GDT: Devils at Red Wings, 2/25/20, 7:30 pm

mfitz804

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Was more saying the dumb of it being a major. Either way, he stuck up for his teammate a day after we were left vulnerable with the trading of the greatest tough guy to ever lace them up*

*-according to some 

Oh understood then. I mean he cross checked him right in the chops, that’s pretty much a major. 10 minutes left up by 3, I would care, 45 seconds, minor, double minor, major...who cares?

If Hayden gets suspended a few games...again, who cares??

Perfect play IMHO, message was sent, that’s the way you protect your guy. 

PK and Bertuzzi throwing gloves at each other was pretty funny. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh understood then. I mean he cross checked him right in the chops, that’s pretty much a major. 10 minutes left up by 3, I would care, 45 seconds, minor, double minor, major...who cares?

If Hayden gets suspended a few games...again, who cares??

Perfect play IMHO, message was sent, that’s the way you protect your guy. 

PK and Bertuzzi throwing gloves at each other was pretty funny. 

Yeah very fair points all around. 

5 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

and don't forget the starting goaltender Cory Schneider

Stop. sh!tting. On. My. Good. Ducking. Day!

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Saw someone on another site talking about him maybe being “back for real” this time...

image.gif.f6e5fb7e7811858595e6d76039b145ee.gif

His mental state has been fragile for some time.  We have consider this a confidence booster for him.  We will have to see what his next start brings; we know he has the skill set.  But does HE believe it?  That's the real crux of the matter.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

His mental state has been fragile for some time.  We have consider this a confidence booster for him.  We will have to see what his next start brings; we know he has the skill set.  But does HE believe it?  That's the real crux of the matter.

No way I’m falling for this again. Idc if he goes 10-0 the rest of the way. He CAN’T be on this team next season. It’s not fair to the rest of the players. Or the new coach (hopefully). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

He finished last season with a .927 save% over his last 14 GP.  Everyone was talking about how great he looked in preseason, how he was ready to go...well, we saw how that went.

Yeah, I can’t possibly agree with Nicomo more.  I don’t care what Cory does the rest of this year...I can’t trust him. Burned one too many times.

I’m hoping the Devils go after Lehner, even if they have to overpay a little to do it.  He’s a solid puck stopper and would be a perfect 30 - 35 start guy, who could even play more if needed.  I hope Cory is either bought out or made to play out his final two seasons at Bingo.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

No way I’m not saving that to re-post constantly lol. 

Yeah, I knew instantly that would be used as the official comeback on here after someone says something stupid, and probably for a LONG time. 

I don't know what's better - the fact that he says shut the fvck up, and very clearly at that, or the expression on his face while he says it - almost like a, "You're an annoying piece of sh!t". 

And to add to my prior post...as much as I'd prefer that the Devils just fully move on, I can live with Cory hanging around in Bingo for the next two years as the "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" guy, if the Devils decide that they don't want dead money on their 2022-23 and 2023-24 caps.  But I REALLY hope if he's gotta be in the organization, it's as the firm #3, and is not seen as a guy with a chance to play with the big team out of preseason.   

Blackwood goes RFA this offseason...I get the feeling he's impressed the Devils enough that I think this gets done pretty painlessly...something to the tune of 3-4 years...if Wood can get a four-year deal and Zacha can get three, I sure as hell don't see why Mac shouldn't get as many.  I'd love to see Lehner signed to a 2-3 year deal...but considering that he's been a #1 in the past, and has played well the last couple of seasons, he may look for a team where he feels like he has a little less competition, and a clearer path to being a 50+ start guy again (he's done that before).  

Guess the Devils could sign Halak (he'll be cheaper than Lehner, though cap space clearly isn't an issue with the Devils right now), though he's about to enter his age 35 season.  Has been good the past couple of years though.  Guess you could do worse.  

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And to add to my prior post...as much as I'd prefer that the Devils just fully move on, I can live with Cory hanging around in Bingo for the next two years as the "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" guy, if the Devils decide that they don't want dead money on their 2022-23 and 2023-24 caps.  But I REALLY hope if he's gotta be in the organization, it's as the firm #3, and is not seen as a guy with a chance to play with the big team out of preseason.   

Blackwood goes RFA this offseason...I get the feeling he's impressed the Devils enough that I think this gets done pretty painlessly...something to the tune of 3-4 years...if Wood can get a four-year deal and Zacha can get three, I sure as hell don't see why Mac shouldn't get as many.  I'd love to see Lehner signed to a 2-3 year deal...but considering that he's been a #1 in the past, and has played well the last couple of seasons, he may look for a team where he feels like he has a little less competition, and a clearer path to being a 50+ start guy again (he's done that before).  

Guess the Devils could sign Halak (he'll be cheaper than Lehner, though cap space clearly isn't an issue with the Devils right now), though he's about to enter his age 35 season.  Has been good the past couple of years though.  Guess you could do worse.  

I think the B’s would be insane to let Halak go, especially if they have no goalies anywhere close to being ready. That being said, he’s kept them afloat when Rask was shaky/hurt and I would absolutely love to snag him. Lehner like you said will probably look for a number 1 role, but who knows, maybe close to 50-50 would be enough. No, that isn’t a sh!t at Mac folks, that is an insurance policy incase he gets hurt or needs a spell for a bit. I say it often, goalies aren’t doing the Marty thing of 70 starts anymore. 30 isn’t out of the question, nor should it be if you have a capable backup.

This should be the final year of seeing Schneider on the NJ Devils without their being an injury to the other two goalies we have in the big club, whoever we get to back up Mac.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I knew instantly that would be used as the official comeback on here after someone says something stupid, and probably for a LONG time. 

I don't know what's better - the fact that he says shut the fvck up, and very clearly at that, or the expression on his face while he says it - almost like a, "You're an annoying piece of sh!t". 

It’s my new favorite gif...lol

image.gif.4471fb17db41987e578893a4c91ed0cf.gif

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I think the B’s would be insane to let Halak go, especially if they have no goalies anywhere close to being ready. That being said, he’s kept them afloat when Rask was shaky/hurt and I would absolutely love to snag him. Lehner like you said will probably look for a number 1 role, but who knows, maybe close to 50-50 would be enough. No, that isn’t a sh!t at Mac folks, that is an insurance policy incase he gets hurt or needs a spell for a bit. I say it often, goalies aren’t doing the Marty thing of 70 starts anymore. 30 isn’t out of the question, nor should it be if you have a capable backup.

This should be the final year of seeing Schneider on the NJ Devils without their being an injury to the other two goalies we have in the big club, whoever we get to back up Mac.

I like what I've seen of Mac, but yeah, too early to say that he's proven.  Nice to have a guy with experience who can step up if needed.  Right now the Devils don't have anyone close to that behind Mac.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m wondering if Lehner and Vegas work out a deal depending on theirs and Fleury’s plans for the future. He’s got a .906 save percentage which is apparently one of the lowest amongst starting goaltenders, while Lehner was at .918. 

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m wondering if Lehner and Vegas work out a deal depending on theirs and Fleury’s plans for the future. He’s got a .906 save percentage which is apparently one of the lowest amongst starting goaltenders, while Lehner was at .918. 

Yeah Vegas very well could've made that deal hoping to hang onto Lehner themselves.  Not sure what their cap situation is though.  

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Hughes needs a talking to about his interviews. He is a terrible post game interview.  Plus his quotes coming from that post game will not endear him around the league.  Saying he got hit too much is one.......there were others.

Maybe Cory should ground him...

Personally, I’m digging feisty Jack. Didn’t watch any postgame stuff though. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Maybe Cory should ground him...

Personally, I’m digging feisty Jack. Didn’t watch any postgame stuff though. 

lol. I wonder if he's still staying with him?

Read some quotes. Since he's been here he's a bore of an interview. All clichés..........but he did stick up for himself when one of the reporters said to him that he's been manhandled (or to that affect) this year and he disputed that...........

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I like what I've seen of Mac, but yeah, too early to say that he's proven.  Nice to have a guy with experience who can step up if needed.  Right now the Devils don't have anyone close to that behind Mac.  

Not really sure I follow the "proven" thing. Even the best goalies can get suddenly start to slip or have down years a la Murray and Vasilevsky (or get injured a la Kuemper). Whether Mac is "proven" or not the Devils need to try and get the best goaltender they can to be part of a 1-2 punch with Blalckwood. It's only really when you have three good goaltenders that you can start wondering whether you need all of them a la the Rangers who, by the way, would be best served finding a way to get rid of Lundqvist by retaining some salary or throwing in an asset with him. Though his situation is complicated because he can still play and with  only one year left on his deal after this season, he's not a complete albatross. Other than that, the Devils should sign or trade for the best goalie they can - taking into account cap projections for the coming years - and let him and Blackwood compete for playing time.