GDT: Devils at Red Wings, 2/25/20, 7:30 pm

mfitz804

On 2/25/2020 at 12:39 PM, Daniel said:

If the last five years have taught us anything, the wheeling and dealing is only a small part of making a team successful, and even if Fitzy worked a miracle and got a first rounder from Carolina, it likely wasn’t going to mean a dramatic or even significant change in the fortunes of the franchise.

A few things are going to matter.  Is Jack going to be the special player he’s supposed to be.  Will Mac be at the very least a top ten goalie in the league for the foreseeable future.  Will we get a real coaching staff.  And will whoever’s plan it was to build a heavy and balanced defense pay off.

Bring in a veteran like Lehner, or Halak to alleviate some pressure off Blackwood that can actually wins games. That’s the least of our worries though. 

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Not really sure I follow the "proven" thing. Even the best goalies can get suddenly start to slip or have down years a la Murray and Vasilevsky (or get injured a la Kuemper). Whether Mac is "proven" or not the Devils need to try and get the best goaltender they can to be part of a 1-2 punch with Blalckwood. It's only really when you have three good goaltenders that you can start wondering whether you need all of them a la the Rangers who, by the way, would be best served finding a way to get rid of Lundqvist by retaining some salary or throwing in an asset with him. Though his situation is complicated because he can still play and with  only one year left on his deal after this season, he's not a complete albatross. Other than that, the Devils should sign or trade for the best goalie they can - taking into account cap projections for the coming years - and let him and Blackwood compete for playing time.

I like Mac a lot and am extremely hopeful that he can be a #1 here for several years (meaning 5 or more), but just too early to know for sure yet.  And yeah, of course he can have a down year, or a relatively short prime...but if he turns in a good year next year after turning in a fine one this year, I'm going to feel safer with the idea that he can truly be the guy (or one who's more "proven").  That being said, I fully get that the Martys of the NHL (or guys who enjoy very long and consistent primes) are not exactly commonplace.  

If you've read my other posts, you'll see that I've been saying that the Devils need to go out and get a solid vet who, depending on how things shake out, can be counted on to competently play 30-50 games.  I've already mentioned Lehner and Halak.  Would love Lehner.  To me he'd be the perfect fit.  And the Devils are in a position that they could overpay him a little. 

7 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I don't know why Lehner would come here.  Blackwood is clearly establishing himself as the starter and Lehner has been starter quality the last 2 years.  The Devils are going to struggle to find a competent backup this off-season - but they should still buy Cory out.

one reason - money.

the devils can also offer term which looks like all this guy wants.

with that said, i am unclear on if you can only protect one goalie or you must make available one goalie for expansion. so if the devils sign lehner lets say to 3/15 and give him an NMC (which based on his last couple years, i'd bet he'd insist on), does that mean they have to expose blackwood?

7 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I don't know why Lehner would come here.  Blackwood is clearly establishing himself as the starter and Lehner has been starter quality the last 2 years.  The Devils are going to struggle to find a competent backup this off-season - but they should still buy Cory out.

Yeah I noted in an earlier post that he might prefer to go to a team where there's a clearer path to becoming more of an undisputed #1.  But like Sundstrom just pointed out, Devils have the cap room to pay him, and can offer him a few years.  Not sure about how this would all work with the expansion draft though.  

8 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

one reason - money.

with that said, i am unclear on if you can only protect one goalie or you must make available one goalie for expansion. so if the devils sign lehner lets say to 3/15 and give him an NMC (which based on his last couple years, i'd bet he'd insist on), does that mean they have to expose blackwood?

My understanding would be yes, so there's no way on earth they should give him a NMC. 

in Googling the rules for the expansion draft, I noticed that VGK is excluded and their players cannot be selected. That's interesting. 

8 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

one reason - money.

Why would the Devils give Lehner term?  They have Blackwood.  And yes, they can only protect 1 goalie for expansion, so it would mean exposing Blackwood or Lehner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Why would the Devils give Lehner term?  They have Blackwood.  And yes, they can only protect 1 goalie for expansion, so it would mean exposing Blackwood or Lehner.

because if we've learned anything, it's that to be successful, you really need two goalies. and while i have faith in blackwood, there's a not insignificant chance he turns into a pumpkin.

expansion does throw a wrench into it so whoever the devils sign is going to be for one year. frankly, with where the cap is at, i would give lehner 1 year and even $6.5MM.

i'm sure they could find some scrub goalie for expansion or something but that might actually be a reason to keep cory around (and just send him back to bingo next year) so he's exposable.

Lehner is likely out of the picture for the Devils but the expansion draft really shouldn't deter the Devils from acquiring a second goalie. So you have to expose one...so what? Protect the one you think is better. Should the Devils purposely have one crappy goalie for an entire season just to avoid having one taken away? I'm not sure never having a player at all beats having the player for one season. Okay, maybe don't trade significant assets for one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

why not? do it harder next time, see if you can make him spit up some chiclets.

that was the third time in the game Hughes had been hit high and/or late, and it happened as time expired. 

protect your franchise. if they slap him on the wrist, cut their fvcking hand off.

Just to clarify, I have no problem with someone taking a run at a guy who initiated a knee on knee collision and caused a guy to be injured. 

But, in turn, I also have no problem with defending that guy when he's 12 years old and weighs 85 pounds. 

30 minutes ago, MB3 said:

why not? do it harder next time, see if you can make him spit up some chiclets.

that was the third time in the game Hughes had been hit high and/or late, and it happened as time expired. 

protect your franchise. if they slap him on the wrist, cut their fvcking hand off.

That's just f*cking stupid.   Hughes earned his hits.......and if a teammate wants to defend a hit on him....which they should.......fight the guy then. Don't blast him clear across the face with your stick.  Have some respect

2 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The Devils should get a goalie, but goalies like Lehner aren't going to want to go somewhere where they might be taken in expansion.  That's why they won't get him.

Yeah I really don't see that as a realistic possibility. Nobody making that kind of money who fell they can be a starter is going to sign up for being taken in the expansion draft. 

Of course, last time that team went to the Stanley Cup Finals, so who the fvck knows lol. 

8 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

He cant be exposed, he has to be protected due to his contract.  NMC I think.

EDIT: I think I was wrong. I don't think you are required to protect a guy with a No Trade Clause as opposed to a No Movement Clause. The expansion draft isn't a trade, and the rules state only that NMC's have to be protected. 

Thus, The Ginger Ninja can be exposed. 

See this old Tweet from CapFriendly:

Edited by mfitz804