GDT: Devils at Red Wings, 2/25/20, 7:30 pm

mfitz804

Ok, I like some low hanging fruit, why not try a GDT against a fellow bottom dweller. 

The first game of the post Cinco Domingo era. 

Who knows who is in goal.

Who knows what the lines are. 

Hockey might be played.

LGD

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

Now THAT is a GDT intro!

LGMFD!!!

EDIT:  Cory in goal.  Well, if there was ever a team to play him against, guess it's the Dead Things.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

C'mon Cory!   I still believe in you.
I mean...  I want to believe.

In 2020, in the AHL, Cory's posted a 5-3 record, 2.13 GAA,  .926 sv%
And I mean, Detroit is like a middling AHL team right?

I mean ignore his spot usage in January in the NHL across three games, for just under 100 mins...  4.81 GAA, .852 sv%

Edited by aylbert

5 minutes ago, aylbert said:

C'mon Cory!   I still believe in you.
I mean...  I want to believe.

In 2020, in the AHL, Cory's posted a 5-3 record, 2.13 GAA,  .926 sv%
And I mean, Detroit is like a middling AHL team right?

I mean ignore his spot usage in January in the NHL across three games, for just under 100 mins...  4.81 GAA, .852 sv%

.852 save percentage whilst giving up 50 shots a game doesn’t mesh well...

19 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Devils win 5-0. Schneider with a 22 save shut-out, none are difficult but our little ginger baby stops them all.

Severson has 3 points, finishes +2. Zacha has a shortie. Nico has a highlight reel goal. We all wish we played detroit more often.

go hockey

I’ll sign up for this. 

I can't believe this mother fvcker is back in net.  Nothing against him as a person - he seems like a fine human being, but I have absolutely zero confidence with him back there. 

Also, do we not have the thing going still where the previous GDT-maker gets to start the next GDT after a win?  

Let's Go Devils... 

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't believe this mother fvcker is back in net.  Nothing against him as a person - he seems like a fine human being, but I have absolutely zero confidence with him back there. 

Also, do we not have the thing going still where the previous GDT-maker gets to start the next GDT after a win?  

Let's Go Devils... 

He's really turned into this guy...another ginger with 9 Lives:

See the source image

• Like 1

It's great to see the league media finally starting to recognize the work that Mac has been doing. That's what happens when you play well for an extended period of time.

1892791236_Screenshot(1466).png.81db11361f48b037d2859f4fd2e5c23c.png

On top of the stats listed above, Blackwood's play since December has moved him up to 4th in the league in 5v5 GSAx (goals saved above expected - a measure of save quality) for the entire season.

387660008_Screenshot(1467).thumb.png.cc2c864ef0b6e69b3ad4b9673a8754f1.png

And since that December 14th date, Blackwood easily has the highest 5v5 GSAx in the league (chart below). Since that date, Blackwood also has the highest GSAx in all situations. It was some early season weak goals against that sees him pretty far down the list for all situations GSAx since day one of the season.

421989567_Screenshot(1468).thumb.png.79f7ca52cd3a4738931f0bc1e28418dc.png

The stats above show two things. 1. The Devils aren't the best defensively and 2. Blackwood has consistently been making some of the most difficult saves in the league. Despite some poor showings, on the whole, if Blackwood finishes strong, he'll have had, in my view, an elite season. And he's a rookie. He's 21-12-7 on a team that is far away from making the playoffs. Pretty crazy.

30 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The season has been written off since late October.  Who cares how many games are won or lost now.  Frankly losing more games now is beneficial to our long term goals.

I admit it, since Mac has been stepping up, I have been enjoying seeing this team win some games, and putting up a decent record in their last 30 (even if that could be a little counterproductive).  This trip represents the last potential "soft spot" in their schedule...it gets a lot tougher after that.  And considering the current state of the Devils D (MerMAN, Giant Head, Carrick and Claussen are all in the lineup tonight), there will probably be only so much that Blackwood will be able to overcome down the stretch.  And really scary to think what will happen in Cory's starts...

47 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

It's great to see the league media finally starting to recognize the work that Mac has been doing. That's what happens when you play well for an extended period of time.

The stats above show two things. 1. The Devils aren't the best defensively and 2. Blackwood has consistently been making some of the most difficult saves in the league. Despite some poor showings, on the whole, if Blackwood finishes strong, he'll have had, in my view, an elite season. And he's a rookie. He's 21-12-7 on a team that is far away from making the playoffs. Pretty crazy.

Re:  Mac, on one hand, I'm pretty optimistic, because since Cory's game basically abandoned him (save for the occasional bursts here and there), and KK turned back into the kind of goalie who shouldn't be starting for extended periods, Mac has been the one guy who looks like he can give the Devils actual NHL-level goaltending.

Just not sure how sustainable it all is...and that's not a knock on Mac in the slightest, because I think he's done a terrific job.  But the current D-corp is really a joke...I get that Claussen is this year's Prout (a warm body to finish out the season), and Massive Dome hopefully won't be back as well...but unless some of the kids are somehow ready to jump in and able to assimilate right away, and/or unless Fitz is going to try to shore up the D with a UFA signing or two, and can also find a coach who can get a lot of out a little...

I just hope this kid gets some damned help in front of him.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I admit it, since Mac has been stepping up, I have been enjoying seeing this team win some games, and putting up a decent record in their last 30 (even if that could be a little counterproductive).  This trip represents the last potential "soft spot" in their schedule...it gets a lot tougher after that.  And considering the current state of the Devils D (MerMAN, Giant Head, Carrick and Claussen are all in the lineup tonight), there will probably be only so much that Blackwood will be able to overcome down the stretch.  And really scary to think what will happen in Cory's starts...

It's the end of February and I am still a little bit interested in the season.  That is an improvement over last year where I checked out after the 1/31 game against the Rangers where I believe Zid scored a hat trick on us at home.  I still feel like the team is still a (mostly) NHL team albeit a poor one while last year with the injuries and trades the team felt like the Bing Devils.

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Mac, on one hand, I'm pretty optimistic, because since Cory's game basically abandoned him (save for the occasional bursts here and there), and KK turned back into the kind of goalie who shouldn't be starting for extended periods, Mac has been the one guy who looks like he can give the Devils actual NHL-level goaltending.

Just not sure how sustainable it all is...and that's not a knock on Mac in the slightest, because I think he's done a terrific job.  But the current D-corp is really a joke...I get that Claussen is this year's Prout (a warm body to finish out the season), and Massive Dome hopefully won't be back as well...but unless some of the kids are somehow ready to jump in and able to assimilate right away, and/or unless Fitz is going to try to shore up the D with a UFA signing or two, and can also find a coach who can get a lot of out a little...

I just hope this kid gets some damned help in front of him.  

The Devils were already going to have to add d-men this offseason before they traded Greene and Vatanen. Now they have a long road ahead of them. Hopefully both Smith and Bahl can at least slot into the lineup somewhere in the next two years but neither of them are going to be better than either Greene or Vatanen next year. I think it's very likely Fitz moves a first round pick for defensive help.

As for Mac, yeah you can't cherry pick sample sizes. I myself am rather uncomfortable ever using the the phrasing, "since "x" date, "x" player has been good." That's not how stats work - but you do have to choose some sort of parameters to confine your statistical observations within and a three month run is not a bad chunk of season. No one can be sure of Blackwood's future at the moment but that he's a rookie and playing like this, I do think it's a very good sign for things to come. But any netminder can go from starter to backup status or vice versa in a year's time, such are just the vicissitudes of goaltending. So, no conclusions drawn here and my point is only that Blackwood has been superb this year and I wanted to highlight that with the underlying numbers.