Trade Deadline Thread Monday, Feb. 24. Time: 3 p.m. ET

Daniel

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

“simmonds sucks” followed by “we have wood and rooney” is a weird sentence to read. 

he isn’t great, but i like what he’s brought to the team. i also like that he’s an experienced vet who’s been in a leadership role since jack was in diapers. 

people here dramatically underestimate how important the makeup of a locker room is. i worry about who jack and nico are learning their leadership from, because those are the guys who’ll need to carry a good locker room forward when it’s time to ice a competitive hockey team.

I didn't mean wood and Rooney are some amazing hockey players but they will stand up for their teammates. There's no denying that aspect of their games. 

Zajac and Palms are still here, you don't think those two are good role models? I'm sure we'll add some sort of veteran type player in the off season too. 

You can't really criticize Fitz for the wheeling and dealing aspect of this - the market is what it is. It's more an issue of pulling the trigger at the right time and choosing the right prospects and we really don't get enough info to judge. Was there a fourth on the table for Simmonds a week ago? Who were the other prospects offered for Vatanen? You just never know.

It sounds to me like there is a broken bone in Vatanen's foot - just bad luck there. What I do like about what Fitz did today is what he said about Palmieri. He basically said that he's hard to replace and the he wasn't going to trade him unless he was offered something just ridiculously good. That's the right attitude given the Coleman trade. We have enough first round picks and not enough players now. It also really won't really ever be fair to judge Fitz's tenure if he isn't given the chance to run the upcoming draft. That's when he'll be able to really prove himself and put the picks he acquired to good [or bad] use. You'll notice that outside of Bahl, the Devils got nothing back really in terms of defense in any of their trades. That's a problem and Fitz is probably going to have to figure out how to trade one of our first round picks for a d-man.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

You'll notice that outside of Bahl, the Devils got nothing back really in terms of defense in any of their trades. That's a problem and Fitz is probably going to have to figure out how to trade one of our first round picks for a d-man.

Yeah it’s gonna be a pretty thin lineup for the rest of this season. #ItsMermisTime

Well, we chopped as much age as we could this last week ..vatanen got hurt at the worst time, Simmonds is no biggie... PK is ours for 2 more, Sevs 3 more... that about it for known quanties.. keep fingers crossed on bahl and ty.. is mirco mueller a top 4 paring for us  next year? Another 1 year deal? Oh boy

To think it would be a quick fix even with Shero still in place is silly.  Our entire defensive corps is a mess and probably the worst in the league. You don't fix that overnight.  We have one decent goalie who has never started more than 50 games in a season and no one to back him up at all.

1 minute ago, EdgeControl said:

Is mirco mueller a top 4 paring for us  next year? Another 1 year deal? Oh boy

So far I’d rather have Mermis. He hasn’t been bad defensively and he’s not afraid to shoot the puck. Plus, as I’ve mentioned, we’d save a lot of money on altering jerseys to make the neck hole larger to fit over Mirco’s gigantic head. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, jagknife said:

My favorite part of today has to be when Fitz held his press conference and was asked repeatedly by a reporter who won’t be named, he shot the individual down pretty fast. Loved it

I thought that was a great answer by Fitz. He listened to offers, nothing of that great of value was offered and he decided to keep Palms instead of trading him for the sake of trading him. I like it. 

• Like 1

She seems kind of annoying, but I can’t get on her too much for asking the question.  There were fans who were wondering.

Loved the answer though.  Agree with it fully.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

NJ now has the most cap space in the league.

Since the Devils are at the cap floor now apparently and have plenty to spend next year it would be lovely if ownership was willing to use some of this loot to trade for more assets.  The season is lost, so why not help out some other teams in return for some picks or young players?  I would wager that next season will be poor as well since all these picks won’t be NHL ready for at least a few years.  So amass a war chest of assets and out the franchise in a place where they can wheel and deal for what they want long-term.

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

wonder what we're getting for Dom? a 7th from 2045 ? 

Seems a bit high..... they’re probably just giving the Devils a Subway coupon for 15% off..... in 2045.

• Haha 1

Just now, AEWHistory said:

Seems a bit high..... they’re probably just giving the Devils a Subway coupon for 15% off..... in 2045.

This is going to turn out to be a great deal. With an inflation rate of approximately 2% annually, a $5 foot long will cost about $6.50 in 2045 (more if you compound it annually), making that coupon even more valuable. 

• Haha 1