoffman.  Dadanov is potentially another one.  And that doesn't take into account what you would get back in a trade for him.

• Shocking 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

People say Palms is replaceable in the sense that there will be free agents available this summer who are just as good or arguably better than him.  Two of them include Chris Kreider and Mike Hoffman.  Dadanov is potentially another one.  And that doesn't take into account what you would get back in a trade for him.

Except our chances of re-signing Palms are WAY higher than we have to sign someone in the offseason that could replace his production.

Also, his production is not enough. So we need to add to what we have.

Hopefully we'll get some good prospects in the draft and that our youngsters will take the next step cause i truly don't think free agency should and will be any help

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Except our chances of re-signing Palms are WAY higher than we have to sign someone in the offseason that could replace his production.

Also, his production is not enough. So we need to add to what we have.

Hopefully we'll get some good prospects in the draft and that our youngsters will take the next step cause i truly don't think free agency should and will be any help

I mean, if the Devils don't trade him, there's a good chance that he's expressed his clear desire to sign an extension this summer.

Otherwise, what the Devils have going for them this summer is that they have more money to spend than anyone, and the teams that usually go after the big fish won't be able to.  So they really can't be outbid for anyone if that's the route they want to go.

From all accounts, the Devils are playing this right in that they'll pull the trigger on an insane offer for Palmieri.  Maybe it's something like Palmieri for Hanifin, Calgary's first rounder not protected and some sort of manageable cap dump. 

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Wow dude, what to be all pretentious posting graphs and sh!t to illustrate a point. You think we need fancy graphs? /s

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, if the Devils don't trade him, there's a good chance that he's expressed his clear desire to sign an extension this summer.

Otherwise, what the Devils have going for them this summer is that they have more money to spend than anyone, and the teams that usually go after the big fish won't be able to.  So they really can't be outbid for anyone if that's the route they want to go.

From all accounts, the Devils are playing this right in that they'll pull the trigger on an insane offer for Palmieri.  Maybe it's something like Palmieri for Hanifin, Calgary's first rounder not protected and some sort of manageable cap dump. 

The whole “we have more money than anyone” so we’ll do better in free agency thing has already been disproven. There’s enough money out there that people can choose not to sign here even if we can’t be outbid. 

Re-signing Palmieri, who has already re-signed here once (yes, as an RFA but including 3 UFA years), is probably way more likely to happen. I am certain that will be pursued. 

That said, there’s no rush to trade him this year. If they bowl us over with a great offer, ok. But we’re fine to wait it out too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The whole “we have more money than anyone” so we’ll do better in free agency thing has already been disproven. There’s enough money out there that people can choose not to sign here even if we can’t be outbid. 

Re-signing Palmieri, who has already re-signed here once (yes, as an RFA but including 3 UFA years), is probably way more likely to happen. I am certain that will be pursued. 

That said, there’s no rush to trade him this year. If they bowl us over with a great offer, ok. But we’re fine to wait it out too. 

I suggest you go look at Capfriendly, and you'll see that there are maybe ten teams that have the cap space to sign even one big free agent, and by that, I mean someone you'll be paying more than $6 million AAV.  And of those ten teams, roughly four of them are not in a position where they would even want to sign any of them.

You're right that it takes two to tango.  This time around though there aren't that many dance partners for the players and the Devils could have the biggest wallet if they want to go to the ATM.  (See, there's more than one person who can make weird analogies here).

20 minutes ago, Daniel said:

i can't really argue against what's been done here cause it looks like they are willing to listen to offers and to weight the pros and cons of trading him. Ultimately going for what they think is best for the long-term.

im pretty sure like everyone knows that Palms will stay unless there's a crazy offer out there

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I suggest you go look at Capfriendly, and you'll see that there are maybe ten teams that have the cap space to sign even one big free agent, and by that, I mean someone you'll be paying more than $6 million AAV.  And of those ten teams, roughly four of them are not in a position where they would even want to sign any of them.

You're right that it takes two to tango.  This time around though there aren't that many dance partners for the players and the Devils could have the biggest wallet if they want to go to the ATM.  (See, there's more than one person who can make weird analogies here).

I don’t need to look, you proved my point. There’s 9 other teams who have the money. There’s plenty of options. 

6 hours ago, Joonas #6 said:

I don't follow the rumors that much so I have no idea if this has been mentioned at all, but some Finnish media is saying that Vatanen could be going to Toronto. But what the hell do they know?

At the very least, informed speculation suggests that Toronto could be a destination. 

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t need to look, you proved my point. There’s 9 other teams who have the money. There’s plenty of options. 

You didn't read the whole thing.  There are maybe ten teams that do, and of those ten teams maybe four of them are not going to be in the market to sign a big free agent based on the fact that they're clearly tearing everything down and how they operate.  These teams include Ottawa, LA, Minnesota, and Detroit. 

If it needs to be spelled out, there are two teams out there that have the cap space and need to spend on at least one big time free agent winger that are definitely more attractive destinations than the Devils, regardless of money; Colorado and Boston.  There are at least four wingers available as of now that are nearly as good, as good, or better than Palmieri, who include, Taylor Hall, MIke Hoffman, Chris Kreider, and Dadanov.  You can also add players like Mikael Granlund, Galchenyuk and Toffoli as a step below Palmieri but still adequate.  Based on the way things are looking now, if they wanted to, the Devils should be able to get one player from the first category and one player from the second category. 

I understand it's still unpredictable, but it definitely enters into the calculus if someone is coming to you with an extremely attempting offer for Palmieri.

Edited by Daniel

I don't see the size of the wallet the Devils will have means anything.  When have they shown the ability to lure a top free agent piece?  The overpaid PK by a sh!tton for what he is and same for the corpse of Simmonds.  I also continue to believe as a org they have no desire to be a top spending team or hell maybe even a top half team when it comes to the cap. They probably have more of a challenge in possibly hitting the floor although Nico's deal kicks in.  As a result I think there maybe higher odds they keep Cory going into next season rather than buying him out. Don't imagine they have the desire to piss that money away. 

53 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Every player in the league, save for maybe a handful is "replaceable" to some extent I suppose. Yeah, there are players as good as Kyle Palmieri in the NHL. But 1. Kyle Palmieri is already on our team and 2. my interpretation of some of the rhetoric I'm hearing is that Palms is rather easily replaceable. He's not. Severson is not. Coleman is not. And both Severson and Palms are very important to the Devils' roster. So were Greene and Coleman when they were here. Losing these players will set the Devils back significantly.  It might be right to trade these vets away, but let's not lose sight of that.

• Like 2