Trade Deadline Thread Monday, Feb. 24. Time: 3 p.m. ET

Daniel

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Hockey is a team sport, but yea lets place the blame on the doorstep if the 18 year old kid that people hyped up expectations for on a team of failures. 

Hes a fvcking bust. Everyone go home.

Getting 30 points in a season as the first overall pick is setting high expectations?

OK.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

How well do you expect players to develop when they win 15 games a year? Palms is one of our only goal scorers. Losing 90% of games like Detroit does nothing for their development. It turns us into Edmonton without McDavid. Players get better when they win.

Colorado has a historically terrible season 3 seasons ago.

They are now one of the favorites in the West.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded is where I think you're going off the rails.  You have Palms as somehow being guilty by association because he played on some bad teams while Shero was the GM.  That somehow keeping him around will taint the "new order" (however the team comes together under Fitz...another GM getting the job just seems like it would be a shock at this point).  I just can't agree with that take.  

There's plenty of other guys you can move on from, and we've already seen some of that (Hall, Greene, Coleman (somewhat painfully in Blake's case, but it was for a hell for a return), and now Simmonds).  I don't think EVERY single guy's gotta go because he has ties to Shero.  

EDIT:  And now Vats apparently, to Carolina.  

His 30 goals a season didn't move the needle in his 5 seasons here.  Arguably, the only thing that did move the needle was Hall having a Hart trophy winning season and KK playing out of his mind for 40 games.

Why do you want to keep a player around so badly for years to come when we aren't going to be good during those years?  Why is he so important?

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

I'm glad to see tissue paper soft Sami go

I was originally on board with Vats staying, but I'm fine with him going now.  Curious to see how high the pick is.  

this trade palmieri for anything nonsense has to stop. he is worth more to the devils than just about anyone else. I would require a good 1st + your team's 2nd or 3rd best NHL ready prospect to consider it and it's still a step back.

and it's not about his "leadership" even though there is that. some people talk about 25-30 goals and 50+ points like it's easily replaceable. news flash - it is NOT. not only wouldn't I trade him, i would extend him after next year for 5 x 6.5 w/o hesitation. this is not a guy that's going to fall off a cliff. he's proven remarkable consistent (if not a little streaky with how the points come). he is a link to NJ which doesn't mean nothing. he is a fan favorite which, when you're trying to get people in the seats, means a ton.

look - the devils do seem a long way away from contending. but consider this. if goalies not named blackwood were 10-12-0 instead of 3-15-3 the devils are two points out of the playoffs. and that's with them dealing away taylor hall early and getting nothing from hughes.

• Like 5

Bless Palms little heart if he signs an extension rather than running out his contract next year. I think he would certainly consider other options if it gets close to it becoming a reality. 

As a result they maybe forced to trade him at the deadline next year. 

Edited by titans04

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

His 30 goals a season didn't move the needle in his 5 seasons here.  Arguably, the only thing that did move the needle was Hall having a Hart trophy winning season and KK playing out of his mind for 40 games.

Why do you want to keep a player around so badly for years to come when we aren't going to be good during those years?  Why is he so important?

And why do you want to trade a good player for nothing just to "tear it down"? 

• Like 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

When you get bottom-of-the-league goaltending (and the Devils have certainly gotten their share of that lately), kinda hard for anyone to move the needle much.  

The Devils are getting goaltending now, and Palms has 23 points in his last 26 GP.  I've already explained...I think this is a guy who can be a piece as this team retools.  Sundstrom's post above is a good one.