Trade Deadline Thread Monday, Feb. 24. Time: 3 p.m. ET

Daniel

No more games until the deadline and the Palmieri function is tonight, so probably stuff will start happening tomorrow.

Some chatter that Simmonds might be traded for Juolevi, which is much better than a low third rounder.

Sad, but I think Palmieri is getting traded, especially with the Rags being iffy about trading Kreider.  The prices for everything are so high right now, that we at least shouldn’t be disappointed in the return.

We’ll see with Vats.  Can’t remember the last time an injured player who wasn’t skating brought home very much.  If we can snag someone like Jamieson Rees for him, that would be ideal.

The wild card I think is really Severson.  Recency bias is definitely alive and well in the league.  Someone will pay a lot for him.

Should be entertaining at the very least.

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Absolutely no way they should trade Severson. He’s young enough to be part of the rebuild, and at the very least provides some decent offense from the back end. 

All I’m saying is that at some point someone offers you something that it’s very hard to say no to.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Who is Juolevi? 

Finnish defensemen who was the 5th pick overall in 2016.  Hasn’t cracked the NHL yet, and has been up and down since drafted, but has solid numbers in the AHL.  He could turn out to be nothing, but it’s more likely a third round pick that we get from some other good team will never play an NHL game.

Edited by Daniel

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I hope Simmonds and tissue paper soft Sami are gone. I'm fine with getting rid of Palms for the right price. If it's a crap deal though we are better off keeping him.

Same, is there even an ETA for Sami to return?  Would still prefer a sucker taking PK even if we retain the max % over dealing Palms but not overly passionate about it either.

Just now, Nicomo said:

Idk we’re just so thin on d, seems like a bad idea. Guess it depends on the offer though. 

It would be an extremely bold and almost unprecedented strategy, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that on Tuesday the Devils have 5 first round picks in this draft (assuming conditions are met), Noah Hanifin and Oli Joelevi. It could turn out to be a disaster, but at least it would be interesting.

I was never super down on Severson. And while i understand that at times some would want him out of the lineups forever... 

realistically... we're not in a situation to lose him our D is terrible. But it would be even worst without him. Especially if we don't have Vats next season.

This is not a case of Deboer overplaying old vets and not giving a shot to young guys... this is a case of... we literally have nobody better or ready at the moment. So we'd be worst without him. We know Subban will be gone in 2 seasons. We still need to see what Smith does... Bahl is probably 2 seasons away from making the NHL... then we know it's taking longer for dmen to adjust to the NHL so we're a few seasons from having those guys really having an impact.

I truly think it should be a priority to try to trade for a YOUNG top d prospect with one of our first round pick + wtv it takes. God knows how Walsh, Bernard and all those guys will pan out but i'd be surprised to see them next year

What i`m understand from this rebuild that doesnt ending on the horizon - rebuild must  start on defense. Good forwards born every year but they grow faster and they dont need much of support of time as d-men do. We have Hughes, Nico, Bratt, may be Foot, someone from Boqvist, Tompson, Talvitie, even Anderson, Merkley and Hoelscher look like something that can be something useful. they can somehow be predicted. With d-men it`s lottery all over the time. And now i can`t say that we have TWO defensmen that will solid and play on regular basis after 4-5 years. 

I dont think Sevs is a best d-man we can dream about but i dont wanna see Severson trade.

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Absolutely no way they should trade Severson. He’s young enough to be part of the rebuild, and at the very least provides some decent offense from the back end. 

You can afford to have one guy like that, who’s a little weaker defensively but provides offense. 

Problem is, the other 5 guys are weaker defensively too. 

With Severson, unless you think there’s Norris trophy potential there, you should listen very closely to trade offers.  He’s at the peak of his trade value as I’m typing this.  It wasn’t too long ago that Ghostisbere  was the next big thing, and now you hear about him perhaps needing the dreaded “fresh start.”  It can all go south quickly.

And Severson is expendable.  The Bruins pretty much wasted the picks they got for Dougie Hamilton, and they turned out ok.  

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

With Severson, unless you think there’s Norris trophy potential there, you should listen very closely to trade offers.  He’s at the peak of his trade value as I’m typing this.  It wasn’t too long ago that Ghostisbere  was the next big thing, and now you hear about him perhaps needing the dreaded “fresh start.”  It can all go south quickly.

And Severson is expendable.  The Bruins pretty much wasted the picks they got for Dougie Hamilton, and they turned out ok.  

the bruins could afford to get rid of hamilton cause they had a good D corp. 

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They lucked out with Brandon Carlo and McAvoy  who were both drafted after the trade.  

Well first they had to trade him cause he turned down an extension. But they still had Chara, Seidenberg, Krug, McQuaid, etc which is better than what we have now

29 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

At this point vats is just too unreliable .. hes gone.. so, dont see us being able to trade sevs, even for a first.. and the chance of that late 1st turning out better to much better isn't more than 50 50.. sevs is a second pairing kid. We have very few , let alone 1st..

If we’re talking a Severson trade in this market, I’d be thinking something like to Carolina for whatever turns out to be the better of their two firsts and Jamieson Rees, or perhaps to Winnipeg for their first unprotected and Dylan Samberg.  I wouldn’t trade him for the Bruins package for whatever they’re looking for.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

They lucked out with Brandon Carlo and McAvoy  who were both drafted after the trade.  

They still had Chara, Seidenberg, Krug, McQuaid. Which is better than what we have now. 

Also they HAD to trade Hamilton cause he refused to sign an extension so