Trade Deadline Thread Monday, Feb. 24. Time: 3 p.m. ET

Daniel

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’d only be able to be happy about it if Zach wasn’t. Where I’m from we hold grudges forever lol.

I'm right there with ya, just think it would be hilarious if they got the band back together and managed to miss the playoffs every year and then he retired earlier so the wild could take that insane cap hit lol

26 minutes ago, MB3 said:

jack and nico came out and spoke about simmonds the way i was expecting.

that voice in the locker room for those young leaders isn’t worth a fifth round pick. 

If not having Wayne Simmonds around for two months makes them even slightly worse players, then the team is really screwed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

For what they returned, i would have been happier holding onto both players. Simmonds is a bully that’s got Jack and Nico’s back. I’ll give you ten bucks if you can name any fifth rounder the devils have drafted in the past decade off the top of your head.

Vatanen is the best defenseman on the team — keeping him would’ve made it easier to re-sign him. I’m sure Fitzgerald got what the market could offer, and that’s fine, but if the best you could do was a 3rd and a guy who projects to be a 4th line pass-first winger, just hold on to the guy. Not like we’ll pass detroit in the tankathon anyway.

I looked it up out of curiosity, and they drafted Kerfoot in the 5th, who already has 215 GP in the NHL. 

Gilles Senn is starting to show some potential down in Bing. Those are really the only two worth mentioning, but I still think getting something for Simmonds was better than nothing. 

Studenic was also drafted in the 5th, and Rykov - the Devils have missed a lot of 5ths over the last few years with Lou, they traded them in 2010, 2013, 2015. 

I don't particularly like the Simmonds trade, but on the other hand, the Devils have some RWs that they should get some time for here.  Joey Anderson has played very well since his recall, Merkley too.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Studenic was also drafted in the 5th, and Rykov - the Devils have missed a lot of 5ths over the last few years with Lou, they traded them in 2010, 2013, 2015. 

I don't particularly like the Simmonds trade, but on the other hand, the Devils have some RWs that they should get some time for here.  Joey Anderson has played very well since his recall, Merkley too.  

I agree, I've loved Anderson's play. 

Simmonds was essentially put on waivers ..he was done here. It didnt work out no big deal zzzzzz

Who here was giving sami 5 to 7 with two concussions.. I might have but I can't kill the org.. and most likely he wanted out anyway.. plus he hasn't laced skates in a month ..another zzzzz

We need 2 25 goal scorers to step up from our core or draft and a top pairing dman.. our motto now is HOPE

• Like 1

11 hours ago, titans04 said:

ESPN ranks winners and losers and we're.............................. neither.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28774554/winners-losers-nhl-trade-deadline

I think Fitz did pretty well under the circumstances...the author writes as though the guy was supposed to hit a friggin' grand slam on every deal both leading up to and at the deadline.  Fitz and the Devils clearly got some bad luck with Vatanen getting hurt...at least Fitz was able to get something for someone who likely wasn't coming back anyway (especially with the concussion history and now two seasons in a row missing considerable time...originally I was on-board with the idea of Vats being re-signed, but far less so now).  Better to move him than hanging onto him and getting nothing.    

Not sure why the author is knocking the Hall deal (or the timing of it).  For one, Hall does have an injury history...I can't blame Shero for not fvcking around on that one; the team was 9-16-5 and going nowhere, and Hall to that point (knock on wood) had yet to miss any games due to injuries.  For another, Devils sorely need young defensive prospects, and they got one in Bahl...and a first-rounder to boot, and some extras.  And not like Hall's addition has done much for the Yotes...they're 12-14-4 since he arrived (and just 6-10-4 in their past 20).  If Hall had gotten hurt at any point had he stayed here, this same author is probably ripping the Devils for not having moved him early enough.  

What's funny is that it does seem like some people expected the Devils to pry some super future scorer prospect away in any Hall deal...but if a team had a player like that who was that close (and practically guaranteed to be cost-effective for quite some time), why the hell are they trading him for an injury-prone guy who may not even stick around?  There's things you can get on Shero for, and it's too early in Fitz's time here to go too crazy about anything he's done so far (though if he gets the job and makes Nas the permanent head coach, Fitz will definitely lose considerable "Benefit of the Doubt" points with me).  But all things considered, I think both Shero and Fitz did a pretty solid job as sellers this season.   

8 hours ago, Triumph said:

What don't you like about it?  Are 21 more games of Simmonds really going to make some lasting impact on the young guys here?  Sure, it sounds like he'll be missed for now, but they'll get over it.  He wasn't going to be back in 2020-21 anyway (at least, he SHOULDN'T be, based on his current skill level).  So instead of hearing about how he'll be missed in February, we would've heard about that in the offseason.  

I'd rather see Anderson and Merkley...they may or may not have a future here, but Simmonds definitely didn't.  

Having stopped posting here and mostly lurking, the one thing I notice is there are a number of posters who are very unrealistic about what players are worth. Since this team appears to be going nowhere then, logically, every move is a mistake. This is a lost season... and so is the next. Try to get players who you build with and embrace the suck until they arrive. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure why...no one's done that the last two pages.  

Not to mention what exactly is 20 games of an injured UFA-to-be worth?  At least Fitz got something for him.  

Precisely this.  Of course I wish we got more, but all things considered, we're lucky that we got something halfway decent for him.  There's no guarantee he's going to sign with Carolina, so why would they or any other team pay some exorbitant price for him?   Obviously this time of year teams try to add pieces to help them make a playoff push, but the guy is hurt, so there's no guarantee he'll even be able to do that.  

If Smith and/or Bahl make the team next year, that will help our current D situation a little bit.  Given our abundance of cap space, I suspect we'll probably go after another D-man in free agency as well, and probably a LW or RW too.

4 minutes ago, SC Devs Fan said:

Having stopped posting here and mostly lurking, the one thing I notice is there are a number of posters who are very unrealistic about what players are worth. Since this team appears to be going nowhere then, logically, every move is a mistake. This is a lost season... and so is the next. Try to get players who you build with and embrace the suck until they arrive. 

Assuming Blackwood can continue to play well (he's put up a 21-12-7 record this year) and the Devils can get a backup who isn't a complete disaster (I'd happily sign up for Robin Lehner), I don't think next season is necessarily lost...not saying it will result in a Cup, but I'd like to believe that next season won't start off 0-4-2 and 9-17-5.  And hopefully there's a legit HC behind the bench.    

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SC Devs Fan said:

I can't say I disagree about people overestimating what players are worth, but I definitely disagree that next season is somehow already lost.  I think that's a terribly narrow-minded and pessimistic viewpoint.  You have no idea what the draft and/or off-season will bring, and we have a ton of cap space, so there's reason to believe that we may make a big move or two.  Frankly, I expect it.  We traded away a few pieces this season that left some holes, so that right there suggests that we'll be active over the summer, plus, we're going to have a new GM, and whether or not that's Fitz or someone else, they're going to want to make some moves and probably be eager to start building this team the way they want.  

Lost in the sense making the playoffs next year would be a success... and 1/2 the teams make the playoffs. Time is needed for the new pieces and Hughes to grow and that won't happen in a year. The moves being made should be looking 2 years into the future, making that team competitive for the division. Next year is just too quick. 

20 minutes ago, SC Devs Fan said:

Lost in the sense making the playoffs next year would be a success... and 1/2 the teams make the playoffs. Time is needed for the new pieces and Hughes to grow and that won't happen in a year. The moves being made should be looking 2 years into the future, making that team competitive for the division. Next year is just too quick. 

Remember one key thing about the last two lost seasons...all goalies not named Blackwood have combined for an .8898 save% over that timeframe.  Notice how the guy who has a .916 save% during those same two seasons has a put up a far more respectable 31-22-7 record in his decisions.  Yes, this team is still rough around the edges and there's definitely work to be done and they will need some of these young bodies and picks to work out...but things have looked a lot less dire when the Devils have gotten something resembling NHL goaltending.

This being said, please for the love of GOD I hope the Devils do not go into next season with Cory somehow being a realistic part of the mix.  That can't fvcking happen, no way.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Fitz did pretty well under the circumstances...the author writes as though the guy was supposed to hit a friggin' grand slam on every deal both leading up to and at the deadline.  

Not sure why the author is knocking the Hall deal (or the timing of it). 

If Hall had gotten hurt at any point had he stayed here, this same author is probably ripping the Devils for not having moved him early enough

Did you see who the author is? That's all you need to know and explains it completely. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This being said, please for the love of GOD I hope the Devils do not go into next season with Cory somehow being a realistic part of the mix.  That can't fvcking happen, no way.  

Just an idea...if that guy Ayres can go from being a zamboni driver to being an NHL goalie...can we just do the reverse and pay Cory $6m per year to drive fans around on the ice? Actually would be pretty cool to have an alumnus driving it, even if its a future alumnus lol. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Did you see who the author is? That's all you need to know and explains it completely. 

Yeah, but I think there's a fair number of fans who feel about the same.  Like SC alluded to, I agree that fans (and even the media) can overblow general player worth, and expect more than is realistic.  I think Shero (with Hall) and Fitz did pretty well with what they had to work with (and factoring in EVERYTHING), in terms of getting value back.  

• Like 2

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Just an idea...if that guy Ayres can go from being a zamboni driver to being an NHL goalie...can we just do the reverse and pay Cory $6m per year to drive fans around on the ice? Actually would be pretty cool to have an alumnus driving it, even if its a future alumnus lol. 

Answering my own question...no, because the Zamboni would pass right through his five-hole. 

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, but I think there's a fair number of fans who feel about the same.  Like SC alluded to, I agree that fans (and even the media) can overblow general player worth, and expect more than is realistic.  I think Shero (with Hall) and Fitz did pretty well with what they had to work with (and factoring in EVERYTHING), in terms of getting value back.  

I think Fitz did a great job too. I'm not sure why anyone would flip out about losing someone as sh!t as Simmonds but everyone's been in a pissy mood about this season including myself so I understand the overreacting even if I don't agree with all of it. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

If the last five years have taught us anything, the wheeling and dealing is only a small part of making a team successful, and even if Fitzy worked a miracle and got a first rounder from Carolina, it likely wasn’t going to mean a dramatic or even significant change in the fortunes of the franchise.

A few things are going to matter.  Is Jack going to be the special player he’s supposed to be.  Will Mac be at the very least a top ten goalie in the league for the foreseeable future.  Will we get a real coaching staff.  And will whoever’s plan it was to build a heavy and balanced defense pay off.